Menu

Philly Conference

OK I HAVE PERMISSION TO SCREAM that SWB AND MCT will be at the Royal Fireworks Press convention to be held at the Radisson in metropolitan area of Philadelphia for June 23-25!

SWB - YOU'RE THE WOMAN!!!!!!!!! WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

And a BIG thank you to DR. Kemnitz for coming through for us!

Details? Registration? Anybody w/ a bag big enough for me? Wait. Let me rephrase that...somehow...:glare:

I wanted to go to Cincy. I REALLY wanted to go to Philly.

This? :svengo: I'm :willy_nilly: trying to figure out how I can go. :crying: If this turns out to be as intimate & memorable as I imagine (& my imagination runs away, so maybe it won't)...:crying:

I know. I'll get a PT job at the Radisson. And another w/ American Airlines. And...be too busy to come, lol. :001_huh: :nopity:

:gnorsi: Excellent job, though. Really--whether I get to go or not--I'm SO glad & proud you guys put this together!

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:auto:

So obviously I'm mostly a lurker on these WTM forums, but I would definitely come to a mini-conference. This was our first year HSing for our oldest who's wrapping up kindergarten so everything is still kind of overwhelming.

I actually live only 15 minutes or so from the VF Convention Center so was THRILLED to see this conference come to Valley Forge - SO CLOSE! I need to get my hands on the stuff. And then today I got the email that it was cancelled. I'm so ridiculously irritated, but saw on facebook the link to this thread and see this mini-conference with SWB and others is a go!

SO - I am probably as local as they get. I saw on RFP's fb page that they are having trouble finding a venue. I am not sure where all they checked but last year & years past there has been a HS convention in June at Calvary Church in Souderton, PA. The SEARCH of PA convention. They had to cancel this year, presumably b/c all the vendors were going to be at the GHC convention nearby.

I posted that on RFP's page but wanted to post it here, too. Do you know if they contacted them about this? They may be willing/glad to host something again this year?

This is their page: http://searchofpa.org/Search_of_PA/Home_Page.html and it has their contact info.

Oh, also - and this is pure speculation which I typically hate, but if the 2012 convention is "20 minutes up the road" they probably mean the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, PA which is literally in my backyard. I checked their calendar of events and they have something for 6/25, but nothing the days preceding it. It's a huge/new place so I don't understand why they couldn't book there this year to relocate...but there must be other stuff going on that takes up the space but isn't publicized?!

Whatever! But being local - is there anything I can do to help this get up and going? I already posed a plea on my fb page for people who may know where conference space could be found on short notice.

I just got off the phone w/ Dr. Kemnitz at RFWP. He was asking for another head count which I will do in a moment.

He is looking at another venue in the area and is waiting for confirmation from them before saying anything. So Dr. K is busy working on this as well as on getting other speakers in addition to MCT and SWB.

Details will be posted here, at the Royal Fireworks Press facebook page, as well as at the MCT forum.

MCT Forum

http://rfwpsupport.com/forumdisplay.php?2-MCTLA-for-Homeschoolers

Royal Fireworks Press Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Royal-Fireworks-Press/103590278683

I just got off the phone w/ Dr. Kemnitz at RFWP. He was asking for another head count which I will do in a moment.

He is looking at another venue in the area and is waiting for confirmation from them before saying anything. So Dr. K is busy working on this as well as on getting other speakers in addition to MCT and SWB.

Details will be posted here, at the Royal Fireworks Press facebook page, as well as at the MCT forum.

MCT Forum

http://rfwpsupport.com/forumdisplay.php?2-MCTLA-for-Homeschoolers

Royal Fireworks Press Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Royal-Fireworks-Press/103590278683

Thanks! I haven't read the entire thread. How are you taking a head count? Can you count me in? Pretty please?

Shannon

I had asked everyone who would attend, to post w/ the auto smiley. I'm counting auto smilies. I've got 44 folks so far. I'm going to post another heads up.

It might be easier (on you) if you started a new thread & made it a poll: Coming to Philly? Yes or Maybe. No counting autos. ;)

It might be easier (on you) if you started a new thread & made it a poll: Coming to Philly? Yes or Maybe. No counting autos. ;)

I'd be happy to set that thread up for you, for a nominal fee. (What's airfare from TX to PA?) :lol:

Really, I would, but I'm afraid things might get more confused. That tends to happen when *I* try to be helpful. :tongue_smilie:

ALso it looks like Royal Fireworks Press doesn't have in mind quite the same thing that we discussed.

They're looking at renting meeting space in a local college, and probably switching hotels. They're trying hard, I'm happy about that, but it's not looking like they are arranging exactly what we had in mind .

I'm still going though.

ALso it looks like Royal Fireworks Press doesn't have in mind quite the same thing that we discussed.

They're looking at renting meeting space in a local college, and probably switching hotels. They're trying hard, I'm happy about that, but it's not looking like they are arranging exactly what we had in mind .

I'm still going though.

Well, we know why the Northeast Convention was canceled considering that Dr. K can't find a venue to host a few speakers and about 100 people. He's called EVERYWHERE. This college sounds like our last hope. Also, while Dr. K was able to secure more speakers, there is no venue available to host several speakers. So currently it looks to be a day w/ SWB and a day w/ MCT and two other speakers. Also the dorm rooms would make it VERY affordable so it might open it up to others coming who couldn't afford a hotel stay.

Well, my Dh always says that I like to do things the hard way. :001_huh: Thanks for pointing out the obvious...sometimes I really do need it. :lol:

I have set up the poll. My first poll ever lol. :lol:

Capt Uhura

So currently it looks to be a day w/ SWB and a day w/ MCT and two other speakers. Also the dorm rooms would make it VERY affordable so it might open it up to others coming who couldn't afford a hotel stay.

Inexpensive accommodation increases the possibility that I could come!

Well, we know why the Northeast Convention was canceled considering that Dr. K can't find a venue to host a few speakers and about 100 people. He's called EVERYWHERE. This college sounds like our last hope. Also, while Dr. K was able to secure more speakers, there is no venue available to host several speakers. So currently it looks to be a day w/ SWB and a day w/ MCT and two other speakers. Also the dorm rooms would make it VERY affordable so it might open it up to others coming who couldn't afford a hotel stay.

Darn it. I was thinking they could maybe just get a couple conference rooms in the hotel. I mean, the convention hall is out, but wasn't the convention going to use some of the hotel's conference rooms as well (which would now be open)? Or maybe all their speakers were going to use rooms in the convention center itself...

• 1 month later...