Menu

I have a chance to homeschool someone else's child WWYD?

I registered a couple of years ago on CottageSchool.net, and got a hit yesterday--someone was interested in exploring the possibility of me homeschooling their child. Now I'm kinda excited!

I know some of you do this--Joanne? Anyone else? How do you go about it? What are the pitfalls, the joys? I would not have my own child with me--she is going to public school next year no matter what. What can I charge? :D

Ok, that's tacky--but I really have no idea.

Any help would be appreciated, and all opinions/thoughts/suggestions totally welcome.

As far as what to charge, you need to think about how many hours this would be for you. Would it be a full time job? Then think about what you need to make a year or what you could get elsewhere. If you had many other kids, or you were homeschooling your own anyway, you could get away with less per child.

I wouldn't do it unless I was opening up a very small school (say 10 students) and could hire an assistant. Don't short sell what your time is worth just because its seems like fun... it will be a real job and you should be compensated well!

I know some of you do this--Joanne? Anyone else? How do you go about it? What are the pitfalls, the joys? I would not have my own child with me--she is going to public school next year no matter what. What can I charge?

Yes. I have a total of 4 additional students now (one sibling group of 2). My students range from 4.5 to 13.5.

I do it because I have to. Having said that, I do everything I can to make it work joyfully.

Screen your additional students and parents well.

Include a supply fee. Have the parents pay for any individual curriculum. I have mine split costs per student for things we do as a group (history, science, latin, etc)

I'd rather not state my fees publically. I also have custom arrangements; one of my families is as economically challenged as I am but are blessings in other ways.

Make sure it's legal in your state. Know that HSLDA won't cover issues relating to you homeschooling others.

Trust your gut and pray.

I just re-read. I would not do it if I didn't have my own children homeschooling. It would not be a match for my personality; I would rather in that circumstance go out and work elsewhere.