Menu

M's in the field

I know some of you might be in sensitive areas, which is why I only put M. Hopefully, you understand what I mean.

Anyway, my question is this: who in the Hive are M's? (I don't mean "Moms", btw! :) )

When did you first know? And how did you prepare?

Hopefully this will make sense to someone! ;)

Something to do w/ military?

M*ss**n*r***?

That second thing you wrote, but could you go back and edit your post? The OP's point was that in some countries that word is taboo to the powers that be and she wanted input from those people without potentially exposing them.

Somebody needs to PM me, because I cannot for the life of me figure out what "M" means. And if you know, and you don't take twenty seconds out of your day to PM me, I'm going to lose sleep over this, and it will be all your fault. :lol:

ETA: Okay wait you guys can stop PMing me now. Ack, my PM box is nearly full... must go empty... lol... (and thank you to all who responded!)

Edited by NanceXToo

Why the cloak and daggers? It is missionaries.

Bill

Because, to quote YOU:

It potentially puts peoples lives in jeopardy.

???

I would assume that someone who works as a missionary in a place where they risk harm if they admit it isn't going to announce that fact on a public message board.

But who knows who posters really are on the internet? OP included.

Someone could unwittingly give out sensitive info.

My dh went through seminary, and took a class on missions..and the materials for that class were essentially confidential. This is similar to military not being able to discuss the dates and locations of flights. kwim.

You are probably better off taking your questions to your local church.

Wow, what happened to this thread? I'm an M and there is no danger in my area in saying so. :) I don't mind answering your questions and I don't think there is anything wrong in asking them.

When did I first know? I always had it in my heart to be a missionary and I put it off for about a decade past when I should have been one.

How did I prepare? I went on a short term trip first to get the feel of how things worked. 3.5 months later I moved full time.

I've never been happier in my life. :) (despite the fact that I wish clean water were a bit easier to come by here lol)

I know how everyone in my faith prepares. They go into the ministry full-time in their native country. They attend a missionary school that focuses on Biblical knowledge. They are shipped off to the new country and learn the language by immersion (they might already know 3 languages and be sent to an area where no one speaks any of them):tongue_smilie:. I am not sure how much cultural preparation there is, but there can't be that much because they find out where they are assigned at their graduation.