Menu

HOD placement question

KeriJ

HOD users, how do you suggest I place my dd's if we end up using HOD next year? My 6 year old is finishing up kindergarten having used Abeka phonics, handwriting and math. My 8 year old is finishing up 2nd grade and this year used R&S English and Spelling 2, Abeka math and cursive. (we did other subjects as well, but I just wanted to give an idea of their skill levels)

I'm pretty sure I would put my 6 year old in Beyond. I'm trying to decide if I want to put my 8 year old with her and just beef it up myself as well as doing LA and math at grade level. Then I would move them up together and use the extension packages and grade level LA and math for the following levels.

or should I just put 8 year old dd into Bigger or Preparing?

i would just keep them together personally. i am using bigger next year with my two kids (my kids are 2 1/2 years apart). i purchased the extension pack for my oldest (she'll be 10 in the fall) & if needed, you could do that the following year for your oldest too. with beyond, you could just tweak it to meet your 8 year old's needs. imo, i would only do 2 separate programs if the age gap was really big, but with just a 2 year difference - i'd keep them together for sure & use separate math and LA only. hth.

Have you checked out the placement charts at HOD? It is usually right on. :) IMHO, it sounds like Beyond would be a good fit for your 6yo. If you don't want to run multiple guides, you could put your 8yo in Beyond and just do grade-level math, spelling and la as much of the la that is incorporated into Beyond would be redundant. It starts at the beginning (this is a noun, etc.). Having done R&S, your 8yo would be bored I think. THe other parts...history, science, bible, geography, etc. would probably be okay. It sounds like your 8yo would probably "best" fit in Bigger. There is a big jump from Bigger to Preparing (so I hear) and having used Preparing, I think it might be a bit much for an 8yo (my 9yo had difficulty). HTH