Menu

Favorite "non-mom" jeans?

I need to go shopping for some jeans. For the past several years (decade?), most of my clothes have been bought at the local Talbots outlet -- good quality and great value, but not always fashion-forward. I'd really like to buy a pair of jeans that fit me well. I'm a size 6-8, curvy figure, so I prefer bootcut or trouser-style to balance things. I'd like something on the modern side but not too low rise. Suggestions? :bigear:

Thanks for the response. I haven't been in a Gap in AGES!!! Will have to check it out. :)

ETA: And even longer since I've been in an Express. ;) I should mention that I just turned 40. Express seems a little young for me, but maybe their jeans are ok?

Edited by Mama2Three

I am tall, and jeans with a 35-36 inch inseam are hard to find, but jeans from these sellers are usually fashion-forward, and their sales keep them from breaking my bank.

You should try Old Navy as well! Before Old Navy 36" I was used to paying $75 or more for jeans - OUCH.

ETA, I did have to find the FIT I liked in the store, then order the tall size in that fit online.

I love Gap Long & Lean jeans. They are a little expensive, but I LOVE them.

I like these, too. They're usually cheaper at the outlets, same general quality as far as I can tell (I own a few pairs from each store type). They run large. Vanity sizing at it's best, you can usually wear a smaller size than in other cuts LOL. Though, these are my daily jeans and I do consider them mom-like. They're my mom-jeans.

For non-mom jeans I usually hit up a Nordstrom's Rack. I'm petite, so I don't have as much luck as a non-vertically challenged folks ;) I always see a ton of cute choices for normal-heighted women. If that's you, definitely check it out. Decent pricing, too - at the Rack.

I also prefer GAP Long & Lean -- the '1969' style. They have a mid-rise waist (just shy of the belly button) and a zip + 2-button fly. I find the 'average' length perfect for flip flops and flats, and the 'long' length better for heels.

Oh to be so ... tall! I have to get the ankle length, and even rolled up once (so the flipped part is still dark and the roll isn't as obvious) I still drag my hems. I keep one as-is pair to wear with boots or taller sandals, but most of my pairs I cut off to the right length. I used to have them hemmed, but ... too lazy for that at this point :)

Oh to be so ... tall! I have to get the ankle length, and even rolled up once (so the flipped part is still dark and the roll isn't as obvious) I still drag my hems. I keep one as-is pair to wear with boots or taller sandals, but most of my pairs I cut off to the right length. I used to have them hemmed, but ... too lazy for that at this point :)

You would think, right?! I'm just 5'3" tall! Every other style at GAP is ridiculously long on me, but these are 'just right' in the average length for some reason. Unfortunately, GAP sizing has been fairly wonky for several years now.

P.S. I agree about the vanity sizing...you will definetely size down at least one size in these jeans.

re:old navy- you dont find they are very low cut? Every time I bend over....:glare: I have to wear a long shirt tucked in :glare: Of course I was wondering if perhaps I have the wrong size?

Great question! I am getting new jeans soon!

re:old navy- you dont find they are very low cut? Every time I bend over....:glare: I have to wear a long shirt tucked in :glare: Of course I was wondering if perhaps I have the wrong size?

Great question! I am getting new jeans soon!

I don't have that problem with the Flirt fit. I do have a couple of pairs from Buckle that were way more expensive, and those are definitley lower rise and I have to cover up.

You might just try a different fit.

Athleta.com..as an alternative. They have pants which look so comfy and resemble jeans (but are not). Whatever they are, they are not MOM jeans.

Just went to the athleta.com site. One of their pants might be a nice addition to my jeans (when I find them). Have you bought their dipper pants? How does the sizing run? I'm between a 6 and an 8 -- my waist is average (used to be tiny before 3 DC, lol!), but my thighs are thicker than I'd like. :tongue_smilie: Maybe I should just call them...

Just went to the athleta.com site. One of their pants might be a nice addition to my jeans (when I find them). Have you bought their dipper pants? How does the sizing run? I'm between a 6 and an 8 -- my waist is average (used to be tiny before 3 DC, lol!), but my thighs are thicker than I'd like. :tongue_smilie: Maybe I should just call them...

I only wear skirts but I have been tempted by the Bettona pant. The best thing to do is read the reviews. They will indicate if the pants are true to size. I have never had a problem with ordering.

I love American Eagle jeans in the "favorite boyfriend" style. They are the ONLY jeans that look good on me. (I'm tall, but not super skinny). They are a little lower rise than I like, but I have gotten used to it. (at first I hated how low they were, but with a good belt they are working:D). I just haven't found any other brand that doesn't give me "mom butt", lol.

The Buckle, honestly. You go there and they check out your size and shape and actually fit you for jeans. Then they tell you the style and size and you can either buy a pair or leave. I left and bought my pair on ebay. :P

I have one near me! :D Wonder if they are all so helpful!? I am gonna try I think. Just have to get up the nerve to go shopping:lol:

I have one near me! :D Wonder if they are all so helpful!? I am gonna try I think. Just have to get up the nerve to go shopping:lol:

The ones I've been to are "helpful" too...Just a warning though - The first time I went there with my 40 y/o self, it was a little awkward to have some spiky-haired teenaged boy-toy size me up for jeans! That is, until he pulled about 4 pairs for me that all were better than anything in my closet.

Buckle is good, just a little pricey.

The ones I've been to are "helpful" too...Just a warning though - The first time I went there with my 40 y/o self, it was a little awkward to have some spiky-haired teenaged boy-toy size me up for jeans! That is, until he pulled about 4 pairs for me that all were better than anything in my closet.

Buckle is good, just a little pricey.

Yes, this! I had a very nice youthful girl, but seeing as I am only 25 it wasn't too difficult for me. The hard part was quelling the minions while I tried on like four different pair (that all fit great!) and agonized over which ones I liked the best.

If the Buckle started making maternity jeans ( :biggrinjester: ) I'd be ever so happy. :D

If you are willing to go a little high on the price (and you can definitely find these brands cheaper at Nordstrom Rack or online; I never pay full price), I love, love, love 7 For All Mankind jeans and William Rast. I'm about your size and a little on the curvy side and both brands have great options, are super high quality, and are definitely "not mom" jeans.

Talbots "Heritage fit" boot cut

Banana Republic outlet

That's all I got. I feel like I have a dozen pairs from Old Navy, and the fit is never right. Now that I think about it, I'm the problem ;).

Buy on the tight side; they always stretch!

I love American Eagle jeans in the "favorite boyfriend" style. They are the ONLY jeans that look good on me. (I'm tall, but not super skinny). They are a little lower rise than I like, but I have gotten used to it. (at first I hated how low they were, but with a good belt they are working:D). I just haven't found any other brand that doesn't give me "mom butt", lol.

These are good jeans, too. They fit just right in the butt but aren't too tight in the legs. They do require a belt.

If you are willing to go a little high on the price (and you can definitely find these brands cheaper at Nordstrom Rack or online; I never pay full price), I love, love, love 7 For All Mankind jeans and William Rast. I'm about your size and a little on the curvy side and both brands have great options, are super high quality, and are definitely "not mom" jeans.

From Target? Or am I thinking of something else?

Athleta.com..as an alternative. They have pants which look so comfy and resemble jeans (but are not). Whatever they are, they are not MOM jeans.

Sorry, but when you said "look so comfy and resemble jeans" I thought of those pajamajeans I've seen on the infomercials. :lol:

I love ON jeans. I'm a tall gal, with bigger thighs, but I've managed to lose a little weight and was actually able to get in a size 12 skinny jeans there (which are perfect for tucking into those trendy boots. The skinny jeans are the Diva cut which does tend to be low-rise but not so that they're flashing anything. I also have some Sweetheart jeans but they're getting too baggy around the rear (also size 12). The Divas seem to fit better now. Go figure.

These:

BandolinoBlu Jeans, Mandie Classic Fit Straight Leg, Rinse Wash

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=304885&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

I like that they come in short and regular. I am short but not short, but my legs are too long to be considered petite. My torso is petite length.

I like that they are not skin-tight but slightly fitting. They are a tad lower on the back for my taste, but it's that way because of how they sit on your waist/hips/ If you don't wear briefs, you would be fine, but I never want my back showing anyway.

I tried on so many jeans trying to find the perfect ones. I also like the color.

Buckle is where I go for my jeans...I'm 47 and I know what you mean about the age thing BUT I love all my jeans from there! So does my husband!

If you are uncomfortable about being in there with all the teens...I go on a week day(NEVER a weekend!) and in the morning. They are very helpful and can get a jean that fits your style and shape. They are expensive but not compared to some I see online that I would love to try!

Also, Dillards carries Miss me jeans and I have a pair which I love as well.

Good luck...I hate shopping for jeans.

OK, last night I bought jeans from Ann Taylor -- curvy boot leg, size 6. The pants have more stretch than I prefer, but the length was good (a little long) and the fit is ok -- better than what's in my closet right now (I think). They were on sale for $35, so I got a good deal, but I'm still on the hunt. I don't have a Buckle near me, but next time I head to PA, I'm going to stop by the mall I used to frequent when I was a kid. I don't mind an hour of shopping embarrassment if I get a pair of jeans that I really like. :)

ETA: I just tried them on again to see if they pass the "no long butt" pocket placement test. Not too bad, but could be better. Then I looked more closely at one of the tags on the first pair of dark jeans that looks great on both women (Joe's jeans "the honey") -- it's priced about $185 retail. Yikes! I don't care how good my derriere looks, my DH would have a problem with that!!

Edited by Mama2Three