Menu

Does SOTW include church history?

I don't remember any church history being taught in depth. There are discussions about various religions taking hold in different time periods.

Edited to add: As for resources to add, you might want to let people on here know your religious background in order to suggest curriculum that is a fit.

Edited by anissa

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258314

Ann-Marie sent me the PDF schedule that Trivium Academy did for SOTW 1 & 2.

I have one I did but it's not ready to share yet.

HTH!

I would love to have Trivium's. I'll pm you! I actually found it in a google search last night. I was thrilled until I realized the link didn't work anymore.

I'd love to have your's as well, when you're ready to share.

Thanks so much,

Kim

I tried using Mystery of History alongside SOTW. I will say that it was a bit much for my early el ds so we dropped one. Perhaps you could add it in just for church history and not for every lesson.

Here is a sched for SOTW and MOH

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sotwmoh.htm

Thank you, Spetzi. I completely forgot about MOH. I actually have it put up. I'll have to get it out.

Concordia Publishing House has a curriculum written for seventh graders specifically covering Church History. It's VERY good. It is about a half-size one semester class. It starts with Pentecost and goes through about 2005. It does have a Lutheran perspective, specifically LCMS. There is a workbook and a TE--get both, I suggest.

Sure! I just need to tidy up the documents.

I developed these a couple of years ago when I started using SOTW in the classroom and was trying to organize all the material I had available to use into a one-view-place so I could pick and choose material.

I'll put it on my list and maybe will get it done before too long!

Sure! I just need to tidy up the documents.

I developed these a couple of years ago when I started using SOTW in the classroom and was trying to organize all the material I had available to use into a one-view-place so I could pick and choose material.

I'll put it on my list and maybe will get it done before too long!

I've hoped for a long time that you would make your plans available. I would love to have them if you're willing to share.

:)

It's not that I want to keep them secret or anything :), I just am so busy. Sometimes I think I'm treading water with one nostril above it!

Btw, I sometimes update Seasonal Soundings (link below) with what I'm doing, if you want to check there occasionally.

Luanne, it's hard to believe your little one is three!

In answering the actual question, "no," SOTW does not include church history. However, there are wars and battles that were done for religious reasons. Thus, there is some church information in the books. But, understand there is no real church history in the SOTW series. I have gone through these books with my sons now for my fourth time because both boys have read through them twice.

On the second round of reading, I had my boys read Trial and Triumph, which is church history, with the SOTW series.

Blessing in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

Thanks for all the replies. I do already have T&T and MOH that we never got around to using. Janie was nice enough to send me Jessica's schedule, so I'm thinking we'll be set.

Now, just have to tie in IEW maybe for writing?

I'm thinking I'm going to try to beef this up, add in more lit, since we'll being doing Ancients and let my 9th grader do this as well. Thoughts?

Thanks again. You ladies are always such a help.

:)

It's not that I want to keep them secret or anything :), I just am so busy. Sometimes I think I'm treading water with one nostril above it!

Btw, I sometimes update Seasonal Soundings (link below) with what I'm doing, if you want to check there occasionally.

Luanne, it's hard to believe your little one is three!

I've had your blog on my google reader for quite awhile and like to watch for your book/curricula/movie recommendations. It's easy to see from the blog you're busy, but it's been fun over the years to see where the Lord has taken you and to see that he is putting your gifts and experience to good use. (If I weren't so pathetic in the tech department, I'd have figured out how to comment on your blog instead of having to have this conversation here.)

Yes, I can't believe he's 3yo. The dynamics in our home are rapidly changing these days.

Edited by Luann in ID