Menu

Ham strikes again...this time he goes after SWB in earnest

How do we begin to speak up for ourselves while having nothing to do with this mess publicly?

I think you are very right.

SWB started. She offered to do home conventions and these are seeds that will all hope will eventually turn into something bigger.

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

conservative christian homeschoolers have the vocal majority.

I'm disgusted by the whole thing except SWB's class. She's got more than I do, that's for sure.

I'm beginning to realize that I can no longer consider myself a "conservative Christian homeschooler" - I'm a homeschooler who happens to be a conservative Christian. I want no part in Ken Ham, I do not like him Sam I am.

Guest Dulcimeramy

Karen Campbell at www.thatmom.com has covered the homeschool manifesto thing, but there are too many links for me to sort out. (I just went to find them and gave up.)

Here is something useful, though: John Holzmann's blog posts about that summit in Indianapolis. Here is part 1.

Here is something to read about John Holzmann and Sonlight having their troubles with homeschooling conventions for being the wrong kind of Christians; this situation is also connected to Ken Ham. I don't know the people at this site, so I am not claiming to be sure that all information is verified. Just showing why Holzmann might have had something to say about the manifesto thing.

Edited by Dulcimeramy

Karen Campbell at www.thatmom.com has covered the homeschool manifesto thing, but there are too many links for me to sort out. (I just went to find them and gave up.)

Here is something useful, though: John Holzmann's blog posts about that summit in Indianapolis. Here is part 1.

Here is something to read about John Holzmann and Sonlight having their troubles with homeschooling conventions for being the wrong kind of Christians; this situation is also connected to Ken Ham. I don't know the people at this site, so I am not claiming to be sure that all information is verified. Just showing why Holzmann might have had something to say about the manifesto thing.

Reading what has been going on, what has been being taught...I'm pretty wigged out. I'm also so very glad I stayed far, far away.

Amy, is this it?

Edited by justamouse

This was a wonderful quote by Ester Maria in another thread. She is talking about the way in which Jewish people (over simplifying my terms here) understand their sacred writings.

"It's possible that that's in Philo (I can't recall it to my mind right now, though I studied Philo with the eldest kid last year) - I just wanted to remind that a general "division" of the layers of interpretation includes four levels. It's known by the acronym PaRDeS - it includes p'shat (literal, simple, direct meaning), remez ("a hint", a deeper allegorical meaning extending over the literal meaning), d'rash (something like a comparative / legal meaning) and sod (a mystical level).

Imagine it musically: the text can be read in four different "keys" which at the same time coexist."

If the NT writers had any concept of this 4-layer approach( being jewish), is it any wonder the Bible is messy ;).

Would you mind linking this thread, please? I would like to read it :001_smile:

The problem is that all of us who homeschool DO have a dog in this fight.

First, if the outside world sees this ugliness as the face of homeschooling we all lose credibility, and, quite possibly, public support.

Also, if financial damage can be done to those publishers who do not carry water for the vocal majority it is possible that we may see a less diverse offering of materials in the future.

If you're so worried about this happening then why have you let this thread and this "fight" that you don't want to fight continue? The best way for something to die down quickly? Stop talking about it. You obviously don't want to let it go anymore than you claim Ken Ham doesn't want to let it go. By "you" I don't mean you personally, but everyone participating in this mess, no matter what side they are on.

I think you are right that most people do not know about what is going on. If, however, this small group of Ham's is determined to make a big fuss......

No matter the actual numbers, conservative christian homeschoolers have the vocal majority. I am not scared of this molehill, but am concerned it may develop into an actual mountain if pumped up with enough religiosity, hypocrisy, and outside attention. (i.e. Christianity Today)

Again, so long as people from ALL sides are talking about this, it will continue to develop into something. That's what is so hilarious about this thread. You claim to be outraged over Ken Ham wanting to "pick a bone", but by continuing this thread until it gets to 26 pages.....you're just feeding the frenzy.

I really planned to refrain from commenting on this thread, but the info shared below is just too intriguing to pass on.

Do you think KH has any idea what he's signing on for by allying with The Dougs & VF? I know he is YEC, but is he ready to ascribe to dominion theology and the patriarchal movement?

