Menu

I am wondering if I am alone in this.....

Most of my friends cannot believe that I do not regularly and never have had any of these things done:

Manicure/Pedicure

Had my hair colored

Got a massage

Been to a Spa

These things have never interested me. I guess that I am just a cheapskate (I have been saying that all of my life and I had to look that one up =) ).

Please tell me that I am not alone in this.

Me!

I have had one manicure, ever, that someone gave me as a gift--I wasn't impressed, and the place stank. I never, ever want to have a stranger doing things to my feet, TYVM! :lol:

I have colored my own hair a couple times, but never had it done professionally.

I have never been to a spa, and I have never had a massage.:D

In short, you are not alone.:grouphug:

I did want to add that a good massage is no waste of money. :) I think everyone should have at least one good massage in their life- especially busy moms. I've suffered from terrible muscle pain in my back and shoulders that massage has helped tremendously with. Can't say enough good things.

I'd love to try a hot stone massage but that would be purely a splurge and again, not something I could bring myself to spend money on.

When I was younger, I swore I was going to age naturally and not color my hair. That was easy to say when my hair wasn't gray. Now I color it but haven't done any of the others. Although I do have an appointment at "Cosmetic Solutions" next week for a consultation.

Getting old has made me rethink the whole "aging gracefully" thing. :glare:

I haven't done those things. But I do other things. For example, I like to go out to eat once a week. And I like to get new clothes every season. Not a crazy amount, but a few new pieces. (On sale.)

Each person has "their" thing that they spend money on. Maybe it's books, maybe it's cable or movies, maybe it's food, maybe it's stuff to pretty them up (manicures, etc.) Nothing wrong with any of it! We just all have different tastes.

Manicure/Pedicure

Had my hair colored

Got a massage

Been to a Spa

I've never had a manicure/pedicure or a massage and have never been to a spa.

I do color my hair at home, because I saw a picture once in which there was light glinting of the silver on my head. And I once went to a salon for coloring when I made a mess at home and couldn't correct it with any over-the-counter products.

That's it, though.

Most of my friends cannot believe that I do not regularly and never have had any of these things done:

Manicure/Pedicure Tried it. I do a better job on my nails, so why pay more?

Had my hair colored Well, my sister did it for me when I was younger, and occasionally, I may do it myself or have someone else do it, but it's not a regular thing for me.

Got a massage I do this, but it's for specific reasons (leg length differential/scoliosis and a 30-40 mpw runner...)

Been to a Spa Yes, I've been, and I go crazy. While going through the things that are supposed to relax me, I think of how my time could be better spent. :tongue_smilie:

These things have never interested me. I guess that I am just a cheapskate (I have been saying that all of my life and I had to look that one up =) ).

You are not alone. Nothing wrong for people to like doing them. But nothing wrong with people not to like doing them.

I can't remember the last time I had a manicure... my sister's wedding in 2002 comes to mind.

I've had 3 pedicures in my lifetime (I'm 37). I think this is the same number of massages I've had as well. My first facial was last year, and that was only because I was given a gift certificate.

I do color my hair since it's greying, and with dark hair, I'm not ready to grow old gracefully as I originally thought I would be. A good friend who is a hair stylist keeps my price low - thankfully!

All of these things are expensive, so I avoid them as we'd rather spend our money elsewhere.

Manicure/Pedicure

Had my hair colored

Got a massage

Been to a Spa

I've colored my hair, at home, exactly three times. It is not a regular thing, and I always use the kind that can wash out in x number of washes (roughly 3 months or something?? 1 month??? I don't know; last time I did it the directions were in Portuguese and the color not as dramatic a change as I thought).

I've never done the others, at all.

I do my own haircoloring--very easy. I can understand paying for it if you need a triple-process or something, but just for a single hair color, like root touch-up? It is so easy to do at home!

The massage, mani/pedi and spa treatments I have had done when given as a gift. But in my case the mani/pedi is a total waste because I garden and do yard work and my hands and feet take a lot of abuse; within a day or so the mani/pedi looks like it never happened. Burning dollar bills, in my mind.

The massage is great and I always ask for one as a Christmas gift and a birthday gift. We have intro specials where I live and I can get an hour for $39. Not an expensive gift for hubby to buy me. But he usually ends up giving me electronics gadgets like USB cables or wi-fi boosters or something practical :(

The spa treatment....haven't experienced it yet.

I allocate all my $$ savings from the above ^^ and put it toward travel. Ditto for money saved using coupons and eBay sales of used clothing, etc. I usually manage to "piggybank" between 2K and 3K a year. I am a real budget traveler and my annual savings can pay for a month-long summer trip to somehwere in Latin America, if I plan it right. We also have done home exchanges in Europe for $2K or so--the last one was 5 weeks in Lake Como, Italy.

So yes, my fund allocation priorities are "different" than most.

