Menu

Need a recommendation for a beach to visit while in Orlando.

We will be in Orlando at WDW next week and would love to take a day trip to a nearby beach. Someone told me to skip the Atlantic side due to the undertow. Another friend told us to skip the Gulf Coast side due to the sharks. So now we are completely confused and have no idea where to go.

My kids are 8-11 and love to body surf smaller waves.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I have no clue about the gulf side, but we live near the Atlantic. If you take 528 (a toll road) all the way East from Orlando, you'll be over by the beach. From there follow signs, I think Jetty Park is the one in the corner of 528 and A1A. There are usually life guards there.

We just did this. We spent 2 nights in Orlando (Epcot), then spent 2 nights at Cocoa Beach. There's also Melbourne, a small town with a nice beach. Both of these required checking out of the hotel in Orlando. If you're looking for something w/i driving distance of your Orlando hotel, then I don't know. (You might call the hotel and ask.)

The Atlantic is probably closer. New Smyrna is a nice beach and easy access from Orlando. Both New Smyrna and Cocoa are probably about 50 minutes of highway driving from WDW area. Also, they may have lifeguards on Saturday and may have the beach marked with signs if there is a strong undertow.

HTH,

Lisa

I also recommend the Atlantic side - It'll be easier to reach. You can leave early and come home all in the same day - it'll be a long day - but fun!!

Sorry that I can't recommend a specific beach. When we are with the in-laws we always go north to Ormond Beach because that's where Grandma lives and probably too far for ya. Cocoa I think is more directly east.

Another vote for the Atlantic coast. Cocoa is the closest and, as someone else mentioned, Jetty Park is kind of fun. If you want to drive a bit further, New Smyrna Beach (or better yet, drive all the way to the end of that road and hit the Canaveral Seashore) is great. The 27th (or 29th?) St. beach is our favorite - they have good bathrooms, grills, nice picnic area AND a playground, in addition to waves, lifeguards and the beach.

Have fun!

You can park on the beach at New Smyrna for $5 I believe. Jetty Park at Port Canaveral (near Cocoa) is fun...sometimes the cruise ships are coming in and out. Also, there is a large pier you can walk out on and watch people fishing. We saw lots of dolphin from there last time. I don't know how old your kids are, but my older ones like to go to Ron Jon's surf shop in Cocoa Beach.

HTH! Have fun. We've had some beautiful beach weather lately.:coolgleamA: