Menu

Want to help me pick out baby shower gifts?

It's been a loooong 13+ years since I've purchased a baby gift, or even been to a baby shower! Both of my nieces are [finally] having baby's, and except for the very basic items...crib, car seat, play pen, stroller, and high chair...they have nothing.

I've been shopping out Amazon to see what's out there, and trying to remember what I used most with my last ds. I remember a "Johnny Jump-up" was a big hit here, as was a bouncy seat, swing, and a walker. I also loved my bassinet...though it was only used a short time. For those of you who have babies, or have had babies recently (compared to my almost 14 years) what do you have that you use and love most? I don't mean just from my list of items, because I know there are a lot of wonderful baby items out there, but what you personally have and love...or wish you had. ;)

One niece is having a girl, the other a boy...and they are sisters. Kinda fun for them...and us! I don't have a lot of money, but can afford about $50-$70 each.

Would anyone like to help me shop? :D

A good baby carrier. $50-$75 isn't going to buy the top of the line ones, but I love my Maya Wrap sling (in the $60 range new). I also love my mei tai (front/back two-shoulder carrier). Most are probably more expensive than you want, but http://www.target.com/Infantino-Wrap-Tie-Baby-Carrier/dp/B0036LMH5Q/ gets overall very good reviews and pretty inexpensive. Moby and Sleepy Wraps are also popular.

Baby DD is 5 months, and I'm really wishing we had an exersaucer or similar.

A good baby carrier. $50-$75 isn't going to buy the top of the line ones, but I love my Maya Wrap sling (in the $60 range new). I also love my mei tai (front/back two-shoulder carrier). Most are probably more expensive than you want, but http://www.target.com/Infantino-Wrap-Tie-Baby-Carrier/dp/B0036LMH5Q/ gets overall very good reviews and pretty inexpensive. Moby and Sleepy Wraps are also popular.

Baby DD is 5 months, and I'm really wishing we had an exersaucer or similar.

GREAT idea!

Hi Melissa,

That is so nice you are putting so much thought and effort into your present! The one item I could NOT have lived without was my Ergo baby carrier. They are expensive but are a great investment. Maybe you and another relative could split the cost of one? They last forever and can be used for infants facing your chest, older babies on back or sides and you can even carry toddlers in it! Truly, if I could only have had one present I would want this!

Here is the website for Ergo that gives more info but you can buy them through many different retailers. Sometimes they even go on sale :-)

http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/category/carrier/

Marisa

Hi Melissa,

That is so nice you are putting so much thought and effort into your present! The one item I could NOT have lived without was my Ergo baby carrier. They are expensive but are a great investment. Maybe you and another relative could split the cost of one? They last forever and can be used for infants facing your chest, older babies on back or sides and you can even carry toddlers in it! Truly, if I could only have had one present I would want this!

Here is the website for Ergo that gives more info but you can buy them through many different retailers. Sometimes they even go on sale :-)

http://www.ergobabycarriers.com/babycarriers/category/carrier/

Marisa

Those look great. I had some type of carrier like that for my youngest...goodness, where did all that stuff go?? I must have given it all away. :001_huh::glare:

{eta I'm not sure I want to spend money on a carrier because, honestly, I'm not really sure my nieces would use them. Shocking, I know, but they don't seem the type}

Edited by Melissa in CA

I LOVE to give an amazing blanket. It's something that will be used a TON!

http://www.tourance.com (Rosebud collection is amazing)

http://www.adenandanais.com (swaddle or dream blanket)

Or search etsy for organic bamboo velour baby blankets.

Another cute and fun item on etsy is by beeper bebe, and it's a "baby on a stick" rattle. SO cute and different.

The Bumbo seat helps babies sit up at an early age. The chair is great for feeding, and playing with your baby. I loved that I could put the baby in the seat on the floor and we could all interact with the baby sitting up.

