Menu

Combining RSO with BFSU?

Has anyone done this? I wonder if it would work to have all of the RSO manuals from the get-go, use BFSU as the guide to the order and presentation of the lessons, then select the appropriate RSO lessons to fill in info-wise.

The reason is, I like the integrated approach of BFSU as well as the idea behind focusing on the big ideas and developing scientific understanding. And then I like the fact that RSO is already set up and open-and-go. I just wonder if anyone has already tried this before. I am, however balking at the start up cost of getting all three RSO levels at once!

This is what I'm going to be doing. There have been a couple of previous threads about this but I'm not sure what you would search for to find them.

I like the idea of mixing the disciplines the way BFSU does but I feel like I need more open-and-go, laid out experiments and activities than BFSU provides.

The cost of buying all three RSO units at once is a little daunting but I figure that's going to give me 3-4 years of Science. I already have BFSU and the Try Before You Buys for RSO. I may try to buy them one at a time as I need them since the TBYB has lots of information about the order of units, what supplies are needed and what extra books are recommended. I figure I can do a lot of planning without having the full units. I do already have my order mostly planned out.

I've been planning on doing this as well. I also have BFSU and the TBYB RSO - and the final pricetag is also making me a little queasy...

I still feel strongly enough that this is a good plan that I'm going to stick to it :)

I do already have my order mostly planned out.

Would you be willing to share this?

Would you be willing to share this?

Unfortunately for right now it's hand-written. :tongue_smilie: I was switching back and forth between so many pdf's and books that I found it easier to keep it on paper to be able to glance at all parts of it easily. I will be typing it and probably putting it on my blog shortly. When I do I will post a link here.

Unfortunately for right now it's hand-written. :tongue_smilie: I was switching back and forth between so many pdf's and books that I found it easier to keep it on paper to be able to glance at all parts of it easily. I will be typing it and probably putting it on my blog shortly. When I do I will post a link here.

Thank you! :)

I'd love to see it too!

The only thing I'm wondering about, is that RSO seems to be written in a definite order, with Life being easiest and Chemistry being more for 3rd graders. I guess I'm not too worried about that, but some families mentioned that the later programs might be over a first grader's head...

We plan on combining BFSU with RSO, but not all at once. I'm using BFSU & RSO: Life over 2 years, then BFSU & RSO: Earth & Space. Here's a very general outline for our k-2 plan, with most of the detail for the coming year. Because RSO chemistry is more advanced, and because I don't want to get too ahead of myself, I'll probably lace that in with BFSU 2.

Kindergarten: combining BFSU, thematic nature study & RSO Life

-One Small Square: Backyard (RSO lesson)

-introduction to insects and their roles in nature

-Bees, Ant Cities book & keeping an ant farm

-characteristics of mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians with a focus on native species (may use RSO lessons)

-seasonal changes in plants, animals & ecosystems (migration, hibernation, production & scattering of seeds, changing/falling leaves, spring)

-decompostion as a cycle, nature breaking down into smaller parts to continue the cycle of life, RSO lab on worm composting

BFSU lessons woven into the framework above

-BFSU (A thread) particulate nature of matter

-BFSU (A thread) catorgorizing (living/nonliving, plants/animals, dirt/rock/soil)

-BFSU (A thread) solids, liquids, gasses

-BFSU (C thread) most earth science concepts (maps, directionals, etc) covered separately in our geography program

-BFSU (B Thread) & RSO lessons life cycles: seed production, caterpillar & frog metamorphosis (study when seasonally appropriate). Keeping live caterpillars & tadpoles for observation.

First Grade: Combining BFSU & RSO Life

-Animal Kingdoms in depth, using RSO labs

-Basic human anatomy study using BFSU (B thread) and RSO labs

-More in depth study of plant anatomy using RSO labs

-BFSU (B thread) complete remaining lessons: how energy is used by muscles and whole organisms, the food chain, how energy flows up the food chain, etc.

-BFSU D thread major biomes of the Earth

-Matter & energy: Finish most of BFSU C thread lessons on physical science

Second Grade: Combining BFSU & RSO Earth & Space

-Finish A thread (nature of matter) lessons on the nature of matter: air pressure, gasses, magnets, etc.

-Finish D thread (earth science) lessons

-Use RSO: Space labs within the BFSU framework above

HTH!

Edited by Classical Book Worm

• 4 weeks later...
:lurk5:

We have been slowly doing BFSU this year. I am planning to do RSO life some this summer. Finish BFSU next year and maybe more RSO depending on how we like it. I really like the plan in BFSU and love the explanations, but I think RSO will add some fun and interesting activities.

I've been toying with the idea of sitting down and trying to coordinate a way to integrate RSO into our BFSU lessons. I do really like how pick up and go RSO is and like using it on those weeks when I am too bogged down in other things to get to compiling our BFSU lesson.

If only I had more time. Sigh. I feel like I am saying that a lot. I could probably get more done if I didn't jump on this forum every time I had a spare minute. :tongue_smilie: