Menu

Is RosettaStone worth the money?

Abbeygurl4

Which program is recommended for dyslexics who need foreign language for High School?

I have one of our Doctors telling me not to worry about him learning one but I'd still like to try. I'm glad to see this thread because I've been wondering about Rosetta Stone.

Would love to hear more about what people do like. :) I used RS Spanish with 2 in late elementary/middle school. They did well with it, but it's very weak on grammar. Years later they still remember much of the vocab, so I think it was fine for that. However, I have 3 younger ones and was debating what to use for them. I think RS has been "improved" since we used it, but each level contains much less than it used to for the sane price. What's that about??

I did briefly own The Easy Spanish when it was released -- and while it sounded good in theory, I was underwhelmed and unimpressed with the bulk of it in terms of real instruction and content (and glaring errors).

Great topic; thanks for asking!

• 2 weeks later...

We're moving over to The Learnables next year. I did a lot of research on foreign language programs this past year, even came very close to getting RS, but I finally chose TL because: 1. I want my dd to learn to think in the foreign language she is learning, 2. Because TL has been successfully used by homeschool families for over 30 years and has really great reviews, and 3. I could not beat the quality for the price.

Best to you as you continue exploring!

Blessings,

Lucinda

We use Rosetta Stone Spanish and we like it. If either of my children actually had an interest in learning languages, I'd probably do something more comprehensive. But honestly, no matter which curriculum we use, my kids will most likely do what I did...never use it and forget the entire language within a few years. Rosetta Stone Homeschool edition does have some extra materials to beef it up and we pick up local Spanish newspapers as additional practice.

we tried the Chinese--but it was a no go!! The Spanish was a little more doable--my brother has been through all 3 levels of the basic Latin America version and found he was still not able to converse well when he was traveling there for business--so I think you'd have to supplement it with speaking with native speakers.