Menu

Is this still okay?? (constipated baby)

How's that for a title? My grandson is 8 weeks and hasn't had a bm for a couple days and is exclusively bf. My daughter sometimes pumps to store her milk in the freezer. I told her to take 2-3 ounces of her milk and warm it up with a teaspoon of molasses. I did this with my babies... but... don't know if in 10-20 years things have changed... and dear daughter wants me to ask here because she respects the advice... lol

Thanks!

If he is exclusively breastfed and has no other symptoms, it is likely he is not constipated. Breastfed babies can sometimes go several days without a bm, no harm done. If he doesn't seem uncomfortable, I'd tell her just to wait it out.

If she really feels the need to encourage him to go, tell her to put him in a warm bathtub up to his armpits, but be prepared for the consequences ;)

Completely normal, and if the baby is happy and eating normally, he/she likely isn't constipated. My breastfed babies all went 10-21 days without a bm at around that age. My current 5mo only has a bm about every 10 days. He's saving us a lot of money on diapers and wipes. :001_smile:

The docs generally want to see them if they haven't had a bm at 14 days, but they don't do anything to speed the process along. I think they just want to verify that the baby is happy and eating normally and not truly appearing constipated.

If he is exclusively breastfed and has no other symptoms, it is likely he is not constipated. Breastfed babies can sometimes go several days without a bm, no harm done. If he doesn't seem uncomfortable, I'd tell her just to wait it out.

Yep. I wouldn't give an ebf baby molasses...

Is the baby uncomfortable/fussy?

I ask because for BF babies, it is not considered abnormal to go up to week w/o a BM. My son went from having 7-8 BMs a day to 1 every few days, to one every week or 10 days when he was timy.

If the baby is clearly uncomfortable, I would try a heated rice bag, and working his legs in a sort of bicycle pattern to see if it helps. Or try a warm bath. If not and he is really in pain, I would use a glycerin suppository. You can find them at most any pharmacy.

I would avoid the molasses, b/c like honey, it can contain botulism spores, and is not recommended for children under 12 months. Although it is unlikely he would have a reaction, I tend to err on the side of caution with babes.

Hope this helps!

If she really feels the need to encourage him to go, tell her to put him in a warm bathtub up to his armpits, but be prepared for the consequences ;)

:iagree:

I used to babysit for an exclusively breastfed little boy who had a bowel movements only once a week. Very healthy and very happy. When he finally did go though -- watch out!

He's a little on the young side to be skipping a day, even for being exclusively breastfed, but it's not necessarily a problem, especially if he happens to be on the bigger side. He's not necessarily constipated; breastmilk is just very efficient and doesn't always leave much left over. My biggest concern would be that he wasn't nursing frequently enough and/or having trouble with effective milk transfer. My third was a great nurser but had a bit of a bubble palate (where the roof of the mouth is very high, so the nipple goes up, instead of toward the back of the mouth, thus making milk transfer harder); I needed to help him stay anchored a bit more for a few months, until he grew into it. I would have your DD see a board-certified lactation consultant (maybe the pediatrician, but they're not always great at identifying more unusual BF'ing issues) -- look at ilca.org if you need one.

Just wanted to agree with what all these other mama's are saying. I have exclulsively bf all 6 of mine (baby is 10months now)

They all did this. They would save it up for a couple of days and then fill a diaper FULL!!! They never fussed about it and the poo was still soft so they aren't really constipated.

No worries! :001_smile:

Haven't read the other replies, but it is very normal for a breastfed baby to not have a bm every day. I exclusively breastfed all of mine, and they developed their own patterns. I had one baby who would not go for the better part of a week and then have a huge blow out. That was his norm. It was not constipation. No treatment is needed.