Menu

Calling all tapestry of grace users

motherof5

Wondering if anyone has some insight ..

Next year I am thinking about using TOG with a 6th grader and 4th grader and a first grader.

I was thinking about just using story of the world as a spine for the 1st grader and not buying all the history texts just the literature . I would like to follow the schedule that TOG has for story of the world. Do you think this is a good idea?

Thanks in advance :)

I think that is fine. TOG doesn't have any history questions for the younger students, there are people they should know and "threads" of history that they should be covering in a particular week so you are not going to have them stumped for information because they don't have a particular book. In Year 1 the Bible is used when studying Israel, I recommend getting a children's Bible if you don't already have one when you use that year plan.

Thank you both . That helps , I want to keep it simple yet think the literature would be fun to include.

Karenciavo, I saw that in one of your posts that one of your sons got burnt out with TOG , I so fear that will happen to us. I know that it is pretty intense. Have you found a way to make it more doable? Or maybe another program that is similar yet not so intense? What are you all using now.

Sorry for the many questions, sometimes planning for the next year stresses me out a bit.

Karenciavo, I saw that in one of your posts that one of your sons got burnt out with TOG , I so fear that will happen to us. I know that it is pretty intense. Have you found a way to make it more doable?

I'm sorry, I don't remember posting that one of my sons was burnt out. It's possible I did say that, my middle son is not a reader, I just don't remember. In any case, we're still using TOG with him.

Thanks for your response, I have been looking over tapestry for about three years but haven't took the dive. I have been reading different threads on it for a long time . It may have been some one else. sorry

Glad to hear you are still using it.

I think that is fine. I just want to add, though, that SOTW is not scheduled for every week (at least not in year 1). If you do year 1, you may want to make sure that you have a children's Bible, since much of the history comes from there.

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to jump in. This is exactly how I use TOG for my younger children. Some weeks I have extra books for my UG dd to read, or I use a history encyclopedia (Usborne World History) to fill weeks that don't have SOTW scheduled.

Since I have children in every level, SOTW helps make doing history much easier.

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to jump in. This is exactly how I use TOG for my younger children. Some weeks I have extra books for my UG dd to read, or I use a history encyclopedia (Usborne World History) to fill weeks that don't have SOTW scheduled

I was going to make this same suggestion for your 6th grade/UG student. We combined both the Usborne and SOTW for YR-1 in 6th grade, and my dd did very well.

Many moms really enjoy the ease and format of TOG for multi-aged children once they gain some experience. I hope you find it fits the same for you and your dear family.

Blessings,

Lucinda