Menu

What do you think of Math Shark? How about Flashmaster?

My ds is getting pretty good at math, especially mental math. I'd like to start including some kind of speed work and also kick his level up a notch with more practice, but in a painless way. He wouldn't tolerate any more worksheets or books, but he might like some kind of hand-held game.

Does anyone have experience with either of these 2 math devices? What's your opinion of them, good or bad? Worth the price? Did your dc like it and learn more facts?

Thanks a lot!

....we used Turbo Twist. My dd's have really enjoyed it. We are still doing the basic operations but you read more about the higher levels on line I'm sure - it's a Leap Pad thing. We bought ours in Walmart.

We use Flashmaster ($50). There are no bells and whistles, but it is to the point, easy to use, and effective. I am not doing flashcards with seven kids, so this gets the job done!

I chose Flashmaster, too. I like that you can select whether the facts are given in order or out of order, timed or untimed, etc. I like that I can go back later and check their scores, and I can program it for special problems they need extra practice on. Also, I understand that the display on Math Shark is rather dim. That's not the case for Flashmaster. It has a large, bold display.

The only problem we've had with FM is if you try to go too fast. The machine can't keep up with you if you REALLY know your facts, so it's difficult to get faster than a quick, steady pace.

Our Math Shark eats batteries, and the screen is hard to read and is not backlit. I can't recommend it for the price.