Menu

Jessica at Trivium-a question about TOG and VP cards/CDs...

samba

Jessica,

Are you using the VP cards and songs alongside your TOG studies? I thought I remembered you mentioning the VP cards at some point but I may be wrong about that. I am on Yr 2 week 6 and was thinking about using the cards and songs as timeline memory work when we reach the explorers. I already own all of the cards but I do not have the CDs for EXP to 1850 or 1850 to Present. Do the events listed on the cards line up well with the threads/objectives or would it be a stretch to connect the two? I have no desire to complicate matters since we're quite happy with how things are going; I just thought it would be a great way to cement the highlights if they do happen to go together well.

Thank you,

Carolyn

Carolyn,

I'm not using them, they are sitting in a box. A recent thought I've had for them to use a clothesline and clip them up as we study through TOG, read them before we clip it up. I haven't taken the time to consider this further than that thought b/c I've simplified things in history to focus on other goals plus we're moving.

I don't regret getting the cards/CDs but I haven't figured out their placement yet in our homeschool. :001_smile:

Do you have any ideas??

I haven't taken the time to see for myself how closely things line up (hence, my question to you) but I think I will go ahead and do the cards/songs as memory work regardless. If they do mesh well, great! If not, it won't hurt or confuse dd8 to have done it on the side. I know that coordinating VP MARR with what we're covering in TOG right now would not have worked well because I wasn't interested in having dd memorize all the church history (at this age) but American history is a little different. From what I remember of the cards, it's all relevant or important (to me) whether TOG addressses it or not. So, I guess that's my answer after all. Thank you for your input. By the way, I appreciate the point you keep making about being able to do TOG as lightly or deeply as you want and still have it be meaningful. DD is not a history buff at all and we are not history-focused. It is still very much a gravy subject in our homeschool and TOG is fitting beautifully with our goals. It isn't overkill and it's getting done.

Thank you,

Carolyn