Menu

Creative writing is MUCH better than "school writing"

Dmmetler

DD 6 (accelerated learner, advanced in languages in general) did her first writing assignment from Grammar Island today-one of the "story generator" things, where you pick a word from each column, then use that as the start for a story.

Here's her sample:

A fat fish sang noisily. A sea serpent heard the fish singing. He took a bite out of the fish. He said, "Yum"! He ate the fish.

It's just so much choppier and more boring than I'm used to her oral narrations or when she writes on her own.

Any ideas on how to get her out of the "He did X. He did Y. He did Z" writing style for assignments?

Can you show her on concrete examples how to "bridge" two sentences into one or even communicate - age-appropriately - the concept of the basic connectors to her? Do not get me wrong, this is perfectly fine for a 6 yo, but since I know that you have advanced kid in general, it might not overwhelm her to do some of that with her and experiment how can you write the same idea in a way that "flows" more. You can show her examples in her own writing or in the books she reads.