Menu

Lyrical Life Science is fabulous! There are three volumes. Each puts scientific terminology to well known 'old' tunes. Grammar Songs. Multiplication Songs. Books on CD work well, too. HTH! You know, you can also have, *gasp* , discussions with your kids on what you've already learned or want to learn! :D

I have this list saved for carschooling resources.

Geography

*Geography Songs by Troxel. There's also an mp3 download available

*Lyrical Earth Science Volume 1

Science

*Singing Science Records This is a free resource

*Singing Science Records Volumes 1, 2 &3 )

*Schoolhouse rock – Science rock

History

*Gombrich's A Little History of the World CD

*The Story of the World volumes on CD

*The CDs from Classical Conversations

*Veritas Press History Cards and CDs

History –Audio resources for Logic Ancients

* Egyptian Gods and Pharaohs by Robert Swindells

* Egyptian Treasures: Mummies and Myths by Jim Weiss

* The Golden Goblet by Eloise Jarvis McGraw

* The golden fleece and the heroes who lived before Achilles by Padraic Colum (cd on order)

* Atticus the Storyteller by Lucy Coats

* Greek Myths by Geraldine McCaughrean (CD in blue folder)

* Tales of the Greek Heroes by Roger Lancelyn Green (optional extra)

* The Children’s Homer by Padraic Colum

* Tales from the Odyssey by Rosemary Pope Osborne

* Famous Men of Rome by Librivox

* The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare

* Outcast by Rosemary Sutcliff

* Julius Ceasar (Tales from Shakespeare) by Lamb

Maths

* http://www.amazon.com/Schoolhouse-Rock-Multiplication-Various-Artists/dp/B0000033XL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280675390&sr=1-1"]Schoolhouse rock – Multiplication rock

Music Appreciation

*Classical music selections from our composer of the month list

*Classical Kids Collection (Beethoven Lives Upstairs and others)

*Themes to Remember

*The story of Classical Music by Darren Henley read by Marin Alsop

*Vox Music Masters The Story of... CDs

* Bernstein Children's Classics including Peter and the Wolf, Carnival of the Animals, Britten's Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra.

Poetry

*The Nation’s Favourite Children’s Poems Collection (BBC Radio Collection) narrated by Ronald Pickup, Tim Pigott-Smith, Andrew Sachs and Rosalind Shanks

*Listen and Color: Favorite Poems for Children by Dover and Thea Kliros

*Poetry Speaks to Children by Elise Paschen, Dominique Raccah, Nikki Giovanni, and X.J. Kennedy

*Developing Linguistic Patterns Through Poetry Memorization (from Excellence in Writing)

*A Child's Introduction to Poetry by Michael Driscoll and Meredith Hamilton

Grammar

*Grammar Songs by Troxel

*Schoolhouse rock - Grammar rock

*First Language Lessons Audio Copmanion

Literature

*Free audiobooks from Librivox.com or Storynory.com

*Audiobooks for Sonlight 3

* Audible.com

Myths and Legends

*King Arthur read by Sean Bean (Naxos)

*The Iliad read by Derek Jacobi (Naxos)

*The Aeneid read by Simon Callow (Naxos)

*D'Aulaire's Greek Myths on CD

Shakespeare

*Stories from Shakespeare (BBC Radio Collection) by Geraldine McCaughrean

Phonics

*Letterland CD’s

Foreign Language:

* Prima Latina CD (Memoria Press)

* Lingua Angelica CDs

Our entire life is on the go. I often feel like this: :willy_nilly:

For us, car schooling just means bringing along a clipboard and working on what we can while driving. Usually math.

Since I got my Nook he's been begging to read 50 Famous Stories Retold to me (it started off because he wanted to use my Nook, but then he realized the stories are great!). So that's a car-only activity. He reads them aloud to me and then we discuss.

He'll also do his memory scripture and Hebrew flashcards in the car.

And then he reads. A lot.

We discuss things as they come up. He's a big question-asker, so we have some great discussions.

Everything that we can't get done in the car (history/science depending on the day & what is planned, copywork because I don't want the car movement affecting his writing, etc) just gets done later or sometimes just doesn't get done that day.

Because we are on the go a lot and we have to stay flexible, our school schedule is flexible. I plan on doing school 5 days a week, knowing we will only get in 3 or 4 full days. But then we also school year round, so I know we come out ahead in the end.

If you are just curious about the occasional doctor appointments and stuff, just bring what can be done in the car and schedule the rest for later in the day/week.

each week we drive to a nearby town on tuesday and thursday (almost an hour round trip) and i want to incorporate something. i was thinking i'd reinforce what we learned monday and wednesday in spanish and music during the drives the following days. this is all dependent on getting a working cd player though. i sometimes 'drill' them about memory work or just listen to music...it could be a helpful scheduled 'break' when everyone is strapped in. :tongue_smilie:

i'm all :bigear:s because i'm new to this too.

We don't do anything formal, like listening to books or reading (Indy gets sick trying to read int he car) , we just go over things we've been learning. I'll quiz him on his spelling, talk about what we're studying in history, go over his Latin vocabulary, or I'll give him math problems to do in his head. We get a lot done in the car. I never thought of it as "carschooling" though.

short trips--on the way to gym class, etc. --workbook activity for spelling or math (repetitive exercise that helps child learn material, needs to get done, but requires no teacher input). Jim Weiss stories, audio that includes chants, songs or rap that goes along with curriculum.

Long trips--an hour or more--books on audio

Story of the World

A Little History of the World

Story of Mankind

Historical novels related to history period.

Madlibs are fun and useful for grammar.

I don't know if this is what you are looking for or not, but Christian Light Education (CLE), ACE (school of tomorrow) and other similar programs are very easy to take along and do in the car. My kids loved the programs, learned well, and it was very portable for our ever changing lives.

Hm, well, my daughter's in fifth grade and we don't do any formal school in the car. If we're not going to be home like we're going on a field trip for the day, the field trip is school for the most part. We might get up a little early to get one or two things done beforehand. We might get one or two other things done at home when we get back. The rest either gets consolidated, skipped, or tacked onto the next day's schedule. It always works out.

The most we do in the car is talk about stuff, or she might play a game on her Nintendo DS (she actually DOES have some educational ones lol), or listen to an audiobook/bring a regular book along.

My kids are 5th and 6th and we do a pretty rigorous schedule. We also do a ton of activities and field trips. Therefore, we have to car school often.

Usually, they do their independent reading assignments in the car and occasionally math. The big bonus here is if they are reading/working, then they can't be "touching" orotherwise annoying each other.

We often have an audio book in the car to listen to if everyone is done w/independent work and on weekends (currently Little Women) .

We also like Themes to Remember, Geography and Science Songs, IEW poetry memory CD, Story of the World CDs, Spanish Songs, etc.

Has anyone mentioned the Jim Weiss cd's??? They're awesome. I put them on the ipod and play them in the car.

The kids are almost 8, but they also love listening to the audio of Magic Treehouse. Just yesterday we all listened to High Tide in Hawaii -- about tsunamis. YIKES.

I also put music on my ipod that's not gross. . . like John Denver. Yesterday we listened to Rocky Mountain High and Take Me Home Country Roads -- it's fun to listen to music that doesn't make you cringe when kids are in the car! :lol:

We also listen to Song Book Latin in the car.

THIS IS A GREAT THREAD!

Alley

Here is a link to a CD called Science Songs on iTunes. I'm listening to samples. The first one about butterflies is a little rappy.

Aha! I found Space Songs, and it's available on Amazon as a download, too. I'm going to guess that these songs are still under copyright, and that's why they had to be taken down. Bummer. But, maybe someone is working on making them available as downloads.

Just as an FYI, this link is no longer active. I've been Googling, but have been unable to find them anywhere else.

My apologies for not checking the links before posting.

The cover of the space songs on Amazon is the same as the ones that were previously at the link.

You can also listen to the Tom Glazer songs (and more) here, but I don't see anywhere to download.

ETA: A google of "Tom Glazer Energy and Motion songs" shows up a lot of places to download, but I don't know how legitimate any of these are.

Edited by Hannah

Thank you all so much, this is an amazingly helpful thread!

Talking about things doesn't work well with him in the back of the van where I can't really hear him, esp. with two little girls trying to talk over him! lol

But I've gotten some great ideas here, keep 'em coming!

My dd brings her regular schoolwork along with her when we are on the go. She sits in the back and asks questions if she needs help but I leave most of the things she might really need help on for when we are home.

She does her writing assignments, reading, and math problem solving work in the car. She reads her history or science to me or colors projects.

We listen to foreign language CDs or she uses the time to listen to her classical music CDs.

Anything that doesn't involve scissors or too much mess project-wise she can bring along. I have a small caddy that fits a good deal of stuff and before we leave I fill it with what she needs to get done.

We spend a significant amount of time in the car, running into town several days a week and boy do I WISH DD could do some school during that time. Car sickness makes it impossible for her to even read for 5 minutes while driving. She still even brings a book and tries sometimes because she WANTS to read, but alas, it never works. Headache and nausea follow. But some of these audio ideas have never occured to me. I'm going to look in to it.