Menu

Does anyone else here use plugged in Online?

The Black Swan thread got me thinking, there was also the King's speech one. I use plugged in Online whenever I am worried about the content of a movie. It is basically spoilers for the whole movie, but it helps me to know if I am going to feel like I wasted my money, or if it is a good one to take my kiddos too.

Black Swan

Paul

I am just curious

I use http://www.kids-in-mind.com/ .

They explain every single questionable thing in a movie. I don't like my kids to see movies with a lot of name calling and such....because it can carry over into real life and I don't want my kids to think it's okay. I think this is working well for us because my kids are 4 and 6 and have never, ever called each other, or anyone else, a mean name. So I mainly use it to see how much name calling there is.

For DH and I, I don't use it as much, but if I think the movie may be questionable then I will look at it. I don't like a lot of crude, sexual humor in movies so I will use it to see if it has that.

I do. On the rare occasions when we take the kids to the movies, I want to make sure it's a movie that we aren't going to have to walk out on. I agree that it is very conservative, but I'd rather it be too strict than not strict at all. Then I can decide if the crude/sexual/etc stuff is something I can live with or if it's too much for my little kids.

I use http://www.kids-in-mind.com/ .

They explain every single questionable thing in a movie. I don't like my kids to see movies with a lot of name calling and such....because it can carry over into real life and I don't want my kids to think it's okay. I think this is working well for us because my kids are 4 and 6 and have never, ever called each other, or anyone else, a mean name. So I mainly use it to see how much name calling there is.

For DH and I, I don't use it as much, but if I think the movie may be questionable then I will look at it. I don't like a lot of crude, sexual humor in movies so I will use it to see if it has that.

I have used pluggedin a lot, and hate it when they give poilers:thumbdown:.

I just went to this kids in mind website and I LOVE it!! I don't think I'll use pluggedin again! I prefer to know what's in it and then make my own judgement without spoilers!

Thanks!

You mean, "the nun's movie review website?", which is what my teens laughingly call it? :smilielol5:

Yes, I use it. The spoilers don't bother me in the least, and as for pluggedinonline being conservative, I'm only looking at actual descriptions of the content in the movie, not a personal critique of the movie. I'm looking at facts, not opinion, and it's pretty black and white. I've found that it helps me to at least make my kids aware of what they're taking in. In other words, one of my teens will tell me they liked a movie, and I can say, "Oh, I was concerned about it a little bit because I read that there's a scene where a woman has her shirt ripped off and then is raped, and then actually *falls in love* with her attacker? It sounded pretty bad to me..." It gives my teens a chance to assess what they've seen rather than becoming so sensitized that they don't even notice how horrible some of the stuff actually is. I control what they watch when they're young, but as they get older I have no desire to make all of their decisions for them. A gentle reminder about questionable content is sometimes called for, at least with my almost-grown kids. :001_smile:

I use it. I don't always agree with their take on a movie (at least as far as whether or not it's good to watch), but I appreciate the in-depth analysis and the fact that it goes beyond the sex/drugs/swearing content and discusses the themes/meanings as well. I want to know what I'm getting into before I spend my money, and we're pretty picky about what we let the kids watch.

I like it. They are the only movie review site that is even more conservative than me. I like knowing what I am going to see. Having said that, I don't always agree with all they say. Sometimes, like say Wimpy Kid for example, they really find a lot of fault with what I think is okay.

I use it. I don't always agree with their take on a movie (at least as far as whether or not it's good to watch), but I appreciate the in-depth analysis and the fact that it goes beyond the sex/drugs/swearing content and discusses the themes/meanings as well. I want to know what I'm getting into before I spend my money, and we're pretty picky about what we let the kids watch.

:iagree: