Menu

Earth & Space Science options for 1st grade?

krismoose

I've been looking at Elemental Science and REAL Science Odyssey. Are there any other realistic options out there? I like the look of Apologia, but it looks like too much for 6yo ds. He's the oldest, he'll be 7 when we start, and we'd like to avoid references to "millions of years" :D Thanks for any suggestions!

We did apologia Astronomy this year for 1st. My DS is Loving it! I really love the way they put in valid reasons that it was created (not millions of years ago) and it didn't just happened. We don't always read verbatum, but I pick and choose the information that I feel ds needs to know. We are doing the notebook, which ds really likes, but I still write many of the answers for him. He's gotten to the point that he can do the crossword puzzles with help and the copywork is great practice for him.

We used Apologia's Astronomy for my 7 year old. We actually started it the year before, but life happened, and we never finished it. So we went back to it that summer, and he did fine. He actually retained a lot more than I thought he would.

Whatever you choose, consider supplementing with library books by Dr. Franklyn Mansfield Branley:

Franklyn M. Branley was Astronomer Emeritus and former Chairman of the American Museum-Hayden Planetarium. In 1960, he originated the Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science series. Dr. Branley was the author of over 150 science books for children.

His books are perfect for early elementary age.

Thanks for the ideas. I looked at Apologia again and printed out the sample, and my ds (and 4yo dd) loved the first couple of sections, so I guess it's not too much! And the materials don't seem too obscure, so hopefully we'll do some of them as well. I can't wait until it arrives! And Sue, great reminder about the Branley books. We've read a few, but we'll get them again as we get to the topics.

Actually, it's quite current. It even had a section in the study of Pluto that has the kids discuss and weigh the arguments about whether Pluto is a planet, and come up with a conclusion on their own. It does say that the powers that be decided it wasn't, though. ;)

Actually, it's quite current. It even had a section in the study of Pluto that has the kids discuss and weigh the arguments about whether Pluto is a planet, and come up with a conclusion on their own. It does say that the powers that be decided it wasn't, though. ;)

So it would work well as an introduction to the dwarf planets then? That's good to know where it stands, thanks!