Menu

Year One of Telling God's Story readable for FREE

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Justin, thank you. I just sat down and read the intro and first lesson. By the end of the first lesson, I realized I was smiling. I plan to read the rest of the book, but I believe I'm going to like this. I'm not home schooling for religious reasons, but, so far, this looks like something I could really see - and enjoy - using with my dd.

:iagree:

I just finished reading the first Lesson and am touched & thrilled by the tone & perspective of this curriculum. It was on my short-list of things to examine at the upcoming Cinci convention, but now is on the 'must buy' list. Thanks for making it available.

What a beautiful curriculum - I'm on board for the purchase, and I hadn't planned to (not because of the fuss, just because I didn't think we needed it....but I'm so impressed that I'm won over).

However, having read it now, I REALLY don't understand what all the fuss is about.....what a sad, unnecessary bru-ha-ha....

Hello. I have been interested in this curriculum and am glad to have found this thread. I haven't been able to find where it shows what the course of study will be for the remaining 11 years. I tried looking through the sample of the parent's book and the FAQ on Olive Branch's website. Am I missing this somewhere? I am just curious what our study plans will look like if we use this over the long haul. Thank you.

Hello. I have been interested in this curriculum and am glad to have found this thread. I haven't been able to find where it shows what the course of study will be for the remaining 11 years. I tried looking through the sample of the parent's book and the FAQ on Olive Branch's website. Am I missing this somewhere? I am just curious what our study plans will look like if we use this over the long haul. Thank you.

Hi Miranda,

We'll be putting more info on the OliveBranchBooks page soon, but:

the plan is laid out on pages 29-42 of the "overview" book "Telling God's Story: A Parents' Guide to Teaching the Bible."

Here is a VERY condensed summary, from the intro to one of Dr. Enns' workshops in which he lays out the steps:

"I suggest that the best place to start is not with “Bible stories” (Noah’s ark, David and Goliath), but rather with Jesus. Jesus is the center of the Christian faith and the proper place to start a child’s Christian education. In grades 1-4, students should get to know him the way the first followers of Jesus did: through his teachings, healings, interactions with his opponents, death and resurrection, etc. In grades 5-8, young students should take a huge step back and focus on the big picture of Israel’s Story, the Old Testament; this helps give a greater sense of how Jesus brings Israel’s story to its conclusion. In grades 9-12, students should focus on the historical setting of the Bible. The Bible was not written in a vacuum; knowing something about the cultures in which the Bible was written will help them develop a mature understanding."

I know that's not an exhaustive description, but if you send an email to me at Olive Branch Books (justin AT olivebranchbooks DOT net) I will get you much more info.

Can I use this for all 3 of my kiddos ranging from 6-11 or will it be too simple for the oldest?

I am personally fascinated by the historical info included. : ) It's all the stuff the pastor refers to that I want to find out for myself.

Kimberly

Can I use this for all 3 of my kiddos ranging from 6-11 or will it be too simple for the oldest?

I am personally fascinated by the historical info included. : ) It's all the stuff the pastor refers to that I want to find out for myself.

Kimberly

Hi Kimberly,

Glad you're enjoying all the historical background information!

As to your age-suitability question: Year One might wasn't designed for 11-year-olds, so it might be a little too simple for your oldest, though he/she would certainly still get something out of it. These things are somewhat subjective of course.

Justin

Thank you,thank you,thank you. Telling God's Story is what I've been looking for. At least one of the good thing's that came out of this kerfluffle as susan said is it is leading folks to you that would probably have never found you otherwise. Like me. Will be ordering soon. Thanks

Guest mrsajoy

I am really interested in this curriculum, but also confused at the same time. To get a good understanding of books I choose to read and teach, I like to look at both the positive and negative reviews of the book. One thing I am concerned about it this part in the book: http://heartofwisdom.com/images/telling_gods_story_page_83.jpg. I know I read this page for myself (can't remember the link) online somewhere, and this quote was not in the online version. It did talk about messiah, but this paragraph was not in there. I was just wondering about the differences. Thank you.

