Menu

What do you get a 4yo boy for his birthday?

Guest Virginia Dawn

Guest Virginia Dawn

I want to get something he will use often. He doesn't watch commercial television so he doesn't have any burning desire for a particular thing. We already have loads of hand me down toys from 3 older brothers.

Hmm. Will I regret it if I get him a super soaker?

Guest Virginia Dawn

I'm sure he will be armed and dangerous. :-) His brothers have them, but they are in various stages of brokenness. On the other hand, it would be kind of fun to see them getting what they dished out when theirs were working properly. (I know, I'm an evil mom.) I guess to be fair I would have to buy one for everyone, drat!

Too many blocks in the house, hey can you buy a sturdy tee ball type stand anywhere?

This a specific toy that all my kids love (dd7, ds5 and ds2). it is called Tall Stacker Pegs Building Set by Lauri. Rainbow resources sells it as does Amazon. They are so simple and yet really interesting. Basically, this is the toy that I will be buying for boys from ages 3 to 7 from now on! here is the link ( if I do it right) http://www.rainbowresource.com/product/Tall+Stacker+Pegs+Building+Set/036051/1210162182-847549 HTH!

Jenny

Do his older brothers have one? Or will the little guy be armed and dangerous? My only fear is if the older guys do NOT have their own soakers, they will be "borrowing" his a lot.

Duplo blocks? Whiffle ball set?

Stomp Rockets!

http://www.amazon.com/D%2BL-Company-20005-Junior-Rocket/dp/B0006N6UQE/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1210162944&sr=8-2

My ds is still playing with his from a year ago. And Daddy loves to play with them too.

Had the same dilemma with our just-turned-5 DS. Found a set of 2 Supersoakers at Costco. Loves them. Can't have fun with a friend/brother with just one. (Well, he could have fun for a brief time before he got pummeled.)

Another fave - those foam-type air pump rockets. You can never have enough, because eventually they end up in trees.

Ds 16 says BB gun--don't listen to him.

:D

How about a huge box of art supplies? Sunprint paper? Bug net w/collecting box?

Tasco microscope (get just the scope, not the kit, from Home Science Adventures)?

Ipod with fav books loaded?

Pulley and outdoor toys? (rig the pulley to a tree)

I love the stuff from Heartsong. Maybe a flat scooter (like I used in gym class)?

Guest Virginia Dawn

I decided to go with a little tikes auto pitch batting trainer/tee ball set up. The stomp rockets are going on my Christmas list!

The best toy we've ever bought for anyone 3-11 is Zoobs.

You can buy them online or in a specialty toy store.

They are not cheap, but they come with a lifetime guarantee.

With three boys, ages 4-11, so that's what I'm talking about......

We have 2 boxes of 250 and a set of the wheels to make cars.

After 2.5 years of boy play, they are still going and still #1 toy played with, (tied for favorite with Legos for my 11 yo)

They make trucks, planes, swords, guns, belts, crowns, breastplates, birds, spiders, dinosaurs, whales the size of our coffee table.....

Included are directions on different projects until theri imagination takes off.

AND, if you take a picture of their creation and email it to the company, they put them on the website!

So cool for the grandparents, etc!

I would get him a train table -- the kind with raised sides that are meant for Brio trains, but not the kind with the map printed on it.

They are great for holding Playmobil creations -- the raised sides keep pieces from falling onto the floor and it doesn't have to be cleaned up between play sessions.

http://www.amazon.com/Yukon-Express-Large-Train-Table/dp/B000W9KD4M/ref=pd_bbs_sr_4?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1210206437&sr=8-4

http://www.amazon.com/Melissa-Doug-Deluxe-Wooden-Multi-Activity/dp/B000IMQ40U/ref=pd_bbs_3?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1210206437&sr=8-3

http://www.littletikes.com/toys/easyadjust-play-table.aspx?Ne=1&N=26+100

RC

I want to get something he will use often. He doesn't watch commercial television so he doesn't have any burning desire for a particular thing. We already have loads of hand me down toys from 3 older brothers.

I really like costumes and dress-ups for this age: good quality, cotton, fleece or leather, homemade ones, not the crappy plastic and polyester things you see everywhere around Halloween.

A pop-up play tent. It can be a castle, a dragon's lair, a dinosaur cave, a repair garage. It can be a cool place to take a nap (or a rest - we don't use that nasty n-word in our house anymore ;)) or curl up with a book. Best of all, it folds up and slides under the couch!