Menu

Questions re: WTM Reading List for Grade 6

Hoggirl

Okay, I have a couple of dumb questions about this list. I am getting this from the revised WTM, pp. 349-350.

#2 = Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

#7 = Version of Morte d'Arthur. I would choose T.H. White, The Sword in the Stone.

Please forgive my ignorance, but are these just two of King Arthur's Tales? If I had ds read the Roger Lancelyn Green version, would this be redundant to have ds do these two as well????

And, what, exactly, do you have your children "do" with the books on this list that they read?

Thanks much.

Funny, I just read the 6th grade portions of WTM about an hour ago! Do you have the book? Look carefully and it tells you how to use these books. And yes, Green would be redundant.

Sir G is great in the Tolkien version (if you like Tolkien).

TH White--You could read the whole book, but just reading Sword is plenty for this age.

I like all these, but I guess it depends on how much you want to delve into the various versions of Arthurian legend. Tolkien's book also includes the Pearl, I believe, which is another great legend. There is a mature theme in the Green Knight (and much of Arthurian legend). It pretty much went completely over my older son's head in sixth grade, but there may be some questions from some children about it. I love Lancelyn Green's workings of these legends. There's also a beautiful picture book by Talbot which gives a different ending to the sad tale of Lancelot.

We read, discussed, and ds wrote papers about some of the themes and/or book reports on some of the books. In some cases he compared and contrasted different legends, etc. WTM provides you with a series of questions that you might use as a jumping off point for conversation, writing, etc.

the wife of the Lord of the Castle (the Green Knight) tries three times to seduce Sir Gawain. Think of the sl*ttiest pop-music song you can think of - she was *quite* forward would be an understatement. We read the first part of Tolkien out loud and enjoyed it until we got to the "touch my body" parts. Just too much for a boy whose hormones were ***raging*** at the time.

There is also a lot of symbolism that is hard to grasp even after reading about them online, just because we don't associate the symbols with the particular ideas they represent in the poem.

We did find a more middle-school appropriate book at the local library - by Michael Morpurgo. I'll try to link here:

http://www.amazon.com/Gawain-Green-Knight-Michael-Morpurgo/dp/0763625191/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210247536&sr=8-1

We also really enjoyed the Sonlight selections for Medieval/Rennaisance in addition to the WTM selections.

hth,

Rhonda

Yes, and you know about how Arthur was conceived? And about the love triangle of Arthur/Guinevere and Lancelot? The entire storyline is pretty mature, so finding versions that sort of gloss over all that, but still try to keep intact some point to the stories is sorta interesting..... That's one reason I've always loved Hudson Talbott's picture book story of Lancelot. It downplays the attraction between himself and Guinevere and ends with the Lady Elaine, caretaker of the Grail, saving him, marrying him, and bringing into the world with him Galahad, bringer of peace.....

Maybe we will hold off on Sir Gawain. My ds is really enjoying Tolkien (reading Lord of the Rings), so I really hoped this would be a good choice. Poo! I had not planned on reading it aloud. Guess we will just stick with the Green version.