I am really interested in this curriculum, but also confused at the same time. To get a good understanding of books I choose to read and teach, I like to look at both the positive and negative reviews of the book. One thing I am concerned about it this part in the book: http://heartofwisdom.com/images/telling_gods_story_page_83.jpg. I know I read this page for myself (can't remember the link) online somewhere, and this quote was not in the online version. It did talk about messiah, but this paragraph was not in there. I was just wondering about the differences. Thank you.

The page you linked to is a different book. It's a reference to the "big" book (the overall plan for K-12). The book linked to in this thread is the parent's guide.

(And what PE writes about the concept of messiah is what I learned at my conservative Assemblies of God Bible college. But, I don't want to hijack this thread. If you're interested in more discussion about this, will you start a new thread on the general board? I'd *love* to discuss this more. I find the whole topic really, really interesting!!)

Mrsajoy,

Thanks for checking out the curriculum. I'm not sure what version you'd read before, but that paragraph has always been in the book (that's the "overview book," Telling God's Story: A Parents' Guide to Teaching the Bible). This screenshot, by the way, is from the Parents Guide, the parental overview, which you can see here. It's not from the First Grade book, in case you were thinking of that....the one we put online in its entirety.

This quote has been misunderstood on other websites, when used out of context, and will be the subject of an upcoming post on our olivebranchbooks blog (http://www.olivebranchbooks.wordpress.com). But to give a short explanation: Dr. Enns is showing that there was a human messiahship in the Old Testament. The Hebrew word from which we get our English word "Messiah" is used in the Old Testament to describe many heroes & kings. It means "anointed one" and it went along with the anointing that kings received.

Though there were hints throughout the Old Testament, especially in the Prophets, that the ultimate Messiah would be more than merely human, the Jewish people in Jesus' day were mostly looking for a military/political Messiah, a ruler who would cast off their foreign oppressors. This is why the disciple Peter, for instance, gets so upset when Jesus says that the Messiah will be betrayed...and killed. Peter can't imagine such a thing happening to God's Messiah. Jesus' way of fulfilling the Messianic prophecies was surprising...combining the victorious ruler with the Suffering Servant of Isaiah 53.

As Dr. Enns says in the page that you linked to, Jesus, the divine Son of God, not only fulfills the Messianic prophecies and expectations but goes beyond them. He's the Final Messiah...the true "anointed one" (the Greek word for Anointed One, "Christ," is used as his title in the New Testament). He is divine, unlike any human king. He saves people not just from the Roman occupying army, but from humanity's true enemies...sin, death, etc. But this was surprising at the time, only becoming clearer as the new Christians took a fresh look at the Old Testament Scriptures. (see Luke 24:13-32)

Have I addressed the part that you were concerned about? If not, let me know. I'll be away from my computer until tonight but will try to answer any follow-up questions as soon as I return.

Guest mrsajoy
The page you linked to is a different book. It's a reference to the "big" book (the overall plan for K-12). The book linked to in this thread is the parent's guide.

(And what PE writes about the concept of messiah is what I learned at my conservative Assemblies of God Bible college. But, I don't want to hijack this thread. If you're interested in more discussion about this, will you start a new thread on the general board? I'd *love* to discuss this more. I find the whole topic really, really interesting!!)

Just did that; hope I posted it in the correct forum:)

Guest mrsajoy
Mrsajoy,

Thanks for checking out the curriculum. I'm not sure what version you'd read before, but that paragraph has always been in the book (that's the "overview book," Telling God's Story: A Parents' Guide to Teaching the Bible). This screenshot, by the way, is from the Parents Guide, the parental overview, which you can see here. It's not from the First Grade book, in case you were thinking of that....the one we put online in its entirety.

This quote has been misunderstood on other websites, when used out of context, and will be the subject of an upcoming post on our olivebranchbooks blog (www.olivebranchbooks.wordpress.com). But to give a short explanation: Dr. Enns is showing that there was a human messiahship in the Old Testament. The Hebrew word from which we get our English word "Messiah" is used in the Old Testament to describe many heroes & kings. It means "anointed one" and it went along with the anointing that kings received.

