Menu

What level writing would this be considered?

joannqn

This is a writing assignment from IEW's US History-Based Writing Volume 1. It meets all of the requirements of the grading rubric to get full credit. I'm wondering how it compares to other writing, grade-level wise.

A Message Received

On a frosty December evening in 1773, the streets of Boston were crowded with people. 13-year-old Amy stood staring out her window at the cluster of muttering, obstinate colonists, who were acting like obnoxious children. The colonists were ready to confront the King. Anxiously Amy waited. Her mother had told her that something exciting and disturbing was inevitably going to happen tonight. Amy’s mother, who didn’t know what exactly what would happen, told Amy that the three British ships full of sweetly smelling tea out in the water had something to do with it.

While Amy stood at the window, thinking deeply about all she knew, the bustling of the colonists continued on. Colonists were angrily refusing to buy the tea because England has taxed it. Indignantly, they told England to take the tea back. The royal governor, who provoked the colonists by booming that the King’s strict orders be obeyed, ordered that on December 16th, the tea must be unloaded. That was tonight.

Amy, who watched warily, snapped out of her thoughts as the mob began to stir. Almost 100 “Indians” cut through the crowd. But as they passed, Amy noticed they weren’t Indians at all! Actually, they were the Sons of Liberty dressed up, and they were carrying axes! They boarded the rocking ships. Aboard the ships, they started chopping away at the crates of tea. Tea chests were tossed carelessly overboard. Amy stared in horror as the transfixed crowd started chanting audaciously. “Rally Indians, bring your axes, and tell King George we’ll pay no taxes!” Amy knew King George would get this message.

I taught freshman English at the college level for a large state school and that would have been on par for my students. At the magnet public school I attended, it would have been more 8th-9th grade level.

So depending on the rigor of the program, I would say it is somewhere between early high school to early college.