Menu

What's with the ads?

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LAmom

Main differences between VP, MFW, TOG?

Their are so many good choices! I need to figure out what the differences are overall (I understand some things, but not so much philosophies, etc). I have used MFW 1st and Adv so understand MFW a bit but not what the future years hold. VP seems too hard to use with 4 kids 2 years apart down (thinking future here). I keep thinking about the future years, high school, but by then who knows what my preferences will be. I don't really want to invest into expensive programs and then not use them again.

Where I am at:

VP looks good in many ways (don't know what I think about the main focus on Western cultures and lacking in others).

TOG looks like what I want but maybe not until kids are older? MFW....well, Adv made me lose overall interest and I heard ECC is more of the same (stylewise).

SOTW: Used with AG, this looks like enough for younger years?

I am fairly stretched now trying to get the basics done with my dd, having 3 little boys running around. Will try to have more routine next year with one of the boys jumping in to the schooling (more so than now).

I have read a lot of previous posts. It seems to be all about preference. But, how do you know until you try it out?! I read somewhere that TOG is not really suppose to be used until oldest is in 5th grade. I could easily wait 2 years....

:) Thank you.

I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. I've looked at all those programs as well as some others. I own material from SOTW, VP, and TOG. My kids are not much older than yours, so it's not like I'm far ahead to give you good perspective.

I would guess SOTW is the easiest to use. However, I never cared for this as a spine. Friends who have used SOTW for 1st-4th have moved into MOH for later elementary. I guess they don't complete another four-year cycle, because MOH is on a five-year rotation. A few years ago, we got the SOTW CDs because my oldest tried them out from the library and liked them. So the kids have listened to all four cycles of these a few times (like lunchtime). I don't bother to have them correlate with what we're doing.

As you said, there are many wonderful things about TOG.

--I love the author's commentary in TOG. She does a great job pointing to Christ and looking for God in the workings of man.

--There are great exercises for the dialectic/rhetoric level.

--The books recommended are generally great. Plus, there are so many recommendations. I always want more good books!

--The community is fantastic. What a wonderful, supportive bunch of people. No nastiness. I can't say enough good things about them.

--Nice assignment charts.

--Geography that's included. The TOG maps were better than Knowledge Quest's old maps available to non-TOG users. KQ has redone their maps.

However, I've ended up using the VP cards and CDs (crammed into a four-year cycle) as my spine. VP is just a lot easier for me to use, and it provides my 1st grader with great visuals to recall events. (The artwork in SOTW was honestly unattractive.) Plus, they love those songs. It's affordable enough for me to purchase and tweak as desired.

I pretty much ignore the reading assignments at the bottom of each card. Instead, I assign them some reading related to that unit (chosen from within VP and from elsewhere). I think that's where an acquaintance had her downfall. She used it with a large family of mostly younger kids. She wanted to switch to TOG. I think she said VP was too time-consuming for her. I think she was trying to read through everything listed on the card. Some of that stuff is pretty dry.

I've come around to getting the Teacher Guide on CD. Most of it is a waste for me because there are a whole lot of worksheets. I just use those as oral quizzes occasionally. However, there are a few games you can play. The kids also like the medallions you put on a large map to mark the cards you've covered.

Enough rambling. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Their are so many good choices! I need to figure out what the differences are overall (I understand some things, but not so much philosophies, etc). I have used MFW 1st and Adv so understand MFW a bit but not what the future years hold. VP seems too hard to use with 4 kids 2 years apart down (thinking future here). I keep thinking about the future years, high school, but by then who knows what my preferences will be. I don't really want to invest into expensive programs and then not use them again.

Where I am at:

VP looks good in many ways (don't know what I think about the main focus on Western cultures and lacking in others).

TOG looks like what I want but maybe not until kids are older? MFW....well, Adv made me lose overall interest and I heard ECC is more of the same (stylewise).

SOTW: Used with AG, this looks like enough for younger years?

I am fairly stretched now trying to get the basics done with my dd, having 3 little boys running around. Will try to have more routine next year with one of the boys jumping in to the schooling (more so than now).

I have read a lot of previous posts. It seems to be all about preference. But, how do you know until you try it out?! I read somewhere that TOG is not really suppose to be used until oldest is in 5th grade. I could easily wait 2 years....

:) Thank you.

TOG is wonderful in the grammar stages. We have found the living books selections to be much more enjoyable than SOTW (although we do read SOTW for upper grammar as reinforcement and use the SOTW activities pages for coloring). We like the maps. I wish I would have owned it in my first round b/c not only is it more enjoyable, but it also would have given me a nice look at the whole of home schooling (K-8). It would have helped me grow as a teacher a little sooner than I did (after starting TOG in D).

Hello, Tina!

Tina was one of the wonderful TOG users I mentioned. She helped me so much to get started. The problem with execution was all my own.

I was just wondering recently what I would do if I had a TOG co-op in town. I referred to my TOG binders to work out what I wanted to cover this year. Very inspirational.

Some reasons TOG would work well for you:

You could give your school-age children their weekly assignments. They are split up by level. That's something that is harder with VP because the recommended reading is not divided up into levels, which is why you see several books on John Calvin (for example). VP has reading for various age levels, but you have to figure out the levels yourself. However, I think you can buy lesson plans to learn how to execute VP.

TOG also has nice weekly checklists of things the kids should learn that week per level. These included vocabulary and geography terms. There are also POP quizzes, lapbooks, and other supplemental material. Plus, there are so many TOG users who provide you with free helps!

I would suggest getting the digital. The printed version is more of a pain to copy, more expensive, and more unwieldy. I think that's what did me in.

What I like about VP is that I can just pull out the cards quickly and get a big-picture overview of what we're doing in one year. Then, I have the freedom to build off of those cards. At first, I wrestled with the focus on Western civilization, but I found that I preferred that to the spattering of other cultures thrown in at apparently random times (primarily thinking of SOTW here). I would instead treat the other cultures as separate units to mesh in.

Part depends on how much you want/need as a teacher. You don't get much from VP (as a teacher), but that is reflected in the lower price.

Hello, Tina!

Tina was one of the wonderful TOG users I mentioned. She helped me so much to get started. The problem with execution was all my own.

I was just wondering recently what I would do if I had a TOG co-op in town. I referred to my TOG binders to work out what I wanted to cover this year. Very inspirational.

Some reasons TOG would work well for you:

You could give your school-age children their weekly assignments. They are split up by level. That's something that is harder with VP because the recommended reading is not divided up into levels, which is why you see several books on John Calvin (for example). VP has reading for various age levels, but you have to figure out the levels yourself. However, I think you can buy lesson plans to learn how to execute VP.

TOG also has nice weekly checklists of things the kids should learn that week per level. These included vocabulary and geography terms. There are also POP quizzes, lapbooks, and other supplemental material. Plus, there are so many TOG users who provide you with free helps!

I would suggest getting the digital. The printed version is more of a pain to copy, more expensive, and more unwieldy. I think that's what did me in.

What I like about VP is that I can just pull out the cards quickly and get a big-picture overview of what we're doing in one year. Then, I have the freedom to build off of those cards. At first, I wrestled with the focus on Western civilization, but I found that I preferred that to the spattering of other cultures thrown in at apparently random times (primarily thinking of SOTW here). I would instead treat the other cultures as separate units to mesh in.

Part depends on how much you want/need as a teacher. You don't get much from VP (as a teacher), but that is reflected in the lower price.

Hi :) I'm thinking of getting the VP cards strictly for memorization! They look great!