Though there were hints throughout the Old Testament, especially in the Prophets, that the ultimate Messiah would be more than merely human, the Jewish people in Jesus' day were mostly looking for a military/political Messiah, a ruler who would cast off their foreign oppressors. This is why the disciple Peter, for instance, gets so upset when Jesus says that the Messiah will be betrayed...and killed. Peter can't imagine such a thing happening to God's Messiah. Jesus' way of fulfilling the Messianic prophecies was surprising...combining the victorious ruler with the Suffering Servant of Isaiah 53.

As Dr. Enns says in the page that you linked to, Jesus, the divine Son of God, not only fulfills the Messianic prophecies and expectations but goes beyond them. He's the Final Messiah...the true "anointed one" (the Greek word for Anointed One, "Christ," is used as his title in the New Testament). He is divine, unlike any human king. He saves people not just from the Roman occupying army, but from humanity's true enemies...sin, death, etc. But this was surprising at the time, only becoming clearer as the new Christians took a fresh look at the Old Testament Scriptures. (see Luke 24:13-32)

Have I addressed the part that you were concerned about? If not, let me know. I'll be away from my computer until tonight but will try to answer any follow-up questions as soon as I return.

Yes, thank you so much!!! It was hard to get the whole context with only such a small portion. Thanks again!!!

Just did that; hope I posted it in the correct forum:)

(cross-posting from the general board to cover my rear)

Ack! No! I didn't mean repost the question about the parent guide, but I find the *theological* question really interesting (mainly how theological ideas/words can mean more than one thing.) Sorry - I should have been clearer.

(Sorry for the brief hijack!)

• 2 weeks later...

To the publisher: Please capitalize the word "is" in your lesson titles! "God Is Joyful Over You," "Jesus Is the Light of the World," etc.

It's a short word, yes, but it is a verb, so it should be capitalized in titles. I realize that almost every blog and online publication lowercases the "is" (also "it," which, as a pronoun, should likewise be capitalized), but book publishers should know better.

Thank you!

P.S. This looks like a lovely and very informative book. I *almost* want to buy it. I very much want to proofread it. :)

Edited by Crispa

• 3 weeks later...

I want to add that I do understand the concern with the author. I personally take the Bible as literal, but seeing the book for myself, it looks like a great way to talk to my kids about how the stories of Jesus are applicable to our lives. God wants our hearts, and this seems to fit the bill in teaching that :) I would almost want to preview future years volumes to see what the theology is in relevance to creation, etc. but will cross that road when it comes to it in future years :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest Redwood Mama

We bought Telling God's Story based on the design of the book. My son loves Story of the World and when I told him about TGS and the similar format, he was in love!

We received the curriculum last week, but I was also teaching VBS, so I've only read through part of the book. I love what I see! Thank you!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I need to talk my husband into buying this now that I've read it. Didn't realize how much I'd like it! Does anyone know if there is something similar (in that it has lessons laid out in everyday language, with projects) but dealing with virtues and character building stuff not Bible? I'm looking for a course that has stuff like honesty, kindness, but not from a religious point of view. Oh, it's for a first grader/kindergarten kid.

On second thought, does anyone who dislikes this course have a copy they no longer want that I can buy?

Edited by toawh

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone know if Year Two will be available in the near future? We've been enjoying Year One and I'm hoping to move along in the series. When the first book was released, I was told the books would likely be produced one per year, but I've not heard anything else about it.

Colleen,

Thanks for your interest! The Year Two books should be available in about a month. Our blog (olivebranchbooks.wordpress.com) and our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/olivebranchbks) will both give updates as to exact availability dates, once we know them.

Oh good! I was just looking around to find out if more was being done in the series since I don't want to start if it's not going to go on. I look forward to hearing of the release!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest infantrywife_101wj92

i apologize if this has already been answered, i didnt read through the previous 10 pages. wondering when the other grades will be available?

• 4 weeks later...
i apologize if this has already been answered, i didnt read through the previous 10 pages. wondering when the other grades will be available?

Infantrywife: the 1st and 2nd years are available now, and we're hoping to add Year 3 next summer and Year 4 the winter after that...will update as soon as we have firmer dates.

Justin at Peace Hill Press