What strange bedfellows are in the making. I think it's too late to determine the "rules of engagement." VF has made the first aggressive move by placing themselves in a position to influence (coerce?) AIG's currently existing base of followers. A brilliant move on VF's part; how could KH reject aligning with them now, if he wasn't already in their camp?

What a mess. I am so very thankful that here on these boards, though a great diversity of thought is represented, one thing all you wonderful posters have in common is that you are willing to THINK. My heart hurts for those who choose not to do so.

What is sad is that it's not just Ham. There is another speaker who has posted about this past weekend being "the most controversial homeschool convention of the decade..." It's directly on Ham's facebook page.

As some have stated Ham's position is not new. SWBs positon is not new, especially if he's pulling up years old reviews. It's pot stirring on their side. Why not debate the reviews years ago when it was posted? Why NOW? Because Enns was a speaker at the same conference? Because until now he wasn't a "threat"? Because now, why? The timing is suspect to me.

They seem (seem, as in what I view from my perspective) to be gearing up for a war that only they want to fight.

Unfortunately they will probably use the Philly conference issue as a sign from God that they were right and GHC was wrong.

Thankfully I serve a God that is bigger than all this kerfluffle.

Can someone from the VF camp please explain to me what this means? Doug Phillips posted this to Ken Ham's wall....

" Now that the convention has concluded, the time has come for a serous evaluation of what took place. This may be the one of the most important moments in the history of the modern home school movement, as parents and Christian home school leaders determine "the rules of engagement" concerning the future of this movement."

22 hours ago

"Rules of Engagement"?

If you're so worried about this happening then why have you let this thread and this "fight" that you don't want to fight continue? The best way for something to die down quickly? Stop talking about it. You obviously don't want to let it go anymore than you claim Ken Ham doesn't want to let it go. By "you" I don't mean you personally, but everyone participating in this mess, no matter what side they are on.

Again, so long as people from ALL sides are talking about this, it will continue to develop into something. That's what is so hilarious about this thread. You claim to be outraged over Ken Ham wanting to "pick a bone", but by continuing this thread until it gets to 26 pages.....you're just feeding the frenzy.

I don't think so. While it is true that this is a public forum that people could come and look at, for the most part what is being said here is thoughtful discourse on what the issue is and whether it has merit or not. We don't have spiritual influence over scores of followers who are looking for a spiritual leader to tell them what to buy or teach. Susan, has purposefully kept herself from telling us as a "homeschool guru" (as she's been called by Ken Ham) what we should buy or teach with regards to this particular issue.

Sure, it makes more people aware of Ken Ham's name and that of Peter Ens and even Doug Phillips. And I'm sure each of their websites will have some more activity as people go to see for themselves what each one says. But our point is not to keep people from checking these materials out - our point is that people should choose the right curriculum for their needs and their beliefs for themselves.

I don't think so. While it is true that this is a public forum that people could come and look at, for the most part what is being said here is thoughtful discourse on what the issue is and whether it has merit or not. We don't have spiritual influence over scores of followers who are looking for a spiritual leader to tell them what to buy or teach. Susan, has purposefully kept herself from telling us as a "homeschool guru" (as she's been called by Ken Ham) what we should buy or teach with regards to this particular issue.

Sure, it makes more people aware of Ken Ham's name and that of Peter Ens and even Doug Phillips. And I'm sure each of their websites will have some more activity as people go to see for themselves what each one says. But our point is not to keep people from checking these materials out - our point is that people should choose the right curriculum for their needs and their beliefs for themselves.

:iagree: Not talking about something doesn't make it go away. At this point, I seriously doubt that Ken Ham,etc. will stop this campaign that has been started. I for one appreciate that this issue was brought to my attention on this board.

As far as thoughtful discourse, now I'm curious to hear some explanations - not angry rants and insults though - about the differences in the way Enns and Ham interpret the Bible. Not just the different conclusions they've come to, but how those conclusions are supported. But I am not interested in reading anything disparaging about either one of them or Susan Wise Bauer. I just would like to read about it on an intellectual level, if that is going on anywhere. But right now it's too late and time for bed.

I haven't seen that here on these boards. But maybe I missed it because for the most part I have not been reading these threads.

Edited by Miss Sherry

:iagree: Not talking about something doesn't make it go away. At this point, I seriously doubt that Ken Ham,etc. will stop this campaign that has been started. I for one appreciate that this issue was brought to my attention on this board.

Yep. All someone (say an innocent curriculum shopper) has to do is google his name and up will pop hits from the local Cincinnatti/Lexington newspapers, his fb page loaded with this topic, and even the Huffington Post's web site. As another poster mentioned (jokingly) on another thread, Perez Hilton is perhaps next to cover the story.

Kosmo Kramer said it best, really... the cat... is out of the bag.

I truly wish it weren't. But since it is, I feel it is my responsibility to be able to discuss the issue from an informed perspective, should anyone I know bring up the subject IRL.

Me too. Although my main reason for feeling worried about it is worry over what harm might be done to SWB and PHP if this thing really explodes. What if they get enough people to follow their "war cry" and PHP has to go out of business, or slow down their pace for putting out new curriculum?

I use a lot of PHP curriculum in my homeschool, and love it, and I'd hate to see such a wonderful company driven out of the market, or have to cut back significantly.

There will always be people who let others do their thinking for them, and will follow their leaders over whatever cliff they are commanded.

Thankfully, there will always be people who think for themselves, so Susan and the rational, thinking publishers who refuse to rise to the "war cry" will have customers.

The reason Asta said this (that I was glad I am Roman Catholic) is because The Pope has said that Catholics do not have to chose between their faith and evolution.

So, Asta was saying that this is not a fight the Catholics would have to engage in. There is no dichotomy between evolution and belief in Christ/God.

Correct.

The divisions I read about here and other places astound me.

WHY do they want to own the homschooling movement?? :confused: That's what I don't get.

Power.

Only they're not going to say that out loud. Pridefulness and all of that. :glare:

asta

Edited by asta

I don't think for a MINUTE they can put SWB and PHP out of business!! Please! It only *sounds* like there are more of them. :lol: I think most of the people who keep PHP in business don't even know what is going on, they are busy about their business of *life*.

Just my opinion.

Don't let this plant seeds of fear. :grouphug:

The fact that he is deleting any comments that disagree with him is what makes it look like everyone is on his side. It's really dishonest but that's how this guy rolls I guess.

Avoid godless chatter, because those who indulge in it will become more and more ungodly. ~2 Timothy 2:16

Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels. ~2 Timothy 2:23

A perverse person stirs up conflict, and a gossip separates close friends. ~Proverbs 16:28

Without wood a fire goes out; without a gossip a quarrel dies down. ~ Proverbs 26:20

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.~Ephesians 4:29

Ladies,

Let us be godly and take the high road, It takes two to quarrel. At this point, there is nothing left to argue and we are down to idle gossip. We are here to support one another and build each other up and we can do that without tearing someone else down, even those that we may feel are worthy of disrespect. Let us acknowledge that two wrongs don't make a right and move on to higher standards and get back to discussing the beauty of classical inspired education, the love we have for our families and each other, and for those of us who are believers in Christ, the thankfulness that he gives us grace because it's not an easy thing for most of us to give. For those that are not Christian, please forgive us for being a poor reflection of God's grace and mercy.

Thanks Aunt Pol

:grouphug:

Do you think KH has any idea what he's signing on for by allying with The Dougs & VF? I know he is YEC, but is he ready to ascribe to dominion theology and the patriarchal movement?

The same thought came to me as I was reading Ham's facebook page. IMO, the alliance will limit Ham's influence rather than increase it. VF's theology makes for a very exclusive club.

There will always be people who let others do their thinking for them, and will follow their leaders over whatever cliff they are commanded.

Thankfully, there will always be people who think for themselves, so Susan and the rational, thinking publishers who refuse to rise to the "war cry" will have customers.

:001_rolleyes:

Non thinking? Following leaders off a cliff? War cry? Is it really necessary to divide homeschoolers into two factions, and then to portray one of those groups as ignorant and the other as intellectuals?

Not talking about something doesn't make it go away. At this point, I seriously doubt that Ken Ham,etc. will stop this campaign that has been started. I for one appreciate that this issue was brought to my attention on this board.

:iagree: If VF and AiG and other folks are really thinking about turning this into a 'war' over homeschooling, then I need to be prepared to stand up and say that homeschoolers are a diverse group with all kinds of philosophies, and nobody gets to own it.

Non thinking? Following leaders off a cliff? War cry? Is it really necessary to divide homeschoolers into two factions, and then to portray one of those groups as ignorant and the other as intellectuals?

This.

Is it me, or is the atmosphere on this board become increasingly hostile to conservatives/Christians? This convention controversy has led to an awful lot of offensive statements and borderline "bashing". I'm starting to feel more and more uncomfortable and unwelcome here. In fact, I already know of more than a few moms at our classical Christian group who no longer come here not because of the controversy, but because the whole discussion has degraded to the point where they no longer want to be a part of this forum at all.

This.

Is it me, or is the atmosphere on this board become increasingly hostile to conservatives/Christians? This convention controversy has led to an awful lot of offensive statements and borderline "bashing". I'm starting to feel more and more uncomfortable and unwelcome here. In fact, I already know of more than a few moms at our classical Christian group who no longer come here not because of the controversy, but because the whole discussion has degraded to the point where they no longer want to be a part of this forum at all.

:grouphug: if you are feeling unwelcome.

I don't think "the board" is bashing either side, really. If you look at posts over time, liberals and conservatives and Christians and non-Christians all feel pretty equally maligned and underrepresented. So it is probably pretty even, all being told.

I think the controversy is more about how differences are handled and how people respond to alternate viewpoints. Nobody wants to be marginalized and nobody wants to be bullied into submission. My argument with the Ken Ham side is about bullying more than content. I think there is plenty of room HERE and at the conventions for more than one kind of Christian and more than one approach to homeschooling.

ETA: And I think there should be room for all the non-Christians too! Didn't mean to exclude there. I was just thinking of the controversy when I said the above. I personally would love an inclusive homeschool conference that focused on homeschooling.

Edited by Asenik

This.

I'm very conservative and Christian and I haven't felt that at all. I think the atmosphere is becoming hostile toward the variety of Christian who thinks it's ok to go after everyone else with guns blazing. I think the atmosphere is hostile toward one group trying to represent all Christians and doing so in a nasty manner. I feel pretty hostile toward that attitude myself.

I don't think "the board" is bashing either side, really. If you look at posts over time, liberals and conservatives and Christians and non-Christians all feel pretty equally maligned and underrepresented. So it is probably pretty even, all being told.

I think the controversy is more about how differences are handled and how people respond to alternate viewpoints. Nobody wants to be marginalized and nobody wants to be bullied into submission. My argument with the Ken Ham side is about bullying more than content. I think there is plenty of room HERE and at the conventions for more than one kind of Christian and more than one approach to homeschooling.

:iagree:

This.

I don't think so. I'm pretty new to this board, but things seem to be pretty even. That is actually what I really like about this forum. It appears that everyone has an equal voice. It is a nice change of pace.

Well stated.

Not at all. You are reading quite a lot into what I said for some reason. Perhaps this is a touchy issue for you, but for me, it matters not a whit. I have no dog in your fight. I'm simply using the language that the parties in question have already been using. If you read the thread through, you would catch that.

And, there are plenty of people on Ham's side who HAVE thought through the issue. Just as there are plenty on the other side who have. There are still people on both sides who are just following the other lemmings though, and THAT is always a problem.

I'm very conservative and Christian and I haven't felt that at all. I think the atmosphere is becoming hostile toward the variety of Christian who thinks it's ok to go after everyone else with guns blazing. I think the atmosphere is hostile toward one group trying to represent all Christians and doing so in a nasty manner. I feel pretty hostile toward that attitude myself.

I'm very conservative and definitely a Christian. But I'm highly irritated at the actions of Ken Ham, Doug Phillips, and other folks who think they can bully everyone around.

I'm also a Christian who would be considered conservative by some and liberal by others.

I really planned to refrain from commenting on this thread, but the info shared below is just too intriguing to pass on.

What strange bedfellows are in the making. I think it's too late to determine the "rules of engagement." VF has made the first aggressive move by placing themselves in a position to influence (coerce?) AIG's currently existing base of followers. A brilliant move on VF's part; how could KH reject aligning with them now, if he wasn't already in their camp?

What a mess. I am so very thankful that here on these boards, though a great diversity of thought is represented, one thing all you wonderful posters have in common is that you are willing to THINK. My heart hurts for those who choose not to do so.

Egads. If KH starts aligning with VF, he IS going to lose some supporters. He's speaking at my church's convention in June, and we are NOT in alignment with VF's theology at all.

This won't end well, I'm afraid, for anyone.

