Menu

You won't believe the email I got today.....

Methinks they need a history lesson, if the use of red type is meant to imply what I think it's meant to imply.

I didn't even think of that! If I had to guess, I would think they were referring to more recent history. Think "red states", "blue states." Again, that is only a guess.

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, sure, but I mean something even bigger and more public. Most people that aren't homeschoolers aren't really aware of it at the present time. I think that's going to change.

Well, I hope what it does is to show that there is more than one type of homeschooler, not that all homeschoolers are like _____(insert whatever you want here).

I fear that won't happen.

:tongue_smilie:

Y'all could all come here and go to the horse park and Keeneland and the Red Mile and sip mint juleps (I don't drink those, but....) and we could all pile up our used stuff and trade or sell it, invite vendors from our area who aren't crazy and not worry about speakers at all.....

I'm just glad that I'm almost done and only have one child (and that I've hoarded curriculum), as I don't foresee a good future for all the rest of us at this time....

Isn't there a secular homeschooling convention of any kind anywhere in the country? What about Missouri, which is sort of the middle and doesn't have one of those other things? Could we all just go to Missouri and have a "we don't care about your religious beliefs, we just want to do school" convention?

No, we've always had a small state conference, too. It's just that now the state conferences are jealous of the draw that these big conferences have, and of the fact that some folks go to the big conferences and skip the smaller state conferences (although that's not why we skip them, for the most part).

So now the state conferences are all joining together to oppose these other conferences in order to try to retain their market share.....

The message is pretty clear, if we aren't fundamentalists, then we aren't wanted. That's fine. Plenty of other curricula companies and magazines want my dollars.

Ditto. And I'm not really one or the other - I'm quite happy using Christian stuff or secular stuff. And to be honest - I think there are just as many zealots on the other extreme too - which is why I prefer to stay in the middle.

But this whole thing is...unsavory. :ack2:

It looks like my old state convention has hooked up with them (CHEO.) They were never a part of this organization before. :confused:

No one is confused, we knew exactly why we were going to Cincinnati instead of Columbus. :D I am a conservative Christian, but I wanted new speakers, academic speakers, and a voice for the "other camp" of conservative Christian homeschoolers (classical, Reformed, etc.) I do not live in fear of education or the world.

CHEO was no help to me at all when I started up homeschooling. They serve a limited number of people in a limited geographic region of the state. Their convention was failing before Midwest, because they had the same speakers year after year (Todd Wilson or Ken Ham as keynote, a bunch of vendors and locals for everything else.) The price was outrageous, too.

I'm they have been dying to get a stab at the Midwest convention, but I think they are putting the blame in the wrong place. If their conventions had been worthwhile, more people would still be going to them.

And I really, really, really wish that everyone who left CHEO to come to Midwest would quittrying to bellyache Midwest into a form of CHEO. The organizers know what they are doing; that's why they are successful. The rest of use like it the way it is; some of us were even ridiculously relieved to attend the Midwest convention after years of CHEO. :D Go back to CHEO and have it the way you want.

Sorry, but that rant has been brewing in me for a while now, reading the piles of inane blog and FB entries across the web, as well as emails to the local homeschool list. What's the folk tale about the chicken who bakes bread and no one will help her, but they all want to eat some?

Edited by angela in ohio

I'm confused. I'm not sure what the problem with this email is. It just looks like an advertisement for another HS conference. :confused:

I agree and am baffled by the interpretations and assumptions I've read in this thread.

Right, but when your main point of advertising is that you are NOT "those other guys?" Meh.

It seemed they wanted to clarify the differences. "The Other Guys" have gotten themselves into a sticky situation and understandably many are attempting to clarify their beliefs/position so as not to get caught up or associated with the current mess.

Did anyone pick up on the use of "American?" It's written in red while the other type is blue. Also, "Don't confuse us with other homeschool conferences who don't have "American" in their name. "

This read a bit odd at first, but I gather it's just the part of their name that sets them apart between great and homeschool.

In the interest of charity, maybe they had to clarify because they were barraged by pro-Ken Ham e-mails? :D

QUOTE]

I think this is what it boils down to. Whichever side of this lovely argument you are on....this organization likely had to clarify since the names are so similar. They were likely receiving emails and such that were targeted at the other organization. I can understand why they wanted to clarify this!

This seemed the case to me as well. Nothing more or less. It doesn't surprise me though, because as I said above "The Other Guys" have gotten themselves into a sticky situation and understandably many are attempting to clarify their beliefs/position so as not to get caught up or associated with the current mess.

Unfortunately, it looks like their attempt to clarify left their email wide open to a great deal of negative interpretation. :001_huh:

It looks like my old state convention has hooked up with them (CHEO.) They were never a part of this organization before. :confused:

No one is confused, we knew exactly why we were going to Cincinnati instead of Columbus. :D I am a conservative Christian, but I wanted new speakers, academic speakers, and a voice for the "other camp" of conservative Christian homeschoolers (classical, Reformed, etc.) I do not live in fear of education or the world.

