Menu

Christian Kids Explore... series

We tried Biology. I really really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. There really wasn't enough info for us. I had to go crazy at the library, and our library isn't great so it didn't really help.

Same here except we did Earth & Space. I was really disappointed with how light it was and found it really lacked any sort of depth. For us it ended up being little more than a spine that told me what order to study things in. The worksheets were pretty lame (just IMO ;)) and I found the text to be flat and uninspiring. I found it to be very, very basic and it needed a lot of supplementing.

We tried Biology. I really really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't. There really wasn't enough info for us. I had to go crazy at the library, and our library isn't great so it didn't really help.

Same here as well. We started with this with high hopes for my dc's co-op science class that I was teaching. I ended up switching to Great Science Adventures Series. My first plan was to mix them, but I ended up dropping CKEB all together.

I'm the same as everyone else. I'm using the Earth and Space one this year. Like someone else said, I really really wanted to like it but it just wasn't enough. It's kind of cheesy. It does have a lot of vocabulary so basically instead of doing the worksheets, we read the chapter, then he copies the definitions of the all the vocab. Boring, I know, but it works! I haven't had a hard time supplementing with books from the library or short videos online. It's a good spine, but it needs a good bit of tweaking in my opinion.

Well, I guess I will be the odd one out. :D I love the CKE series. We did Bio a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I think my kids were about the same ages as yours. It isn't as "meaty" as some but for the ages you have, it would be fine, IMHO. I love most curriculum from BIP. I also found that CKE went along very nicely with MOH (if that is what you are using!). Same "feel" to it, if you kwim. I have Earth and Space and will be starting it shortly to add to the science in Preparing (HOD). I know others have said it wasn't enough, but I found it to be plenty. The projects/experiments were decent, but if you were looking for more of experiment than "project", you might be a bit disappointed. Of course, I've only used Bio and glanced over E&S. Chemistry would probably be very different. HTH.

Well, I guess I will be the odd one out. :D I love the CKE series. We did Bio a few years ago and really enjoyed it. I think my kids were about the same ages as yours. It isn't as "meaty" as some but for the ages you have, it would be fine, IMHO. I love most curriculum from BIP. I also found that CKE went along very nicely with MOH (if that is what you are using!). Same "feel" to it, if you kwim. I have Earth and Space and will be starting it shortly to add to the science in Preparing (HOD). I know others have said it wasn't enough, but I found it to be plenty. The projects/experiments were decent, but if you were looking for more of experiment than "project", you might be a bit disappointed. Of course, I've only used Bio and glanced over E&S. Chemistry would probably be very different. HTH.

We are using the Chemistry now and I love it!!!! I was planning on doing the Earth and Space and the Biology with my boys, but I would have to look at it more after the reviews. Dd LOVES the chemistry book (as do I) We love that there is an experiment with every lesson. Right now chemistry is her favorite subject and my older dd keeps begging me to do lesson plans for her in it as well so who am I to argue with her? :D She will be doing it starting Monday and I will be heavily supplementing for her but she is going to be 13 next week and a 7th grader who has already gone through a chemistry course. So I recommend chem but that is all we have used from them so far!