Menu

Sooooo, who is planning to attend the NE Convention?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please come!!! I want to meet you!

Faithe

It's moving into the slightly more serious consideration stages - before, it was just a wish, but didn't really consider it seriously. I went to the WTM conf. two years ago, and figured that would last me many years, lol. But when I see people here talking about how great the Cincinnati one usually is, and when I read about the recent two GHC ones and how more academicky they seem to be, and when I read about how THOUSANDS of people go to these, I think, I wanna be a part of something like that!!!!!! I want to get a boost from other academic-minded mothers! I want to talk, in person, about how we are doing things here and how we can improve. I want support!!!! :D So anyway, I mentioned it to dh this morning, and he says, "Why don't we all drive down? Philly isn't THAT far - we could have our summer vacation in June instead of August......." So, we are thinking about it! I met some great ladies in Williamsburg, and it would be fun to meet some more of you!!!!!!!!

Many would probably think I'm nuts if I end up not going. I'm only a 1hr/13min drive away. But, I do not like to drive. Perhaps my husband will take me. I doubt I'll go otherwise.

You know, I want to encourage you to drive yourself there. Just this weekend I went on a road trip all by myself for the first time ever. I drove myself to CT to see a show in my hometown, and I am so glad that I did. I stepped out of my comfort zone to do it, but it really boosted my self-confidence.

So if you really want to go, don't let your fear stop you. Face it, and live your life, baby!!!! ;)

I am, but you know that already! :001_smile:

Yup! ;)

I wish I could go. It would be a bit of a drive though! ;)

We'll miss you. I wish you could come too. I love J's face in that profile pic, btw!

Great. Are you going to ENOCH too? I'm working the TOG booth and looking forward to my yearly Harold's visit. :D

Totally! Even if I skip the convention, I'll meet you guys for pastrami!! :D

Okay, one more post from me!

Wow, this is so cool. I'm really jazzed that so many of you are planning to attend! I used to have a couple of buttons. I'll see if they're still around. Otherwise, maybe we should have t-shirts made that say "Channeling Doran" or "teA?" or ummmm...something!:lol:

I'm seriously considering it. I always enjoy listening to SWB and feel encouraged when I leave.

I've given up on the expo here. I was so disappointed this year that I'm not sure I'll ever go back. :( Many of the better vendors that I frequent did not even show up this year and there wasn't a speaker I wanted to listen to.

I am really thrilled. September will be the first time I will be homeschooling all of them (except little Joe) full-time. My oldest will be a sixth grader; there is no more fooling around for any of us. I'll have a 6th, 4th, 2nd and K child. I can't be a homeschooling dilettante any longer.

My most serious concerns are:

writing for my 6th, 4th and 2nd

math for all

handwriting for my K (I really don't like it and did as little as possible for the two who were home for K, and they paid the price)

the gifted child (all my kids are brilliant :) but my 4th grader is off the charts in math--several grade levels beyond typical--and quite a complicated cat)

organizing/managing the whole show

teaching and engaging my real (spirited, distractible, argumentative, bickering, lovely) children.

creating a safe, loving environment for all, one where the baby feels as important as my sixth grader, and where no one is teased, ignored, spoken over.

AND:

I want to find out more about Circe

How to manage the education of several young children at different levels, etc.

Thinking about the long-term, or how not to screw up their college admissions prospects

On my list:

SWB

Ed Zaccaro

Pudewa

Guffanti (I think it would benefit my oldest son if I learned some techniques for helping kids with ADD--do you think he'll get into specifcs?DS hasn't been diagnosed, but he is easily distractible )

Michael Clay Thompson (for the gifted issues--does he get into practical matters?)

Do you think my expectations are too high? Aren't they always?

Any advice on selecting sessions and making the most of this would be welcome. I think I'll cross post this. Maybe people will have some fresh-from-the-scene insight from Memphis or Greenville.

Edited by yellowperch

Back in ye olden dayes of yore, Peace Hill Press used to give the buttons away. You had to merely send a SASE, and they'd send you a couple of buttons. Maybe they'll (hint hint) make them available again!

Edited by *anj*
fixed the emoticon

Back in ye olden dayes of yore, Peace Hill Press used to give the buttons away. You had to merely send a SASE, and they'd send you a couple of buttons. Maybe they'll (:hint hint:) make them available again!

Dear beloved PHP people: What kind of bribe will it take? I can't knit or sew, but I know how to make cookies without burning them!*

* Full disclosure: most of the time

I think we should formally invite SWB to something--lunch, a powwow, a dinner, a little side workshop?--that is more or less just us--WTMers from the board.

What do you think we should do? do you think it should be purely fun and social or should it be set up so we can get work done?

I think we should formally invite SWB to something--lunch, a powwow, a dinner, a little side workshop?--that is more or less just us--WTMers from the board.

