Menu

x-post Course: bookkeeping/recordkeeping/accounting

Hi,

What does one look for in a bookkeeping/recordkeeping/accounting course? Aren't bookkeeping and accounting are actually separate subjects? What suggestions do you have for me to consider?

What do you think about this new course from Rod and Staff:

http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/item/1-139-1/

I've been favourably impressed with the thoroughness with which R&S teaches arithmetic and grammar, so I'm thinking this would be a pretty thorough basic course?? But I don't know how to evaluate it.

I took an accounting course in high school back in the mid-80s, but I don't remember anything from it. My family bookkeeping is a very simple system I made up myself on a computer spreadsheet, just to keep track of the ins and outs. I know nothing about computerized bookkeeping/accounting programs (so embarrassed to admit that).

But how do I evaluate a course for my kids? I would like them to learn some basic business skills in a more orderly fashion. But I don't know what to look for! (yes, they are learning typing, lol)

Can anyone direct my thinking and give some suggestions for courses?

Thanks.

Hmm - I never really thought about this for my kids. I am a CPA, but never took any accounting/bookkeeping in High School.

I think I would focus on "on the job training." rather than purchasing a course. (although I might consider a course from Crown Financial/Dave Ramsey - but I haven't even looked at those - i just know they are an option.)

By on the job training - I mean learning to manage their allowance, getting them a checking account, teaching them to use Money or Quicken.

I never really though about teaching them about the financial aspects of operating a business, and I'm not sure that I would unless we had a family business or that I knew the opportunity was going to arise where they were going to own a business.

Sorry that I'm not much help - but I am curious to see what others may say.

I have several years of bookkeeping experience prior to becoming a home school mom, and currently keep the books for DH's business. I think understanding bookkeeping is so important for our kids. It will be an asset for them no matter what career they choose because it helps them understand things from a financial perspective whether they are a sahm or own their own business or somewhere in between. There is a program Christianbook.com carries called Professor in a Box that I plan on using as a high school elective. I also plan on teaching them Quickbooks, but I can do that because I have it and I know how to use it. :)

Hmm - I never really thought about this for my kids. I am a CPA, but never took any accounting/bookkeeping in High School.

I think I would focus on "on the job training." rather than purchasing a course. (although I might consider a course from Crown Financial/Dave Ramsey - but I haven't even looked at those - i just know they are an option.)

By on the job training - I mean learning to manage their allowance, getting them a checking account, teaching them to use Money or Quicken.

I never really though about teaching them about the financial aspects of operating a business, and I'm not sure that I would unless we had a family business or that I knew the opportunity was going to arise where they were going to own a business.

Sorry that I'm not much help - but I am curious to see what others may say.

We already do teach our kids how to manage the money the earn, and when they have enough spending money that a chequing account is warranted, we will help them open those, too. We also talk with them about operating a business, as dh is self-employed. We baked cookies last fall and sold them at a craft fair (where I sold some crafted goods) - the idea there was for them to invest a bit of their savings into ingredients, and see how a bit of investment could grow. They reaped money from that, which they turned around and put some of back into their savings, as well as paying back their savings for what they "borrowed" from it. So, yeah, we do talk about this a lot. I would just like a more organized way to show them how to do things.

What exactly are Money and Quicken? Do these programs *teach* you about bookkeeping/accounting, or do they just do the job for you after you put numbers in?

I'll have to have a look at the Dave Ramsey products you mentioned - thanks.

I have several years of bookkeeping experience prior to becoming a home school mom, and currently keep the books for DH's business. I think understanding bookkeeping is so important for our kids. It will be an asset for them no matter what career they choose because it helps them understand things from a financial perspective whether they are a sahm or own their own business or somewhere in between. There is a program Christianbook.com carries called Professor in a Box that I plan on using as a high school elective. I also plan on teaching them Quickbooks, but I can do that because I have it and I know how to use it. :)

Thanks - I'll have a look a these, too. Is Quickbooks a money management program, or a teaching tool?

Not exactly. :) I plan to teach DSs how to do payroll, enter sales and costs, etc. I guess it would best be described as putting an accounting course into practice. Again, I can use it because we have a business and it is available as a teaching tool in our situation. I do think for those who are self-employed it is a great opportunity to teach this to our kiddos since it is the most commonly used accounting software. Hope that helps explain it a bit better. :)

Not exactly. :) I plan to teach DSs how to do payroll, enter sales and costs, etc. I guess it would best be described as putting an accounting course into practice. Again, I can use it because we have a business and it is available as a teaching tool in our situation. I do think for those who are self-employed it is a great opportunity to teach this to our kiddos since it is the most commonly used accounting software. Hope that helps explain it a bit better. :)

Yes, it does, thank you. Seems like I need to put us through a course first, then pick bookkeeping/accounting software to practice with.