I got this information from a website. This revolutionary infant chair is uniquely designed to fit baby's posture. It helps them sit up all by themselves! For babies six weeks (or when they can support their heads unaided) to approximately 14 months old. It is light-weight low-density foam. Does not require any uncomfortable straps or fasteners. For babies approximately 9 - 22 lbs and up to 24" Here is a link to amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Bumbo-402-Baby-Seat-Blue/dp/B0007ORN7M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301094930&sr=8-2

my dd bought this when my 2nd granddaughter was born early Dec. My niece then bought one when her son was born late Jan. They both LOVE it. It is very portable. My niece said they take it everywhere with them. My dd brings it when they come to visit. You can easily move it from room to room and the babies love sleeping in it. It has been especially good for my gd because she has reflux and this lets them sleep being slightly reclined.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-Sleeper-Yellow/dp/B002M77N22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301096167&sr=8-1

We love Sophie! Natural rubber and food grade dyes. :)

The Aden and Anais swaddle blankets are the best blankets ever. I splurged on a four pack, and I've used them every. single. day. Heck, I'm using one right now. They're big, but they roll up small. Great weight for the summer! Try to resist the urge to buy the cheaper ones at Target. They're smaller, and I don't think they're quite so cozy. I'm buying a fresh set for the next babe.

I love, love, love my Ergo. I don't know how people survive without a good back carrier, but I would want to know they would use them...

The Bumbo was nice for a little bit, but my wiggle worm could get out of it by 5 months. :glare:

Edited by Annie

my dd bought this when my 2nd granddaughter was born early Dec. My niece then bought one when her son was born late Jan. They both LOVE it. It is very portable. My niece said they take it everywhere with them. My dd brings it when they come to visit. You can easily move it from room to room and the babies love sleeping in it. It has been especially good for my gd because she has reflux and this lets them sleep being slightly reclined.

http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Newborn-Rock-Sleeper-Yellow/dp/B002M77N22/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301096167&sr=8-1

I had actually seen this earlier and thought it looked wonderful...until reading the negative reviews. Not sure I want to take the chance on my lil great niece and nephew. Lots of great reviews, but those few negative ones scare me. :001_huh:

I LOVE to give an amazing blanket. It's something that will be used a TON!

http://www.tourance.com (Rosebud collection is amazing)

Or search etsy for organic bamboo velour baby blankets.

Another cute and fun item on etsy is by beeper bebe, and it's a "baby on a stick" rattle. SO cute and different.

I don't think I can walk into their baby shower and hand them a just a blanket...which, if I bought any of these, is about all I could afford! :lol: Anyhow, their mom sews...a lot...and has made them lots of blankets.

They might like scrapbook kits to do their baby's first year. Creative Memories sells stuff like that. Or gift cards for Shutterfly to develop the pictures or do photobooks.

Yes, we liked the Bumbo.

Baby things are really parent/style specific. Are they planning to nurse? Then a nursing stool and a book about nursing can be good presents. We like our Ergo carrier, but we don't use it enough to justify taking the risk in your case, kwim? They might use it or put it aside, and there sits a lot of money. But it really is FABULOUS. It's more than you're thinking anyway, isn't it? I think we paid over $100 for ours.

You could make your money go farther by hitting some clearance sales at Kohls and buying up stuff. When my ds was born someone sent him a size 70 long sleeve t-shirt from Hanna Andersson, and he literally wore it a *year*. Not much you can say that about with kids' clothes, eh? Now all his t-shirts are from there. They have double snaps at the crotch and extra long cuffs to roll up, so they just last forever. They look good on the outside or under something. His are all blue.

Don't forget team outfits if the dad is into sports. Team socks, jackets, sleepers, pacifiers, whatever. Gotta have it. :)

Do they have a mirror so they can see their infant while driving? We still use ours. The laws have changed, and people are leaving their kids rear-facing much longer. My ds is 2 1/2, and he still is. His carseat rearfaces to 45 pounds, so he may be 5 when he turns around. That's a lot of use out a mirror, lol. I kept a diaper back of entertainment toys for the car (things that sing, squeek, creek, etc.) to keep him busy. Walmart usually has a scad of neat ones to chose from. I also got one of those big flat toys, you know the ones with all the little doodads to move and play with (old-fashioned looking) and tied it to the headrest so that he could reach and play with it in the car. We called it his tv, hehe.

I've had a person each time give me some nice baby shampoo and baby soap (ultra-fancy, smells like lavender, puts the baby to sleep, that kind of thing), and that was of course very nice. One set seems to last us a year, but we must be pretty judicious or something. Anyways, it's a sweet splurge we've enjoyed.

Have fun buying for them! :)

The best gift I received for my baby shower was a basket filled with sippie cups, plastic bowls with the rubber bottoms to stick on the table or high chair tray, divided plates, baby & toddler utensils, baby wipes, feeding bibs, and some teethers. Although these items will not be used (aside from the wipes) until the baby is 4-6 months, these items can be expensive, and it can be startling for new parents when they realize they need all these things so their child can feed themself. You could even add organic baby snacks if you want to provide more variety, or a "make your own baby food" cookbook.

Congratulations on the new arrivals! :001_smile:

Does either niece have a registry? If they do, I'd go with that. I say this as a very picky person who researches everything I buy. I didn't want a bumbo or a jumping seat or a bouncy chair (ended up returning the third). It may be less of a surprise in you get something off a registry, but at least you'll know for sure that they actually want it.

I always buy a cute bin or basket and fill it with those middle of the night things you didn't realize you would need. Such as Tylenol, a thermometer, a nose sucker, diaper rash cream, teething tablets, gripe water, all the stuff new parents don't realize they will need and of course they only need them the moment all the stores are closed. It has always been a big hit with my friends.

I also recommend the Aden & Anais blankets ... they are great swaddling blankets (size & weight) and they will be used long after they are babies because of their softness and weight. If you buy a pack of 4 and then split it between your nieces, it would bring the cost down. Just roll the blanket(s) into a log & wrap raffia around it!

Other ideas ...

• Christian lullabies (may be more soothing to the mama than the baby) ... http://scripture-lullabies.com/
  • Music for Babies CDs from advancedbrain (not Brainy Baby) ... The Peaceful Baby CD really calmed my little ones; we also still enjoy Playful Baby ... http://www.advancedbrain.com/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=58&p=product&id=111&parent=5 ... again, maybe you can give each niece 2 CDs.
  • Soft sole "shoes" with the elastic around the ankles (will stay on when socks will not) Leather: Robeez (which are washable, I think) or the Target equivalent (which are not washable) or Shooshoos Handmade/Crocheted: My SIL makes some, and I love them!
  • If they are the type of ladies who will make their own baby food then a baby food mill (make sure the grinding parts are not plastic) & Ruth Yaron's Book & ice cube trays & the small 8 oz (?) round ziploc containers.
  • A gift basket to pamper the new mama. :) I found this to be a nice devotional.
  • A gift card to Subway or some other restaurant (again for the mama; nice to know on a rough day that you have the option of not cooking and getting take-out!)
  • Books for the baby! It's never too early to start building their library. In fact, I love it when baby showers are book showers! Always the standby classics (Pat the Bunny, Goodnight Moon, Very Hungry Caterpillar), but then also some newer authors (Karma Wilson). And don't forget a treasury of nursery rhymes!
  • A baby carrier ... I prefer a Babyhawk Mei Tai to an Ergo, especially for newborns & infants. Just thought I'd throw another option out there; but it is a very personal decision.
  • HALO Sleepsack (or some other brand) ... there's all different kinds of weights/warmths & materials. One thing to compare between brands is how it opens. HALO has their zipper down the middle. I liked a hand-me-down sleepsack from the GAP where the zipper was along the sides & bottom.
  • If you're looking for unique, trendy gifts, this store has neat stuff & their customer service is great!
  • If they are planning on nursing, I'd agree with the nursing stool & suggest a nursing cover.
  • If you get clothes, I had one friend put all the clothes on a cotton clothesline (w/ clothespin), stuck it in a wicker laundry basket, and covered it with a blanket. Then the new mama was instructed to slowly pull one end of it out & lo and behold, out came a clothesline of cute baby clothes (plus if you buy a 5 pack of onesies, it'll look like a lot more! :D). You could also include a bottle of Dreft or your preferred laundry detergent.
  • And my last idea is a gross one, but it works! The Nosefrida Nasal Aspirator. It works so much better than the bulb syringes, and there's really no way the stuff will get in your mouth.

Have fun shopping & thanks for letting us "shop" too!!!

If they are going to breastfeed a babybond is essential!! No need for any cover or special nursing clothes with it. http://babybondnursing.com/main

An amber teething necklace is a great investment. I have no idea what I would do without mine. http://hyenacart.com/stores/inspiredbyfinn/index.php?c=63&p=14913

You could get some handpainted peggies. This woman is amazing and my 6 month old slobbers and chews on his all the time. http://www.facebook.com/#!/Pocketful.of.Clovers

The most important thing I could never live without is my sling. I do not know a single mother that has used one and not liked it. A wrap is the most versatile and they do not need to be expensive. The ergo is expensive but it is really easy to use.

This isn't a very exciting idea, but I think a battery charger is a good gift.

Those little beings start life using a ton a batteries and the usage only goes up the older they get!

I like to get one that charges more the one size.

These are pricey, so perhaps you can go in with someone else.

Lara

I love natural items, like teethers and sweet cloth toys and such--but I'll tell you, the neatest thing EVER is a video baby monitor. Here's one for about $80--I can't speak to the quality of this particular one, but maybe you could go in with someone else.

When I babysat, the little girl had a camera in her room, and the monitor was kept downstairs. It was so useful for me--I could see when she had fallen asleep, what she was doing if she was crying (was she tangled up, standing, pacifier-less, etc.), and so on. They had external monitoring, so I don't know what they used, but it was wonderful.

I always buy a cute bin or basket and fill it with those middle of the night things you didn't realize you would need. Such as Tylenol, a thermometer, a nose sucker, diaper rash cream, teething tablets, gripe water, all the stuff new parents don't realize they will need and of course they only need them the moment all the stores are closed. It has always been a big hit with my friends.

The above is exactly what I do for my first-time mom friends. If they are breastfeeding I also get them some Lansinoh. That's something you want to have before you NEED it. I also include Mylicon drops.

I personally have found my Moby Wrap and my Boppy nursing pillow to be my two best investments. I wish I would have gotten a Moby wrap years ago. The Baby Bond also looks like a nice item. I wish I had one of those. I had never heard of it until today.

I wouldn't consider the Tourance blankets, "just a blanket." Most baby blankets aren't the quality and lushness of those. Blankets are just something that stick around and get used a LOT. A nice, soft blanket could be used by a baby for years. However, I do get what you mean. I just tend to try and get one nice item that I don't think others would buy rather than easy to find items that anyone who looks at the registry could get.

But another poster made a point - you could get the Aden and Anais 4-pk swaddle in neutral colors, and give 2 to each in a cute basket along with other items. At $50 for all 4, you'd still have 25-35 left per niece to spend on other goodies and still be in your price range. Those blankets are just hard to beat...

Good luck deciding!!

Bumbo for sure!!! These are so great. If baby has great head/neck control, you can even use it for short periods (sitting right there) at several weeks old. I liked it also because baby was not lying on bouncy seat getting flat head. Different position, different vantage point.

I never used it as a feeder, but would put baby in to get a good view sitting up. When the older kids were building toys, I'd sit him next to them in the Bumbo and he'd watch them. Plus - nothing cuter than a baby in a Bumbo!!!

Thanks for your help everyone! OK, though I loved all the suggestions, I went with items I'm pretty sure my nieces will use/enjoy. I thought you would like a look-see into what I bought...let me know if an item is awful as I can easily return it!!

Niece #1 (baby girl)

Blossoms Print Storage Bin (to put all the goodies in...these are the baby's room colors) http://www.amazon.com/Trend-Lab-Fabric-Storage-Blossoms/dp/B0013L3NPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301168873&sr=1-1

Tourance pink/giraffe snuggle http://www.tourance.com/bbpg.php

Vulli Sophie Giraffe teether http://www.amazon.com/Vulli-Sophie-the-Giraffe-Teether/dp/B000IDSLOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1301168713&sr=1-1'>http://www.amazon.com/Vulli-Sophie-the-Giraffe-Teether/dp/B000IDSLOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1301168713&sr=1-1

Swaddle Me (ladybug print) http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Swaddleme-Cotton-Monkey/dp/B0033I8ZL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1301168789&sr=1-1'>http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Swaddleme-Cotton-Monkey/dp/B0033I8ZL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1301168789&sr=1-1

Bumkins Superbib (raspberry paisley) http://www.amazon.com/Bumkins-Waterproof-SuperBib-Raspberry-Paisley/dp/B001388I66/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301169157&sr=1-1

Mother Love Diaper Rash & Thrush http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-759160230016-Diaper-Thrush-Relief/dp/B000GLK6K2/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_diaper13ms'>http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-759160230016-Diaper-Thrush-Relief/dp/B000GLK6K2/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_diaper13ms

Mother Love Herbal Nipple Cream http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Herbal-Company-1001-Nipple/dp/B0007CQ726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301169255&sr=1-1'>http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Herbal-Company-1001-Nipple/dp/B0007CQ726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301169255&sr=1-1

Lansinoh disposable nursing pads http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-20265-Disposable-Nursing-60-pack/dp/B0000BYAG0/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_text_b'>http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-20265-Disposable-Nursing-60-pack/dp/B0000BYAG0/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_text_b

Munchkin Snack dispenser http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-80201-Snack-Dispenser/dp/B000RFHL50/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301169376&sr=1-2-catcorr'>http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-80201-Snack-Dispenser/dp/B000RFHL50/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301169376&sr=1-2-catcorr

Nuk Learner cup http://www.amazon.com/NUK-Learner-Silicone-Single-Colors/dp/B002UXQRLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301169473&sr=1-1'>http://www.amazon.com/NUK-Learner-Silicone-Single-Colors/dp/B002UXQRLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301169473&sr=1-1

Niece #2 (baby boy)

Max Stripe Storage Bin (same reason as above) http://www.amazon.com/Trend-Lab-Fabric-Storage-Stripe/dp/B0013L55YQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301169097&sr=1-1

Tourance blue/giraffe snuggle http://www.tourance.com/bbbg.php

Vulli Sophie Giraffe teether http://www.amazon.com/Vulli-Sophie-the-Giraffe-Teether/dp/B000IDSLOG/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1301168713&sr=1-1

Swaddle Me (monkey)http://www.amazon.com/Summer-Infant-Swaddleme-Cotton-Monkey/dp/B0033I8ZL2/ref=sr_1_1?s=baby-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1301168789&sr=1-1

Bumkins Superbib (blue fiz)http://www.amazon.com/Bumkins-Waterproof-Superbib-Blue-Fizz/dp/B000UE5EXY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301169892&sr=1-1

Mother Love Diaper Rash & Thrush http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-759160230016-Diaper-Thrush-Relief/dp/B000GLK6K2/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_diaper13ms

Mother Love Herbal Nipple Cream http://www.amazon.com/Motherlove-Herbal-Company-1001-Nipple/dp/B0007CQ726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301169255&sr=1-1

Lansinoh disposable nursing pads http://www.amazon.com/Lansinoh-20265-Disposable-Nursing-60-pack/dp/B0000BYAG0/ref=pd_bxgy_ba_text_b

Munchkin Snack dispenser http://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-80201-Snack-Dispenser/dp/B000RFHL50/ref=sr_1_cc_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301169376&sr=1-2-catcorr

Nuk Learner cup http://www.amazon.com/NUK-Learner-Silicone-Single-Colors/dp/B002UXQRLG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1301169473&sr=1-1

Once I get all these, I will try to fit them in the basket and wrap with cellophane and ribbon. Knowing me I'll probably add in more stuff if there is room in their baskets. I've spent way too much money. :tongue_smilie:...but it was fun! :D