Menu

Lewis & Clark Expedition - travel questions

If you have ever traveled the Lewis & Clark path, or planned to, can you share what exactly it is that you do.

Do you hike it and stay at places along the way? Are there reenactments? Do you just visit the visitor centers? I think it sounds like an interesting thing to do but I do not understand the logistics. Thanks.

There is a Lewis and Clark fort near Grays Harbor, WA. I haven't gone because when we wanted to go it was closed for renovation. But I've heard that they have reenactments there sometimes. I know this isn't much help but maybe it will give you something to google. Or maybe it will just bump up the post so that someone can give you a better answer!

If you have ever traveled the Lewis & Clark path, or planned to, can you share what exactly it is that you do.

Do you hike it and stay at places along the way? Are there reenactments? Do you just visit the visitor centers? I think it sounds like an interesting thing to do but I do not understand the logistics. Thanks.

My ds and I drove the portion (as much as we could) from Fort Clatsop to Great Falls, MT during the bicentenial celebrations. There's a large variety of things to do. Though hotels are available in many areas, I recommend that you're prepared to camp at times to stay in more remote and prestine areas. I'll give you a few highlights, along with star ratings:

*****Ft Clatsop National Park is a recreation of the fort with costumed interpreters. It's now located in an ocean resort area so there's plenty of non-history things to do.

*** Ferry across the Columbia River. We took a small ferry west of Longview, WA (Cathlamet, WA????). You'll be close to the river and see a lot of birds, wildlife and shoreline. Best of all, you don't need to drive across that high, rickity-looking bridge at Longview!

** There's a public campground (Chief Timothy State Park????) on the flood plains of the Snake River just west of Clarkston, WA. Once again you're right next to the water.

** Nez Pierce Nat'l Historic Park has a nice visitor center plus a Jr Ranger program. It's a good place for a picnic.

***** US 12 through Idaho to Lolo, MT The central part is a senic road through the canyon formed by the Lochso River. East of there, you are off the L&C route, but are driving through National forest. The actual overland route is accessable by 4W drive. I don't know if there are companies that provide tours by jeep or horse back of the actual route. I understand it's impressive. Hiking and camping of course is available in the area.

* The headwaters of the Missouri River. It's a small state park and only has interpretive signs. There is no visitor canter, I'm not even sure it had restrooms. It's interesting to see.

*****Gateway to the Mountains Rec Area. It's spectacular to drive through, but a boat tour is (was) available that is even better by all reports. Bald eagles and other wildlife is often seen on the tour. Camping also appears to be available in the area.

*****Great Falls Visitor Center, MT & the falls themselves. The visitor center besides good exhibits, has ranger talks and a travis race. (my team won!!!!!!) A ranger program is also available (this is forest service). The falls are within walking distance, otherwise they aren't worth seeing.

I think there are also boat tours of the Columbia River available.

To plan, I looked for the major roads closest to the actual route and made some tenative plans. I wanted to see three things, and everything else was spur of the moment. Much of our route did stray from the original route, but I feel we did get a teeny, tiny taste.