Menu

I Need A Homeschool Psychiatrist...Can I Get Some Help, Pretty Please?

Blueridge

Good morning all! I visit here every week and glean so much wisdom. Please forgive my rants this morning but I am pulling my hair out. My background is basically: Homeschooling 18 years (you would think I would know something by now)...Oldest college grad and married, remaining at home soon to be 15, 10 and 8. We have a background in unit studies (Konos, MFW, Learning Adventures, TOG) and some Charlotte Mason (SL, too) and WTM things thrown in. They all really enjoy learning at least some things together. This fall I cannot decide what to use. I map out plan after plan and none of them sound right. I am calm but now just avoiding any discussion of school. We wrap up this year today so now I feel I must get off square one. I am tired so next week's vacation will be a blessing. I need to pick:

~Biology for my 10th grader (she used and didn't enjoy Apologia PS this year)

~Latin for her as well (she used Latin for Homeschoolers this year, light but enjoyable. Last year she did Prima Latina with her younger sisters).

She loved TT for algebra and will continue that.

~I have no idea what to use for history. We burned ourselves out with TOG trying to keep everyone on the same topic.

Debating about returning to it for year 2, or using Konos High School or Quines WWWW program. Choices are killing me.

For youngers, they are needing some activities (we are using Living Books which is great but reading only). Konos may kill me to try it again! Bad library and I am OLD. They are happy with MUS and Queen's for language.

So, you can see that I am a real mess and need someone to tell me what to do! Many thanks for any suggestions at all to get off square one. Our curriculum fair is in 2 weeks and I would like to buy *something*! Blessings~

Did you use the old TOG or the Redesign? :D

What are your oldest child's passions?

What are yours? :001_smile:

I'm particularly good at "seeing" my weaknesses. I have a hard time making a list of my strengths; but when I do that, I tend to get more direction... any thoughts on your strengths as a hsing family? Very often those answers offer up doorways of where to go next....

Just like a psychiatrist to ask questions rather than spout answers, eh?

Seriously though... NOT trying to be cheeky! I can easily sense your frustration - sending HUGS. :001_smile::001_smile::001_smile: But I need more info in order to share what has worked for us in terms of what "might" work for you....

Peace,

Janice

I think you should do WinterPromise Quest for the Middle Ages. It has

- independent schedule for each of your kids

- a human biology segment that can be rounded out by a simpler or online high school biology program

- all the books are included

- hands-on activities are laid out and scheduled for you in a much, much easier way than Konos is

Thank you Janice and Rose. We used the TOG redesign until February when we all were languishing under the 'heaviness' of it. (I had used the old one several years ago for a while, too, and I admit the new one is much better.) Maybe volume 2 is more fun? Anyway, I bought Living Books for grade 3 which was also ancients and that is what we are currently doing. My older is a great writer and reads like the wind. She did the Cornerstone Curriculum Starting Points also. She read the complete SL level 100 in her free time for fun...yep, I bought that, too! She is so fun and joyful and loves to do an activity once in a while. My youngers are bored with 'nothing but reading' and I really want to have some sort of school memories besides when the math workbook got finished...I have been admiring WP for the youngers (CATW) but hadn't considered it for 10th, so I will look at the catalog again. Many thanks for you 'doctoring'...and hugs to you, too!

I really think your 10th grader would be too old for CATW, but agree with Dragons that Winterpromise may work. I'd up the reading, tho, doing some Great Books. You could just pick 4 or 5 to supplement their picks--maybe Beowulf, selected Canterbury Tales, Inferno, and a couple of Shakespeare's works (they have a neat study of Shakespeare, but I don't recall what's in it). If your children are just finishing Ancients, I'd go ahead and do Medieval. They do use MOH 2 as the spine, reading it in a somewhat different order. You could probably cut your cost by nixing a few books, or finding some at the library. I have been impressed with what I have seen of their's. Also, it's fairly easy to find it new.

I think you should do WinterPromise Quest for the Middle Ages. It has

- independent schedule for each of your kids

- a human biology segment that can be rounded out by a simpler or online high school biology program

- all the books are included

- hands-on activities are laid out and scheduled for you in a much, much easier way than Konos is

ITA with this recommendation. It could be your best homeschooling year yet!

Well, doctors, I feel better already! I have the afternoon to prop my feet up and eyeball their catalog again. Now, do you think my youngers (will be 4th and 5th) could/should tag along with their Quest for the Middle Ages, or do their own program? Decisions...decisions. Many thanks again! Oh-another thought. Any suggestions for my older's literature additions for that time period? Maybe a Lightening Lit course or great books volume from Veritas Press...We love to have discussions over her readings but I need some kind of guide so I don't sound like the village idiot. Thank you so much for your patience with my questions!

Now, do you think my youngers (will be 4th and 5th) could/should tag along with their Quest for the Middle Ages, or do their own program?

No, don't add a different program! That's the beauty of WP -- it coordinates it's program for youngers with it's program for olders to create a truly multi-age learning scenario. Your 4th & 5th grader are the perfect age for the QMA 4-6, and your older for the Jr/Sr High program. It's really that easy: one program for all.

Any suggestions for my older's literature additions for that time period?

Some moms get comprehension guides from other companies for the books that are scheduled by WP. I plan to get Teaching the Classics and/or use what I learned in Deconstructing Penguins.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Classicaledmom

I think you might be my twin separated at birth! I could have written your post. I have been making out plan after plan as well. Making my head spin!

I have been homeschooling 18 years. I have been reading this board forever -since it began actually but just recently signed on to the new board.

I have one college grad and married , one son in college and still at home,

and two more - ages 16 and 15 that I am still homeschooling.

I , too have mapped things out over and over. My youngest dd loves the way SL guide map things out for her and she loves reading those type books. She asked to continue on with SL or something similar.

My soon to be 17 y o son will do whatever I ask and would just as soon use all our Abeka texts- which I already have- and be done with it.

THIS is what I have FINALLY settled on:

WP Royals for my older with the Brit Lit la pkg, Ecce Romani Latin, continue Spanish, physics, govt and Econ w/ abeka

WP Middle Ages for my youngest with the Corresponding LA and the optional science using Paces for Biology as well as the dvd that goes with that. She is continuing French 2 and Ecce Romani Latin.

Both will do Artistic Pursuits weekly (Sr High)