Menu

I want to pick a spelling program once and for all...please help!

kristinannie

Here are the main three I am considering....Apples and Pears, AAS or SWO. I am planning on using this for 1st grade onward. I would like it to cover spelling and also a little bit of phonics rules. This is one of those things that has just been hanging over my head. Please help me decide once and for all!!!! Thanks in advance!!!

:bigear::bigear::bigear:

I tried to post earlier, but the server was busy. :glare:

If your child is a natural speller, I recommend SWO. If he's not and needs hands on stuff and you don't mind longish lessons or breaking them in half, go with AAS. If, like me, your child is not a natural speller and lots of pieces give you hives, choose A&P.

I love AAS, but... Your oldest is 4.5? You can't tell what kind of speller he'll be. Why not wait until you're actually close to first grade to choose? I say this as someone who chose, then changed my mind a billion times, then tried 2 programs that weren't right for us, then finally found what was right (AAS), though I still can't say I'll use it forever more or with every kid. I may not need it with the others.

I mean, you're not actually buying a program for first grade now, are you? I would wait until sometime during K to decide on a spelling program for first grade.

I use AAS, but my son doesn't like to do the magnet thing. Go figure. We just do it without the magnets. However, if you want a phonics program that includes spelling - Saxon phonics. Their K program consist of 15 minute lessons. Their 1st grade is longer. I have both Saxon and AAS. I use AAS more, but sometimes I pull it out for certain sounds/spelling rules, and I sometimes get more information from Saxon than I do AAS.

I tried Saxon 1 for K phonics (after use K for 4.5-5.5), and it was a little boring, I will admit. But there are a few fun rules in there. Spelling overall isn't a really exciting subject. Just throwing something else out there.

I lived by a university at the time I used Saxon. I was able to check it out of the library the whole year and use it for free...including the worksheets (I handwrote some of the worksheets and used overhead sheets over the worksheet for others.

I don't think most or any of the homeschool community knew about the college library resources. So if you have a college, check out what they have and see if what they have may work for you. Use it for free or buy it if you like it. :)

I love AAS, but... Your oldest is 4.5? You can't tell what kind of speller he'll be. Why not wait until you're actually close to first grade to choose? I say this as someone who chose, then changed my mind a billion times, then tried 2 programs that weren't right for us, then finally found what was right (AAS), though I still can't say I'll use it forever more or with every kid. I may not need it with the others.

I mean, you're not actually buying a program for first grade now, are you? I would wait until sometime during K to decide on a spelling program for first grade.

I'm not buying it now, I just have been thinking about this forever and want to have a plan...I am a little crazy that way!!!

The people who say AAS, can you tell me a little more about it? I am kind of worried about keeping it all straight. Also, is it hard for the kids to learn the spelling rules when they do every rule for each letter before moving on?

AAS, hands down. Just to clarify, you won't teach all the rules for each letter before moving on, but all the sounds for each letter. There will only be a handful to teach in lvl one, since most of the letters only have one sound. You will have to teach a few, like s (/s/ /z/), c (/k/ /s/), and the vowels. Just let him move at his own pace and take his time. There is no rush to stay on a certain schedule. Even if you, for whatever reason, didn't use the tiles, it would still be an excellent, and thorough program.

I'm not buying it now, I just have been thinking about this forever and want to have a plan...I am a little crazy that way!!!

I understand! Believe me... I have algebra picked out, and my son is still doing 2nd grade math. :lol:

The main issue with picking a spelling program now is that it's so hard to tell what kind of learner or what kind of speller your child will be. I have a 4 year old. I have NO CLUE what he'll be like in the spelling department. He can read CVC words now and does pretty well with phonemic awareness, and since we're using Webster's for reading and are hitting phonics hard so early on, he might end up a natural speller. If that's the case, I might not use AAS with him. I'll make that decision when he's closer to first grade. I just cannot at all tell what he'll be like, because I know kids change SO much between 4 and 6! For example, my oldest loved workbooks at age 4, though he didn't do well with formal school (resisted big time if I tried to teach him anything). At 6, he actually gets kind of bored with workbooks (though he still likes them, but only as a one or two subjects sort of deal - not a whole workbook-based curriculum) and he is VERY compliant when it comes to school. So he's like a completely different child! PreK'ers are so vastly different from first graders, that you just can't tell what they'll be like in 2 years.

The people who say AAS, can you tell me a little more about it? I am kind of worried about keeping it all straight. Also, is it hard for the kids to learn the spelling rules when they do every rule for each letter before moving on?

AAS doesn't teach all the rules up front. I think you're thinking of the Spalding/Spalding-based programs? AAS teaches the basic phonograms first (A-Z), then does some basic rules, gradually adding rules as you go, reviewing often, etc.