Menu

Literature course for advanced 4th grader

DragonFaerie

My DD (currently 3rd but I'm looking for next year) is an advanced reader. She reads on about an 8th grade level. Thus far, I have not done any literature studies with her, aside from choosing quality books for her to read. This year she's done Anne of Green Gables, Call of the Wild, and is now reading Jekyll and Hyde. But, she hasn't "studied" any of them, just read. I'd love to have something a little more formal for next year, maybe a predetermined list of books with assignments to complete during the reading or something. I was looking at Lightning Literature but it starts at 7th grade. She can read at that level. Does anyone know what the work/assignments are like? Any other suggestions?

What about something like Figuratively Speaking? It's a great intro to literary analysis that isn't as formal as Lightning Lit.

The issue I have is that my DD's reading is way ahead of her writing. She can read jr. high and even high school level books (assuming the content is appropriate) but she is at the paragraph-writing level rather than full essays.

What about something like Figuratively Speaking? It's a great intro to literary analysis that isn't as formal as Lightning Lit.

The issue I have is that my DD's reading is way ahead of her writing. She can read jr. high and even high school level books (assuming the content is appropriate) but she is at the paragraph-writing level rather than full essays.

My daughter is in the same place. She has written five paragraph papers but she still needs lots of help and prompting to do it. I'm working on Story Grammar with her right now but she's definitely not at a Jr. high writing level.

Thanks for the suggestion of Figuratively Speaking. I'll check it out. Anyone else have more?

My ds reads well above grade level as well. I've decided to use K12 at grade level (just the literature portion) for the sake of learning the literary terms and such. I imagine he could do it at least a grade ahead, but I figure if the reading is easy for him he can concentrate on just learning the terms and what they mean. I combine that with novels at his reading level. He has a list of novels to choose from to read independently and he reads novels of my choosing aloud to me.

I'm sure you'll get some great ideas, just make sure you don't skip over excellent children's literature in favor of "harder reading" right now. Remember, your dd is still a child and there are SO many beautiful picture books out there to read and learn from. At some point she will need to be reading the tougher stories, but for now it might do her well to at least put in a few well done children's books before she passes this phase. My kids all read above grade level, but we take time to enjoy children's books right now because soon they will think they are "too old" for them.... even though I still enjoy them as an adult! Just something to think about! :D

I'm sure you'll get some great ideas, just make sure you don't skip over excellent children's literature in favor of "harder reading" right now. Remember, your dd is still a child and there are SO many beautiful picture books out there to read and learn from. At some point she will need to be reading the tougher stories, but for now it might do her well to at least put in a few well done children's books before she passes this phase. My kids all read above grade level, but we take time to enjoy children's books right now because soon they will think they are "too old" for them.... even though I still enjoy them as an adult! Just something to think about! :D

I don't think either of us are interested in "picture books" but I'd love to hear some suggestions for quality literature on 4th and 5th grade reading levels. But still, I'd like some type of literature study guide to go with them.

Teaching the Classics by Adam and Missy Andrews includes excellent videos and written materials for beginning lit analysis. He explains character, setting, conflict, theme, exposition, rising action, climax, denouement, and conclusion. There is a handy story chart for all these elements, that you can use for any book you choose to analyze. We have really enjoyed it.

Ask Capt. Uhura how Lightning Lit 7 is working for her 5th and 2nd graders. I think she did most of Teaching the Classics first and then moved right into Lightning Lit.

Also you might like to read Deconstructing Penguins yourself. It has an excellent explanation of protagonist/antagonist that supplements Teaching the Classics.

I don't think either of us are interested in "picture books" but I'd love to hear some suggestions for quality literature on 4th and 5th grade reading levels. But still, I'd like some type of literature study guide to go with them.

Grade levels are 4.0-5.9 based on the scholastic book wizard for these.

Charlotte's Web

Trumpet of the Swan

The Invention of Hugo Cabaret

Shiloh

Mr. Popper's Penguins

The Borrowers

Misty of Chincoteague

Sarah, Plain and Tall

The Sign of the Beaver

Runaway Ralph

Socks

The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane

The Indian in the Cupboard

The Story of Dr. Dolittle

Pippi Longstocking

the Henry Huggins series

Bunnicula: A Rabbit Tale of Mystery

The Courage of Sarah Noble

The Cricket in Times Square

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH

Dear Mr. Henshaw

the Little House books

I'm using K12's 6th grade course with my son this year (he's 9 and advanced). It has been a good match.

This is good to know. I hope I'm not hijacking with the next questions since it seems this information would be useful to the OP too.

Did you do a placement test to decide what level to place your ds in or did you purchase and cross your fingers? I know you can return the materials unused within 30 days, but avoiding a hassle is nice. Also, do you think "skipping" to grade 6 means some literary terms will be missed, or do you think everything is repeated every year so it wouldn't matter?

Edited by crstarlette

Did you do a placement test to decide what level to place your ds in or did you purchase and cross your fingers? I know you can return the materials unused within 30 days, but avoiding a hassle is nice. Also, do you think "skipping" to grade 6 means some literary terms will be missed, or do you think everything is repeated every year so it wouldn't matter?

I used the placement test with him when he was in K and he placed into their grade 2 course. He used that course and then parts of the 3rd and 4th grade courses. I don't particularly like the format of the 2-5 courses (offline), but the 6-8 courses are online and much better (I'd used their 7th and 8th grade courses previously with my older son).

K12 repeats a lot from year to year (at least they do in their literature and science courses). I'm pretty happy with how things are going and I don't think my son has missed anything by (re)entering at grade 6.