Menu

SOTW narration and creative story from near-6yo.

Rivka

I want to make sure that my daughter, who will be six in a couple of weeks, is on track with what is needed for SOTW 1 narrations. Here is a recent one she did:

Amenhotep decided that all the gods the Egyptians were used to worshipping were not real. He said they should only worship one god. That was the way it was until his death. Then they had King Tut, who brought back all their gods. He helped wipe out Akhenaten’s name from all the records.

To me, that's a great narration except for the part where she switches from saying Amenhotep to Akhenaten without explaining why. Since she gave this one, she's started wanting to retell the whole story with dialogue, etc., and I'm having to rein her in. This one is about as detailed as it should get, right?

And here is a story she dictated about what "really" happened to Mohenjo-Daro, based on a suggestion in the AG:

My name is Akusho. Once I lived in Mohenjo-Daro. We had to flee. I was almost left behind in the big sailing ship. If they hadn’t dropped the bridge, I would have been left behind forever. They saw me calling and realized I had been left behind.

Now I am safely on the ship. We are a quarter mile from shore.

We fleed because there were too many people attacking us. There was a law that said families with children had to leave. The men stayed behind to fight. Whoever survived would get on another ship and come to Mesopotamia, where we were staying. If they won, everyone would be very happy. If they lost, everyone would come back tired and weary.

My father comes back happy, and so do all my friends’ parents, because they won the fight. But we didn’t come back, because our furniture was broken, our houses weren’t as comfortable – it wouldn’t be as good a life. We lived just north of Mesopotamia and we built a new city. I lived in a houseboat on the Tigris River.

I think that her story is pretty good. She's a little too young and too inexperienced with grammar instruction to make it worth addressing the problem with constantly changing verb tenses, so I didn't bring it up.