CHEO was no help to me at all when I started up homeschooling. They serve a limited number of people in a limited geographic region of the state. Their convention was failing before Midwest, because they had the same speakers year after year (Todd Wilson or Ken Ham as keynote, a bunch of vendors and locals for everything else.) The price was outrageous, too.

My e-mail was from CHEO. I haven't gone to CHEO to hear speakers since I heard one of the co-key note speakers at CHEO say, "We don't really teach our girls much math because girls aren't very good in math.":banghead: You should have seen my husband's face!

I didn't even think of that! If I had to guess, I would think they were referring to more recent history. Think "red states", "blue states." Again, that is only a guess.

Oh, I'm sure, but until 2000, the networks generally flip-flopped each election year. In other words, in 1988 & 1996, the Dem states were red and the Rep states were blue. But then with everything in 2000, the red/blue assignments "stuck."

My e-mail was from CHEO. I haven't gone to CHEO to hear speakers since I heard one of the co-key note speakers at CHEO say, "We don't really teach our girls much math because girls aren't very good in math.":banghead: You should have seen my husband's face!

Oh. My. Gosh.

I know that those in patriocentric homeschool circles THINK this, but the fact that someone said it publicly is truly unbelievable.

Oh, I'm sure, but until 2000, the networks generally flip-flopped each election year. In other words, in 1988 & 1996, the Dem states were red and the Rep states were blue. But then with everything in 2000, the red/blue assignments "stuck."

Interesting. I didn't know that. Thank you. :)

I'm pretty sure that Great Homeschool Conferences preceded Great American Homeschool Conferences, too. So they were capitalizing on the similar name, but now they object. :confused:

And for those confused as to the problem with this email, you really have to know the long history to get the underlying statement in that email.

I was keeping quiet, just hoping that everyone upset would just go back to the state convention next year and leave it alone. But this is ridiculous.

Edited by angela in ohio

I don't understand this at all, but it doesn't really surprise me that some people do the "I'm the more authentic/strict/ all-American" sort of mentality. What's next, you're a flunkie if you don't make your own curriculum and print it on handmade parchment made from cow hide you tanned yourself, after shooting it with your homemade gun? I can only imagine. I guess for some who homeschool, you can't get this out of your system in (junior?) high school, you have to apply this sort of exclusionary, clique-ish behavior to the rest of your life?

Are there any conferences that have margarita night?

I *might* be tempted to go to one of those.

If you come to Cincinnati, I will take you to all the cool bars and we can look at our purchases and discuss grammar and history over screwdrivers (sorry, I don't do tequila). Believe it or not, this town has a great music scene.

I don't understand this at all, but it doesn't really surprise me that some people do the "I'm the more authentic/strict/ all-American" sort of mentality. What's next, you're a flunkie if you don't make your own curriculum and print it on handmade parchment made from cow hide you tanned yourself, after shooting it with your homemade gun? I can only imagine. I guess for some who homeschool, you can't get this out of your system in (junior?) high school, you have to apply this sort of exclusionary, clique-ish behavior to the rest of your life?

Um, you forgot milking the organic goats and grinding your own wheat.

;)

And really, you described a lot of the reason I found our state organization useless in that last sentence.

I looked at the map and was happy to see the conference that I liked hadn't joined this movement- It was FPEA and they put on a very nice conference in Orlando.

I also enjoyed the conference in Northern Virginia which didn't happen this year. I think it may have been a for profit one.

I am a Christian and at the conferences I have attended, I do listen to some Christian speakers (but not AIG, personal preference) but my main purpose is to get ideas in education.

I do have to say that there is another devisive movement in Christian homeschooling- the whole father is the head concept and applying it to homeschooling. I hate hearing speakers who make it off like if your husband isn't leading Bible lessons every morning, you are doing something wrong. In my family's case, and in most families I know, Dad works. Often Dad travels in his work or gets deployed. We aren't second class families but some speakers seem to imply that since Dad isn't actively involved in all aspects of homeschooling.

If you come to Cincinnati, I will take you to all the cool bars and we can look at our purchases and discuss grammar and history over screwdrivers (sorry, I don't do tequila). Believe it or not, this town has a great music scene.
I would so love to go to Cinti to do a mom's night out with you. Anchovy's pizza? ;)

What's next, you're a flunkie if you don't make your own curriculum and print it on handmade parchment made from cow hide you tanned yourself, after shooting it with your homemade gun? I can only imagine. I guess for some who homeschool, you can't get this out of your system in (junior?) high school, you have to apply this sort of exclusionary, clique-ish behavior to the rest of your life?
I've twice been taken to task by left-leaning atheists for not being a *real* homeschooler because I use some packaged curriculum and reserve the right to place the kids in outside courses, including college level courses. :lol:

You mean you're not unschooly enough?
Now that I could understand. These were the "How could you possible manage when they get to advanced math/science/whatever?" types. Good thing I have a bit more confidence and imagination than they do. :rolleyes: Edited by nmoira

Isn't there a secular homeschooling convention of any kind anywhere in the country? What about Missouri, which is sort of the middle and doesn't have one of those other things? Could we all just go to Missouri and have a "we don't care about your religious beliefs, we just want to do school" convention?