What do you think we should do? do you think it should be purely fun and social or should it be set up so we can get work done?

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

All three parts of my WTM handle agree wholeheartedly.

Let's make it fun!!! :party:

(We're nerds; we'll end up focusing on work anyway.)

Back in ye olden dayes of yore, Peace Hill Press used to give the buttons away. You had to merely send a SASE, and they'd send you a couple of buttons. Maybe they'll (hint hint) make them available again!

This would be wonderful.

I lost mine a couple of moves ago. :sad:

What do you say to tossing a beach ball around the vendors' hall?

Oh my.. Wouldn't that be inviting trouble... :-) I like it!

Make it fun and social! I think she's already working hard enough for us at the convention. We don't need to add to her workload.

Well, RegularDad will probably be wearing a Dream Theater t-shirt. ;)

As for pins and buttons, that sounds good, but they're kinda small, aren't they? I'm thinking something bigger. Like togas. If we all wear togas, we'll have No Trouble Whatsoever Finding Each Other. ;)

Just sayin'.

Well, RegularDad will probably be wearing a Dream Theater t-shirt. ;)

As for pins and buttons, that sounds good, but they're kinda small, aren't they? I'm thinking something bigger. Like togas. If we all wear togas, we'll have No Trouble Whatsoever Finding Each Other. ;)

Just sayin'.

It's like one of those convention things.... we can all dress as characters from the period of history we are studying next year! :D

Make it fun and social! I think she's already working hard enough for us at the convention. We don't need to add to her workload.

Can't we just buy her a drink...and give her a chance to be "just" another homeschool Mom. Seems to me she may need to cut loose a bit, laugh and just relax a bit...maybe book talk with people who actually READ...and kid talk with women who also are in the trenches. She is a brilliant writer and speaker, BUT she is also a homeschooling Mom.

Faithe

LOL... or could we go as giant bees wearing togas?

I'm really pushing for togas, I know. But this is a classical education board, soooooo.... who's with me?

TOGA!... TOGA!... TOGA!....

You have to understand--back in my 9th grade ps geometry class, one day my teacher came to school dressed as Pythagoras.

She really, really ought not to have come to school dressed as Pythagoras.

To this day togas make me run screaming.

:leaving:

Can't we just buy her a drink...and give her a chance to be "just" another homeschool Mom. Seems to me she may need to cut loose a bit, laugh and just relax a bit...maybe book talk with people who actually READ...and kid talk with women who also are in the trenches. She is a brilliant writer and speaker, BUT she is also a homeschooling Mom.

Faithe

:iagree::iagree: That would be so much fun. I had a friend before we moved whose family were very into the classics and actually knew who Plutarch, Herodotus, etc were. I miss her so much and need a replacement if only for one day. lol! (Does that sound stalkerish??)

Dear beloved PHP people: What kind of bribe will it take? I can't knit or sew, but I know how to make cookies without burning them!*

* Full disclosure: most of the time

I might have a spare. Take me to the conference w/ you, & I'll bring it. ;)

It's moving into the slightly more serious consideration stages - before, it was just a wish, but didn't really consider it seriously. I went to the WTM conf. two years ago, and figured that would last me many years, lol. But when I see people here talking about how great the Cincinnati one usually is, and when I read about the recent two GHC ones and how more academicky they seem to be, and when I read about how THOUSANDS of people go to these, I think, I wanna be a part of something like that!!!!!! I want to get a boost from other academic-minded mothers! I want to talk, in person, about how we are doing things here and how we can improve. I want support!!!! :D So anyway, I mentioned it to dh this morning, and he says, "Why don't we all drive down? Philly isn't THAT far - we could have our summer vacation in June instead of August......." So, we are thinking about it! I met some great ladies in Williamsburg, and it would be fun to meet some more of you!!!!!!!!

This is where I'm at. I hadn't really even considered it, since it would meant time away and paying for a hotel room... but I'm getting jealous of all the great speakers and vendors, and it's half the price of my stupid state conference that doesn't hold a candle to it and who refused MCT's offer to come last year because they couldn't verify if he was Christian enough. :glare::glare::glare: I think I may have to round up some friends and make a road trip! Like you say, Philly isn't THAT far!

Hmmm... yes... I can see how traumatizing something like that could be. Darn public schools! Okay. No togas.

Although, I must say, if we did wear togas, you would probably be the easiest to spot. You'd be the one running away screaming, and we'd all be like: "well, there goes Classical Country Mama." :lol:

I called the Convention center and while it has been canceled at their site, he did say it was RELOCATED. I called the Radisson hotel and she said non of the suites blocked out for the convention have been canceled or released by the hotel so they are still holding suites for the convention. I emailed Northeast Convention and I hope to hear something soon.