Menu

Parent Taught Driver's Ed in Texas

I used Driver Ed in a Box. It's laid out very nicely so you are absolutely sure what you're supposed to do and when you're supposed to do it. I used it with my oldest and now I'm using it with my middle dd.

It's an approved program in Texas.

You will have to order a kit for each of your kids, but you get a discount for the sibling.

The state curriculum mentioned by Tejas Mamacita is not available anymore. We have used for our 1st, and are currently using for our 2nd, 'Help for the Teenager Who Wants to Drive' by the National Driver's Institute. It is not as expensive as 'Driver's Ed in a Box' and is very thorough. We will use it again for our 3rd son. You will have to pay a separate fee for each student.

Susan

and things have changed a bit since we started. DPS no longer allows parents to create their own curriculum from the lesson plans that DPS provided (used to be course #101).

The curriculum providers are listed here:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/DriverLicense/ptdeCourses.htm

We have used Virtual Drive of Texas, and have been very happy with their materials and their customer service. The package is full price for the first student and half price for additional siblings.

You should check on the laws that are on the books now for graduated licensing; I will today--it seems that there may be additional requirements that weren't in place when I first started this...something about an additional 20 hours of driving instruction to get their provisional license. It won't matter for us, as my kids drive and drive and drive before I let them go to DPS to get their license--I just need to make sure I have all the paperwork filled out scorrectly so things go smoothly.

I have found that if we have everything done correctly, the DPS folks are so grateful that they treat us *very* nicely. :) They get an awful lot of abuse heaped upon them.

Yes, that is the one we are using. We actually also paid a separate fee to get a print copy of the material as well. My husband uses that to help him to be more familiar with what ds has been studying before they do guided practice driving. But it isn't necessary to get a print copy, the program is complete on-line.

Susan

• 3 months later...
The state curriculum mentioned by Tejas Mamacita is not available anymore. We have used for our 1st, and are currently using for our 2nd, 'Help for the Teenager Who Wants to Drive' by the National Driver's Institute. It is not as expensive as 'Driver's Ed in a Box' and is very thorough. We will use it again for our 3rd son. You will have to pay a separate fee for each student.

Susan

I know this is from April of this year but I have some Drivers Ed questions. the state program (101) is on the website of approved courses. Was it at one time unavailable, like at the time of this this thread, but now it is available? Has anyone used this course? Do you receive any kind of certificate of completion? Did you print out the workbook?

Why would you choose another program over this one?

The DL site says instructor must present bill of sale, samples of worksheets, or certificate of completion (if provided by course).... Did you need a certificate?

I have spent way too much time researching Drivers Ed programs in Texas and I feel I have no idea why to choose one program over another!!!!

I know this is from April of this year but I have some Drivers Ed questions. the state program (101) is on the website of approved courses. Was it at one time unavailable, like at the time of this this thread, but now it is available? Has anyone used this course? Do you receive any kind of certificate of completion? Did you print out the workbook?

Why would you choose another program over this one?

The DL site says instructor must present bill of sale, samples of worksheets, or certificate of completion (if provided by course).... Did you need a certificate?

I have spent way too much time researching Drivers Ed programs in Texas and I feel I have no idea why to choose one program over another!!!!

We're using this one now. It's been fine. It's not fancy, but it's getting the job done. We are only doing the on-line course, we didn't buy the $65 book or the $10 CD.

I had the worksheets and test sheets printed for less than $8. We're keeping those to turn in. We also have a registration paper from the state. That was $20 and you have to have it before you are allowed to start teaching.

BTW, dd is doing the concurrent program. After she completed the first module, she took the permit test. Now she's driving and completing the other modules. Students can also do the block program: finish all the modules then get a permit. 101 allows doing it either way, but not all courses do.

hth!

We're using this one now. It's been fine. It's not fancy, but it's getting the job done. We are only doing the on-line course, we didn't buy the $65 book or the $10 CD.

I had the worksheets and test sheets printed for less than $8. We're keeping those to turn in. We also have a registration paper from the state. That was $20 and you have to have it before you are allowed to start teaching.

BTW, dd is doing the concurrent program. After she completed the first module, she took the permit test. Now she's driving and completing the other modules. Students can also do the block program: finish all the modules then get a permit. 101 allows doing it either way, but not all courses do.

hth!

That was very helpful!! Thank you!!!! Do you know if you will get a certificate of completion when dd is done? Or does bringing the tests/worksheets take place of the certificate?

Thanks again!!