As for me, I don't get this "manifesto" stuff. I just want to educate my daughter for the next 4 years. I don't want to engage in a war. I want you to educate as you see fit and I'll do the same. That's all.

I agree... sort of. I do feel like there are some people skirting around the fact that they agree not only with what Ken Ham said, but how he said it. If I was one of those people, I would feel unwelcome here too.

I don't interact much on here, but I feel like I've found my people!

As for me, I don't get this "manifesto" stuff. I just want to educate my daughter for the next 4 years. I don't want to engage in a war. I want you to educate as you see fit and I'll do the same. That's all.

:iagree: Can't we just homeschool without all the drama? I have 7 years left. I didn't need Ham's opinion to start and I don't need it to continue.

After Ham's FB post today, it is now quite apparent why he is throwing Susan under the bus. They are offering discounts on this.

"Ever since I uploaded my blog post recently about Susan Wise Bauer’s endorsement of Peter Enns’ positions in favor of evolution and against a real Adam my Facebook page has had a stream of requests for my recommendation of a trustworthy, biblically accurate world history curriculum.

Our staff actually started seeking out the best possible author several years ago, and after a pretty intense evaluation of the various author’s existing materials, we entered a special publishing relationship with Diana Waring ."

Edited by slr1765

After Ham's FB post today, it is now quite apparent why he is throwing Susan under the bus.

"Ever since I uploaded my blog post recently about Susan Wise Bauer’s endorsement of Peter Enns’ positions in favor of evolution and against a real Adam my Facebook page has had a stream of requests for my recommendation of a trustworthy, biblically accurate world history curriculum.

Our staff actually started seeking out the best possible author several years ago, and after a pretty intense evaluation of the various author’s existing materials, we entered a special publishing relationship with Diana Waring ."

This would lend credence to the speculations of some in this thread (and other threads) that his actions are part of a larger marketing strategy for his company's curriculum over Olive Branch's. It's not a particularly good strategy, though. Divisive marketing strategies are rarely successful, usually cost far more than expected in terms of both finance and reputation, and are generally short-sighted as well as short-lived.

Edited by Audrey

This post is a complete and total distortion of my review. Read the whole review here: http://www.susanwisebauer.com/blog/inspiration-and-incarnation-review/

In no way did I "endorse" any theory of evolution or any theory about Adam.

I praised the book for asking difficult questions and suggested that we should all do the same.

I have tried to contact AiG directly, since Mr. Ham has made such a point of talking about Biblical confrontation. I have so far been unable to even leave a message.

I am posting this publicly because this was a public attack.

To follow it with an endorsement for his own history curriculum: I don't even know what to say. I feel sick.

SWB

Well, as far as I can see, the "relationship" between Ham and VF amounts to one post on Ham's Facebook page. Hopefully that will be the extent of it.

I run from anything resembling patriarchy. I have five daughters and one mean feminist streak:D.

Lisa

This post is a complete and total distortion of my review. Read the whole review here: http://www.susanwisebauer.com/blog/inspiration-and-incarnation-review/

I praised the book for asking difficult questions and suggested that we should all do the same.

I have tried to contact AiG directly, since Mr. Ham has made such a point of talking about Biblical confrontation. I have so far been unable to even leave a message.

To follow it with an endorsement for his own history curriculum: I don't even know what to say. I feel sick.

SWB

I'm sorry, Susan:grouphug:

This does appear to be a blatant distortion.

Aside from distorting your views, I'm pretty appalled at the notion that your history program (or language arts, for that matter) are now deemed untouchable because of a difference in theology.

Sigh,

Lisa

SWB

I am so, so sorry you are having to go through this. You and your family are in my prayers.

SWB

:grouphug: I am so sorry. What he is doing is unconscionable.

SWB

i had the same reaction upon reading Ham's "review" of your book review. I read your actual review and found Ham's "slice and dice" treatment of your review rather suspect. But even MORE suspect, the advertisement for selling his curriculum in the same post.

~liz

SWB

:grouphug:

Well, as far as I can see, the "relationship" between Ham and VF amounts to one post on Ham's Facebook page. Hopefully that will be the extent of it.

I run from anything resembling patriarchy. I have five daughters and one mean feminist streak:D.

Lisa

No, there's more to it than that:

http://www.visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2008/07/4089/ this is from July of '08.