Menu

HOD Creation Through Christ for older students~

I am looking at this again. If there is anyone here with experience with this program, would you think it would be simply too 'young' of a program for a 7th and 8th grader? I don't know how meaty the extension books are in relation to the work in the basic program. Thanks!

Thank you, Michelle. That's good to hear. Did you stay with HOD for her this year? I'm just not sure what do do about high school if I start dd in ancients in 8th, kwim?

Yes we did stick with it for this year and we will be going with it again next year with the newest program. I am very excited to see that Heart of Dakota is planning on doing a highschool program so we will likely just keep using whatever program Carrie Austen writes each year. I don't know if you have seen her projected plan for Heart of Dakota, but it includes 5 more guides in addition to the one that is coming out this year. You can see it at http://www.heartofdakota.com/scope.php

Sorry to hijack but if you don't mind me asking...did you "beef" it up any for your 13yo, Michelle? We are using Preparing this year with a 11yo (5th) and 12yo (7th). I was going to jump to RtR for next year (both for content...we did Ancients not too long ago..and for placement). Both my boys seem to place in RtR, but neither are avid readers. Could you tell me, how, if at all you "tweaked" CtC for your 13yo? Thanks!

Sorry to hijack but if you don't mind me asking...did you "beef" it up any for your 13yo, Michelle? We are using Preparing this year with a 11yo (5th) and 12yo (7th). I was going to jump to RtR for next year (both for content...we did Ancients not too long ago..and for placement). Both my boys seem to place in RtR, but neither are avid readers. Could you tell me, how, if at all you "tweaked" CtC for your 13yo? Thanks!

I did not tweak it at all actually. I found the content was challenging and engaging for her. She is not an avid reader either, but she enjoys getting to her school work each day. I was considering having her do TOG this year (my other children use this) to save money, but she asked me to "please not change her curriculum, she loves it!" I am very excited about the new program as it looks like it will continue to be challenging and will give her some new areas to explore in depth. I think Carrie Austen does an excellent job of changing the programs a little from year to year to keep it from becoming repetitive.

Michelle,

Is your dd able to do it independently? I am considering HOD for my oldest two (7th and 8th in the fall), but need them to be as independent as possible. My 8yo is dyslexic and requiring a lot of my time. Also, my 4yo begs to do school each day. Just coloring pages is not enough for her. She brings me the 100 Easy Lessons book every day and wants to do writing and math as well.

I can't make up my mind between HOD or Notgrass' America the Beautiful.

Michelle,

Is your dd able to do it independently? I am considering HOD for my oldest two (7th and 8th in the fall), but need them to be as independent as possible. My 8yo is dyslexic and requiring a lot of my time. Also, my 4yo begs to do school each day. Just coloring pages is not enough for her. She brings me the 100 Easy Lessons book every day and wants to do writing and math as well.

I can't make up my mind between HOD or Notgrass' America the Beautiful.

Yes, completely. But I do try to sit down with her a couple of times a week for a bit to review her work and to do anything together that she wants to do, such as art study.

• 1 month later...

I'm glad you found this post because I've been looking at the catalog all week. I simply *love* her choices in CTC and the next 2. My problem is whether to use it with both dds. I can't figure out how their high school transcripts would look if my 13dd did ancients in her 8th, then Ren to Ref for 9th, the Rev to Rev for 10th, then geography for 11th...and my 7th grader would be even more confusing looking on her transcript. Arg. Decisions.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ayla

We have been using HOD for the past 3 years and plan on continuing next year with creation to christ. I feel great about using it with my 6th grader using extensions. I would feel very confident extending it for a 7th or 8th grader. The extensions are made for 12- 13 year olds. I have been happy with how the extensions deepen the study for the older kids. So far the content of the extensions we have used with heart of dakota have broadened the program quite a bit. I know the author says the ext. pack that goes along with creation to christ is more violent(due to the time period studied) so instead of the extensions a person can use the history read alouds. I would think using the ext and the history read alouds would add more depth to it if you started just the extensions and you felt you still wanted a little more.