Edited by distancia

Nope. Never did them, have no plans to do them. Why would I waste money on junk like that when I can buy books?

I prefer to buy books too.

I've never had a manicure or pedicure.

I used to color my own hair on a regular basis. I'm attempting to allow the natural gray to take over. I'm not quite sure how I feel about it yet.

I've never been to a spa (but would like to go)

I've had a few professional massages. I used to work for a company that would bring in the pros to do a 10 minute chair massages about once a year. It was a delight and made for a happy office for the rest of the day.

My ds gives back rubs, he's learning well. Man, why did I have to read this, I could use a massage today.

I have never had a mani/pedi. I hear the horror stories of bacteria being spread and causing infections. Yes, I know that it is rare. I still don't want to be that on in a million.

My only hair coloring has been the in home, from a box kind. That has been maybe five years ago.

Never gone to a spa. Nothing against it. I just don't have the $$$ to spare.

My husband gives me massages. He is not a pro, but he is good. His cousin is a pro. She has offered. It just seemed awkward. I passed.

I used to color my hair when I was younger (before the gray) for fun.

I had some massage for medical purposes; I prefer the deep tissue kind that hurts.

I've had a spa day once because my husband gave it to me for a gift. I didn't enjoy it; I just don't like those kinds of things.

I'm happiest if my fingernails and toenails are as short as I can cut them.

Color my hair? I won't even have a trim regularly so I have a hairstyle that doesn't need it.

Massage? I am not particularly fond of physical contact especially with people I do not know well so I don't see how it would relax me.

I have never been to a spa. See above reasons.

As far as a manicure or pedicure goes, I painted my nails or my mother did a few times when I was younger but I don't think that is what you meant.

I won't spend the money to buy makeup or hair products(gel, mousse, hairspray, whatever else they have come out with since I stopped looking) or spend the time to use them so I guess you can count me in the frugal group. I would say that it is not just frugality with money but time also.

I've had a manicure a few times and a pedicure once, but hated the feeling of someone touching my feet (I'm really ticklish).

I won a "Spa" facial as a gift at my kids gym once and although it was somewhat relaxing I couldn't wait to get home and wash my face after all the gloopy stuff she put on my face. When I got to the car it actually felt like I had a coating of crisco on my face.

I had a massage once. I was going to look for a new place to live at our new duty station while dh was on deployment, and was also 7 months pregnant. Because I was doing all that (flying to a new state, house hunting alone) my dh arranged for me to get a massage while there. After that massage my neck has never been the same, I easily get kinks and about once a year I get to the point where the muscles tighten up so badly I can't move my head and have to go through about a week on muscle relaxers to get it to loosen up. I never had those issues before getting that massage. So now I just stick to the occasional back rub from dh.

no, not a lone..I do get my hair highlighted but have never done any of the other things you've listed. As someone else said, I have books to buy :001_smile:

and lessons for my kids. I just can't see paying to have my nails done when it will chip from washing dishes, etc. -very quickly.

I did have a massage and a manicure once when somebody have me a gift certificate. I was less than impressed with the manicure. The massage felt great, but I simply couldn't justify spending that much money these days to get another one. I've finally trained my husband and my daughter to give pretty decent back massages, so I just go with what they have to offer. Like a previous poster mentioned, I'd rather spend any extra money on books!

I've never had a professional manicure. I cannot afford to get my hair colored in a salon regularly, and I am very allergic to chemical color now anyway, so I henna at home. When I was pregnant DH bought me a package of four prenatal massages. That is the only time I've had professional massage. I've never been to a spa.

When I lived in TX, in the area where I lived, is was pretty abnormal for a woman not to spend a lot of money on regular manicures and salon color. I looked into what it costs and I would never be able to make peace with spending that on a regular basis.

Manicure/Pedicure

Had my hair colored

Got a massage

Been to a Spa

Manicure/Pedicure

Had my hair colored

Got a massage

Been to a Spa

You mean...gasp....that you are living in our extremely self-indulgent, "Me" centered culture and you are NOT participating?????? :confused:

Me neither!!! Honestly, those things are nice, but it's so irritating that they are just considered 'normal' things you do. They are luxuries that some of us not only can't, but don't want :glare: Okay---I would like a pedicure :D But the whole naked massage thing and spa stuff just kind of...creeps me out :tongue_smilie:

I have had manicures a couple times. Would love a pedi. I color my hair at home. Wouldn't mind a massage or a spa day.

I don't see anything wrong with doing those things. I don't find them self-indulgent in the least. There is nothing wrong with not doing those things, either. To each her own.

I will, however, find myself in the minority when I say I find buying books to be a waste of money. I rarely buy books that are not curricula. We have a fantastic library nearby and we make good use of ILL. When I buy a book, after I read it, it just sits there. I'd rather borrow.