Menu

Netflix/Teaching Company

Someone mentioned finding Teaching Company DVDs on Netflix. How did you find them? I find the search mechanisms on Netflix woefully inadequate for the nonfiction/documentary selections.

You have to search by the lecture name. I agree that the search function on Netflix is pretty bad!

Off the top of my head, I know that the Teaching Company high school algebra course is listed as "Algebra 1: Lesson 1: An Overview" and so on. :)

REALLY?
It's unbelievable, isn't it? I've always hoped that Amazon would buy them just so their search could be beefed up.

It's frustrating finding anything non-fiction in Netflix. If it's not in the title, you really need to already know what you're looking for. A decent key word search would be so much better.

I have problems finding TC things w/our library's system too. They have them listed as The Great Courses, I think.

I'm still digging around Netflix....

But my library! We have 110 lecture sets in the system! We have to search with The Teaching Company as the author.

Our library has them listed as "The Great Courses" too. Unfortunately, they only have 3 sets (Shakespeare, The American Civil War, and one on Rome). Need to just sit one day, and do massive title searches on Netflix, I guess.

I'm not familiar with The Teaching Company - we are just going to start our first homeschool year in the fall.

However, if you search on netflix by "browse dvds" then "genre" then "special interest" - there is a category called "homework help" that has lots of stuff that sounds like what you're looking for. I only browsed the science category, though...and didn't see The Teaching Company in any titles, but I'm not sure what to look for exactly.

However, if you search on netflix by "browse dvds" then "genre" then "special interest" - there is a category called "homework help" that has lots of stuff that sounds like what you're looking for. I only browsed the science category, though...and didn't see The Teaching Company in any titles, but I'm not sure what to look for exactly.

Actually, that was helpful. I browsed through the math section and found 2 TC series: algebra and geometry.

If you browse by the lecturer's name, these will come up.

"Neagoy" for algebra

"Noggle" for geometry

"basic math" brings up the series by Siegel

"chemistry lesson" brings up the course High School Level—Chemistry by Cardulla

• 5 months later...

of lecture names on TTCs website. I know it is time consuming, but you can get the list of all the lectures in a series that way. If you have two browser windows open, you should be able to copy and paste the titles in your search.

That is the method I use for searching for things in my local tricounty area libraries too....saves time. I open up a tab for each library and a tab for TTC and then I copy and paste and search all of them at once.

HTH

I tried searching my library for Teaching Co., and came up with nothing. When I tried by Great Courses, there were 62! They have all the ones for the ancients that I needed. Some are on VHS and audiocassette, so I will have to be creative, but you guys saved my plan. I wanted to use these this year, but could not afford them. As usual the hive mind is all powerful!

Thank You,

I tried looking on Netflix for the Great Course titles and am not finding ANY.

I think I tried the suggestions you guys have on these posts, but am still coming up empty.

Any other advice? I typed in a few various titles - like How to Become a Superstar Student, Economics, etc.

Nothing. I also tried using the lecturers' names, still nothing. :confused:

Please tell me more about how you all are finding these on NF.

Thanks!

I tried looking on Netflix for the Great Course titles and am not finding ANY.

I think I tried the suggestions you guys have on these posts, but am still coming up empty.

Any other advice? I typed in a few various titles - like How to Become a Superstar Student, Economics, etc.

Nothing. I also tried using the lecturers' names, still nothing. :confused:

Please tell me more about how you all are finding these on NF.

Thanks!

I envision a sticky rather like the Rosetta Stone, making connections between Netflix titles and Teaching Company titles. Wouldn't that be cool?

• 2 weeks later...

These are the only ones I was able to find at Netflix:

High school level Basic Math - 30 lessons, 30 minutes each (Murray Siegel) 1998

High school level Algebra 1 - 30 lessons, 30 minutes each (Monica Neagoy) 2000

High school level Geometry - James Noggle 2000

High school level Chemistry - 2000

Unfortunately, each lesson is on a single DVD so in order to view the whole course you have to check out all 30 DVD's.

I searched these titles based on the reviews from this site. The authors of these reviews list the recommended ages as 15-18.