There is one in VA with Joyce Hakim as the key speaker.

OMGness. Unbelievable. I've been gobsmacked twice in one day.

I just got the email from CHEO. I sent it back with a note letting them know what I thought about it and a request to be removed from their mailing list.

I do have to say that there is another devisive movement in Christian homeschooling- the whole father is the head concept and applying it to homeschooling. I hate hearing speakers who make it off like if your husband isn't leading Bible lessons every morning, you are doing something wrong. In my family's case, and in most families I know, Dad works. Often Dad travels in his work or gets deployed. We aren't second class families but some speakers seem to imply that since Dad isn't actively involved in all aspects of homeschooling.

I haven't run into that one in a while. I think I may scare such commentors away. I'm with you though. My dh is out the door by 6am and gets home around 7-8 pm. He has steered me well over the years (realizing that TOG fixed a problem I didn't have, telling me to buy the Latina Christiana DVDs so that we would actually DO Latin) and we make a great team.

But Bible lessons at 5am wouldn't do any of us much good.

That is so....:angry:. Grrrr!

Wow. I am without words. Years ago I went to a few homeschool conventions but the one's I attended did not have the type of topics covered I was interested in so I stopped going. I am so glad I missed that particular speaker. :tongue_smilie:

The other group *is not* secular, it is Christian!! This is the problem!!

Oh, I am so out of the loop. Are there just 2 main big groups that do homeschool conferences ? If so, it's too bad there is not more variety.

Well, I use to like to go to homeschool conferences to look at the books and see a few people I'd seen around homeschool support groups but I did not find the speakers to be worthwhile, so I stopped going. It's easier to just order online.

It seems to me that there are some in the homeschool community that want to turn the whole convention aspect into some kind of parachurch organization and place themselves as the spiritual leaders over all of the "flock". It's not working and won't work because a business cannot operate like a church. It's very strange and ill advised.

Oh, I am so out of the loop. Are there just 2 main big groups that do homeschool conferences ? If so, it's too bad there is not more variety.

No. There were many individual state conventions. They tended to be one "kind" of Christian*, but they only organized officially in reponse to the Midwest Homeschool convention going (semi-)national. They have *most* of the same speakers, but the latter also includes some secular and "other Christian" (I say this as one of those, because I am Reformed and not anti-intellectual) vendors.

*I don't know if every state's convention was exactly like CHEO; I am generalizing.

Edited by angela in ohio

Sigh. No kidding. I don't understand. I spend a fortune on homeschool curricula and nobody wants me. Honestly, I am housebroken.:D

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

First, I really am going to work on this "house conference" thing for next year. Ideally? I'd get seven or eight hosts who would be willing to invite others to their homes, preferably within a two-state area. I'd fly into the nearest airport, rent a car, and schedule, say, a four hour lecture/discussion series at each house. The host would have to commit to publicizing the event and finding a certain number of attendees who would bring their own books and curricula for others to examine, plus I'd bring samples of all our stuff.

I have some ideas about the money end, but I'm still formulating.

Second: There is definitely a schism coming; in my opinion it will be between those who see home education as PRIMARILY serving the specifically Christian purpose of reclaiming families for God, and those who see home education as PRIMARILY about educating kids. Notice these things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I think one is always going to dominate and to affect how you view other home schoolers.

You guys all know that I'm a Christian. But I'm in the second camp. I'm an educator. I want you to be able to teach your kids how to read and write and think and understand history. (Just to make my position clear.) I actually tend to think that when I'm doing that, and doing it well, I'm bringing glory to God. Anybody remember Chariots of Fire? "When I run, I feel His pleasure." It's a vocation for me. I don't need to see your statement of faith before I talk to you about writing.

SWB

Oh, Lisa, I want you!

OK, two things.

First, I really am going to work on this "house conference" thing for next year. Ideally? I'd get seven or eight hosts who would be willing to invite others to their homes, preferably within a two-state area. I'd fly into the nearest airport, rent a car, and schedule, say, a four hour lecture/discussion series at each house. The host would have to commit to publicizing the event and finding a certain number of attendees who would bring their own books and curricula for others to examine, plus I'd bring samples of all our stuff.

I have some ideas about the money end, but I'm still formulating.

Second: There is definitely a schism coming; in my opinion it will be between those who see home education as PRIMARILY serving the specifically Christian purpose of reclaiming families for God, and those who see home education as PRIMARILY about educating kids. Notice these things don't have to be mutually exclusive, but I think one is always going to dominate and to affect how you view other home schoolers.

You guys all know that I'm a Christian. But I'm in the second camp. I'm an educator. I want you to be able to teach your kids how to read and write and think and understand history. (Just to make my position clear.) I actually tend to think that when I'm doing that, and doing it well, I'm bringing glory to God. Anybody remember Chariots of Fire? "When I run, I feel His pleasure." It's a vocation for me. I don't need to see your statement of faith before I talk to you about writing.

SWB

Oh! Oh! Pick me! Pick me!! I've gotta house and I'll even chauffeur you in my crumb soaked car. (I might even vacuum it for you!)

BTW - I love the bolded!

:party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: