Menu

S/O using SOTW with 5th grader...

I'm planning on using SOTW I with my 1st & 3rd grader and doing history ala WTM for my 5th grader. I plan to supplement my oldest's history with The World in Ancient Times along with Usborne's Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History.

My question is how do you schedule both because the topics/chapters don't line up. I'd like for us all to be on the same topic (Sumerians, for example.) Should I just skip around the Usborne book to make them match up? I know the WTM lays out going chapter by chapter in the Usborne book.

Maybe I'm just being too anal and it isn't that big of a deal. :D Any suggestions?

I'm planning on using SOTW I with my 1st & 3rd grader and doing history ala WTM for my 5th grader. I plan to supplement my oldest's history with The World in Ancient Times along with Usborne's Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History.

My question is how do you schedule both because the topics/chapters don't line up. I'd like for us all to be on the same topic (Sumerians, for example.) Should I just skip around the Usborne book to make them match up? I know the WTM lays out going chapter by chapter in the Usborne book.

We are doing this right now! If you buy the SOTW Activity Guide, it gives you the page numbers in the Usborne (and Kingfisher) Encyclopedia to read.

We use SOTW as the spine, so yes, we skip around the Usborne and follow SOTW as written.

We are 9 weeks away from the end of our year. It's worked really well for us. I plan on doing the same thing next year with SOTW II with a first, fourth, and sixth grader! :-)

We are doing this right now! If you buy the SOTW Activity Guide, it gives you the page numbers in the Usborne (and Kingfisher) Encyclopedia to read.

We use SOTW as the spine, so yes, we skip around the Usborne and follow SOTW as written.

We are 9 weeks away from the end of our year. It's worked really well for us. I plan on doing the same thing next year with SOTW II with a first, fourth, and sixth grader! :-)

Thanks Heather! It's been awhile since I've pulled out the AG so I forgot there were corresponding pages listed in there.

So do you follow the WTM recommendations with your oldest...timelines, outlining, using an Atlas, writing narrative summaries, etc? If so, how is it working out?

So do you follow the WTM recommendations with your oldest...timelines, outlining, using an Atlas, writing narrative summaries, etc? If so, how is it working out?

Yes. I think it's going really well. He reads and summarizes the entire chapter on Mondays. Then, Tues-Thursday I have him read & outline or read & take notes from either the Kingfisher Encyclopedia or the Usborne Encyclopedia. Then, on Fridays, he writes a 1/2 page summary about any topic that came up during the week that he wanted to research more. He has to use a different resource than SOTW, Kingfisher, or Usborne for this summary.

We bought a beautiful Timeline book from WinterPromise that he enters his timeline dates on. For mapping, I am using the Tapestry of Grace Year One Map Aids. The boys preferred them (and so do I!) to the SOTW maps. For next year, I'm going to splurge and get the Map Trek: Complete Collection. :-)

:iagree: That's what we've done this year. :)

I'm so freaking out about getting my kids ramped up for the Logic Stage. I really didn't want to go with all the bells and whistles of TOG or MOH or anything else. I figure with some of Laura's CHOLL questions, I may even get some literature study out of next year. Thanks for the encouragement.