Menu

3rd

2_girls_mommy

Ok, here are two paragraphs dd8 had to write for Rod and Staff 3rd grade English, lesson 99. The first was to write a paragraph about a time she helped someone.

Drying the Dishes

Sometimes I help Mom by drying the dishes. She washes them and puts them in the drying rack. Then I take them out and dry them. Next I put them where they go.

The next one was to be about a day that she did something different in school.

Co-op Day

Only on Fridays I go to co-op. Here are all my classes: tap, ballet, manners, science, and jazz. I like them all. Here are all of Annie's classes: manners, dance, P.E., music, and American Heroes. She likes them all too.

Technically she followed the directions. She told about the topic. She wrote a title. She put everything in the right order. But they are so boring IMO. She writes wonderful stories and articles and letters. She reads at a much higher level and has since birth. Maybe it is because the topics are boring? But she seems to write this way and get writers block for most assignments of this sort. Her narrations for history are much better.

Can anyone compare and tell me what their child writes for similar assignments? Should I make her re do them? And if so, what should I suggest?

Can anyone compare and tell me what their child writes for similar assignments? Should I make her re do them? And if so, what should I suggest?

My DD's writing is very similar. I find I get better results from her if I sit with her and ask leading, open ended questions.

Sometimes I help Mom by drying the dishes. She washes them and puts them in the drying rack. Then I take them out and dry them. Next I put them where they go.

What time if day is it? How do you feel about helping your mom? How does your mom feel about getting help? Why do you help your mom? What do the wet dishes feel like? What do you use to dry the dishes? How do the dishes feel after they are dry? How many dishes are there? Who else is in the room? How long does the process take? How do you feel when you are done? What conversation do you have as you work together?

Only on Fridays I go to co-op. Here are all my classes: tap, ballet, manners, science, and jazz. I like them all. Here are all of Annie's classes: manners, dance, P.E., music, and American Heroes. She likes them all too.

What makes Fridays different from other days? Location? Activity? People? Subjects? Food? Anything else? What do you do in your classes? Which class do you like best? Why do you like it best? What do you think of when it's almost Friday? How do you feel at the end of the day?

Don't dump all the questions on her all at once. Rather, sit with her as she writes and when she's stumped for ideas, prompted her with an open-ended question and see what comes out. Another possiblity is to have a conversation with her before she writes to generate these ideas.

If she wants to revise these particular pieces, you can. If she feels "done" with these pieces, I'd let them be. Then for her next writing assignment, try coaching her before and during the writing process, rather than waiting until after she has a finished paragraph.

I think she did a fabulous job!:) She is 8 & only in the 3rd grade. Her spelling, grammar, and structure of the paragraph are fine. Yes, it is a little boring - but perhaps you could give her another assignment asking her to describe something, give instructions, tell about a specific event or favorite day, etc. I wouldn't pick this assignment apart whatsoever, as it may discourage her and she did the assignment as instructed. I would be proud. She did very well!

Susan

Just to clarify, I agree that she fulfilled the requirements of the assignment. Therefore, she shouldn't have to redo the assignment unless she wants to. (She might agree that her paragraphs are boring and welcome guidance in making them more vivid.)

The samples are perfectly acceptable work for an 8 year old 3rd grader. However, it sounds like she is capable of better writing ("She writes wonderful stories and articles and letters."), although she struggles with assigned writing topics in general, not just these two ("she seems to write this way and get writers block for most assignments of this sort.").

If she is receptive, why not help her find her voice for these types of assignments, especially if her English textbook has a lot of them?

Thanks for the help and suggestions. You have given me some ideas for a new assignment. I will be clear about the questions that need answered before I give her the assignment and we will go through a couple together on the board before I set her on her own.

I guess I should say she is capable of better work, and she is resistant and argumentative about it :P She told me that anything else (any of the suggestions I made similar to above) are "extra writing" and that anyone who reads this knows her and knows that co-op is different because they know she homeschools Mon. through Friday. sigh.. She pretty much just said that she is doing as little as possible to fulfill the assignment. That is the hard part. She knows she can do better, but she knows she doesn't have to because she did everything it said. This too shall pass, right??:001_smile: