Menu

Suggestions for co-op Chemistry 2nd-3rd graders

What materials/curriculum do you recommend for a 12 week Chemistry Co-op class that I will be teaching for 2nd-3rd graders? I was looking at Real Science for Kids Chemistry pre-level 1. But I know the parents will not want to have to buy the student text and workbook. Could this still be used? The website doesn't have any sample pages. :confused:

I have not seen very many programs for the younger elementary group for Chemistry. Our co-op class is only one hour long each Friday. I saw a experiment book at Barnes and Noble that was for this age and I thought I could make up my own thing by adding in some library books and review games. But of course something already done for me would be even better!! Oh Jessica at Trivium academy I sure did love using your Earth Science lesson plans last year for the class I taught at our co-op last year!! :D Thanks so much for sharing! Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you very much!!

Get one of the "Adventures with Atoms and Molecules" books and pick one or two for each week.

It is too bad that RS4K is not an option, but maybe you could just buy it to use as teaching material for yourself--one copy only, included in the price of the class. It would probably be a good spine.

Another approach that I would consider is using the book "Awesome Ocean Science"--most of the experiments in that book could double as marine science AND solution chemistry, and they are easy and 'wow'-ish. For the age group you are considering, I think that this would be a very engaging way to introduce them to some chemistry.

Wow, that's wonderful that it worked out! I would go with kitchen chemistry for that age, it provides double exposure- to good eating habits and everyday chemistry. Janice VanCleave's Food and Nutrition book is about kitchen chemistry, another great kitchen chemistry book is Munch, Crunch and Magic School Bus Gets Baked in a Cake. If these are classical kids, they'll have chemistry in greater depth two more times, this is approach would be the most effective for this age group, imho.

Steve Spangler's web site and Aurora Lipper's web site. Both have lots of experiments, often with video so you can see how it is actually done.

I used several when I taught Hands-On Science for 1st through 3rd grade at our co-op last year. The class was such a hit I am repeating next year. Particular favorites were finding the iron in cereal (Spangler's web site and others), "Kitchen Chemistry" where we made curds and whey and ice cream, Goop (such a favorite that we repeated for our year-end party), and this silly little reaction experiment where you put an Alka-Seltzer tablet into a film canister with water and watch it explode (we did that one outside).

Have fun!