Menu

Loving all the book recommendations, help!

Snowstorm84

Well, we haven't read everything on AO or Sonlight's booklists, but here's a few we've read and enjoyed.

Paddle to the Sea by Holling C Holling

Aesop's Fables (illustrated by Milo Winter)

When We Were Very Young and Now We Are Six by Milne

Children's Book of Virtues by Bennett

The Apple and the Arrow by Buff

A Grain of Rice by Pittman

My Father's Dragon by Gannet

Mr. Popper's Penguins by Atwater

A few we've read that I didn't enjoy, but the kids did:

Charlotte's Web by E. B. White (I know, I know, but I just didn't like it)

Pagoo and Tree in the Trail by Holling C Holling

A few books I'm really looking forward to reading aloud:

Understood Betsy by Fisher

In Grandma's Attic by Richardson

D'Aulaire books

Little House in the Big Woods by Ingalls Wilder

Diane Stanley books

The Trumpet of the Swan by E. B. White

The Cabin Faced West by Fritz

I have my bookshelves filled with AO-0 & year 1 books, as well as Beautiful Feet's early american history. I LOVE our collection.

Oh, you said favorites. All the D'Aulaire books, James herriot's treasture for children, McCloskey's books, Aesop for children, Beatrix Potter, Blue Fairy book, Holling C. Holling books, Child's Garden of Verses, Hans Christian Anderson, Just So Stories, A.A. Milne stories and poetry, The Book of Virtues, From Sea to Shining Sea, Velveteen rabbit, charlotte's web.

Edited by hmsmith

Ha! Ha! Ha! I totally understand where you are coming from. I want them all!!! Now!!!

But, it is important to actually USE them, too... I comfort myself with the knowledge that I may not have all the books I want, but the books I have, I have used. :001_smile:

You MUST listen to Charlotte's Web and The Trumpet of the Swan on audio CD and it must be read by EB White... This is a must. ;) He is an incredible author and hearing him read his books himself is a real treat. They are expensive, but worth every penny.

I would buy and read all The Little House books. You could stay on those for months. (We did.)

We are in the process of collecting as many Sonlight and Five in a Row books as we can find... But, I have to tell myself that it is even more important to READ them to the kids. :D

Oh. And, I'd get any of the Usborne books on the lists you are looking at first, if any of the books are Usborne. I love everything Usborne... I have never been disappointed by an Usborne book. :001_smile:

Happy book-buying! :D

We started Ambleside's book lists last year. My dds were 1st, 4th, and 6th grades. I know AO organizes by year, but since we were late getting in on it, I just used them as lists of books I wanted them to cover at some point in their schooling. They can easily be moved around to follow your history or interests. I am sorry, I started typing the list before I realized that you were asking for K-1 level. Some of these are not from yrs 1-2, but I just wanted to mention them as our favorites.

We have read the following(from Ambleside's lists) as read-alouds and LOVED:

Understood Betsy

King Arthur - Howard Pyle (can't remember the exact title)

The Princess and the Goblin

As for their independent reading:

My middle dd, the one that claims she doesn't like reading, really loved Pinocchio.

- really liked Pollyanna, Dr. Doolittle too

My older dd's favorites are:

King of the Wind

Five Children and It

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Catherine Called Birdie

Reb and the Redcoats

Johnny Tremain

Mary Poppins

Perrault's Fairy Tales

Grimm's Fairy Tales

Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Borrowers

My Side of the Mountain

Justin Morgan had a Horse

We are reading aloud Gulliver's Travels and The Little White Horse right now and really enjoying so far.

Ambleside's lists are wonderful. I try to line many, not all, of them up with our 4 yr history rotation. I love spreading them out over 12 weeks or so as they suggest. They really get to enjoy a story longer and get fully involved with the characters. I make 4 day reading charts for my girls. They do 2-3 books per day, 1-2 chapters of each book, and usually they are reading 8+ books at a time. It is so neat that they don't have any trouble keeping up with the stories.

Katie

Thank you so much! All of those sound great! Thank you for helping me choose and confirm the ones I should get. I know there is no way I will be able to read all of the ones on every list, so it is necessary that I figure out what ones are really worth buying and looking for at the library. I could fill up my days looking for every book (as well as reading this forum). I must limit myself somehow. :001_smile: