Menu

English Riding questions

Dd8 loves horses. She has expressed a lot of interest in horse back riding but up until this point has only ever ridden a small handfull of times (western style). Today I found out there is an equestrian center just a few miles away. They train in the English style.

So I have a few questions before I talk with them.

Aside from the horse, is this an expensive sport to be involved it? I want this to a long term activity for her is she wants, so I would like to know the long term financial commitment.

Is it good exercise for the child?

Is this a sport for kids with rich parents? LOL I know that sounds silly but I am curious about the "airs" that stereotypically exist when english riding is portrayed in the media.

Any other tips or "must know" information you can pass on would be great.

Aside from the horse,

is this an expensive sport to be involved it?--this is a VERY expensive sport to be involved in, especially if your daughter is going to be taking a long term interest in it

I want this to a long term activity for her is she wants, so I would like to know the long term financial commitment.--that is up to you of course. She can take one lesson a week and take ages to advance or she can take more than one, she can lease a horse, she can have her own horse...each of these things are expensive

Is it good exercise for the child?--it is good exercise but there are better ways to get their excercise

Is this a sport for kids with rich parents?--from my experience (my daughter rides English) there are many, many kids with rich parents, but there are others (like us but we are in the minority) that don't have alot of money

LOL I know that sounds silly but I am curious about the "airs" that stereotypically exist when english riding is portrayed in the media.--in our area, the stereotypes that you hear about are very real, snotty girls, girls who are rude to their parents and rough on their horses....but that doesn't have to be the way it is in your case. My daughter knows that if she were ever to show any kind of anger toward her horse at the barn, in her lessons or at a show, she will be yanked off so fast and be punished in a big way. She has learned to respect her horse because of that rule.

Any other tips or "must know" information you can pass on would be great.

There is so much good to say about this sport. Even though it is incredibly expensive it is so worth it. I can't tell you what having to take care of a living creature has taught my daughter. I am so grateful that we are able (on my very limited income) to have what we have. The Lord has and continues to bless us in this sport. If your daughter has the desire, nuture her in it and do whatever you need to do to help her. There are so many things to take into consideration when looking for a lesson barn. Do your homework before you leave the house!

Edited by Journey

This is the ultimate IT DEPENDS.

Horses can be very expensive. From $20/week for lessons up to $500+ per month for a trainer plus $$$ for the horse, and $$$ for boarding, etc. and on and on.

It can be very good exercise, esp. for core strength. Good lessons would also include grooming and tacking the horse, cleaning their feet, etc. Add in scooping poop, haying hay, etc. and you can get some good exercise.

Riding can span the entire spectrum from the working class to those that spend more money on a horse trailer than most people do on their homes. A great deal will depend on where you child rides and if they show 4H and other local "open" shows or if they want to show on the circuit (meaning $$$$ most times).

English clothes can be cheaper than western as the fashions don't change so you can often get nice clothes and boots used. I think I paid $30 complete for my daughter's outfit--including boots, but you can also spend $500 on just a jacket as well.

If you want to encourage learning, etc. you might want to look into a 4H group. This means free weekly group lessons and often more an environment focused on learning and fun (and safety) over "winning" at the shows.

My daughters both show horses on a VERY low level--4H, open shows, etc. They wear used show clothes that we pick up at tack sales for a song. They ride older, safe horses that are great for them but not "show" horses. We pay a 4H leader for private riding lessons instead of hiring a private trainer, etc. Our horses are in our back yard, not at a show barn, etc.

All that to say that horses and riding can be great and you can do it for a lot less depending on what level you want to get involved in. Our 4H leader will lease a horse for the summer that has a lots of experience and given lessons for quite a reasonable fee. You will get a nice, safe horse for your child to learn on.......they might not place at the high level shows but it is a good option to explore riding.

For the most part, the expenses will be determined by what level of showing she wants to do and how many lessons per week you want to supply (as well as whether you want to buy a horse/pony or not).

In our area there are both wealthy and not wealthy kids participating.

Are horses expensive? I spat out my soda on the monitor. :lol:

But as a horse lover and and English rider, it is worth it. You figure out real fast if this is where your slush money goes or not - because you'll be spending a lot of it on horses and related stuff.

When I was a kid I worked at our show barn two nights a week feeding and watering. I got one lesson free and paid for the other. And I got to ride the show horses which belonged to the (rich) kids, instead of the lesson horses, because we were poor and could not afford to buy a horse let alone the boarding fees. It was hard work, especially in the Ohio winters, but I loved every second of it.

Both of my older dds take English riding lessons. My oldest did one show last year but the facility we ride at provided her with the horse and apparel and the fee was less than 200.00. She wasn't impressed with the whole show thing and the younger one isn't interested in doing shows either so we don't have to worry about leasing fees, apparel, or entry fees.

They just like doing their one or two lessons a week and enjoy working at the facility. They have gotten a lot of exposure to training, learn a lot watching the vet and farrier in action and get some great exercise doing some hard physical labor. The owner let them both ride his very expensive Grand Prix champion a couple weeks ago while they were there working so they like those little perks.

Private lesson, which our barn requires for the first couple of months, run us $240 a month for one 30 minute lesson a week. Once they reach a certain level of ability they can move to a group lesson which runs $150 a month for one 60 minute lesson a week. We pick up the occasional extra private lesson a week for $60. Our barn is great though as the trainers will often let the girls take a 20-30 minute trail ride after their lesson (no charge:tongue_smilie:).

Our barn provides all the tack so we only had to purchase apparel. I suppose it could depend on your location and what your barn requires but our barn only requires riding boots and a helmet. I purchase half chaps and riding pants too though as I feel they really are a necessity for comfort. You should be able to get a good pair of low riding boots for about $40-$80, a good helmet for about $60-$100, riding pants for $30-$70, and half-chaps for $20-$50. I also bought each of my girls their own grooming equipment as Christmas presents. I got them each an Oster set that was about $40 on sale.

We have had no issues with snooty people at all. Everyone at our facility is very nice and friendly. There are girls that my dds take lessons with that are very into the competitions and are very wealthy but have never been snotty or rude to my girls. They all encourage each other when they have a bad jump and give kudos when someone does a great course. On the days that my girls work at the barn they have had owners who board and train their (very expensive) horses there and they have let the girls groom and fuss over their horses. Several have let the girls ride their horses around in the indoor ring. Everyone (owners, other riders and trainers) are always willing to show my girls things or answer their questions. I know we are probably extremely lucky to have such a great facility but I'm sure there are others out there like it.

Don't know if that is any help to you at all since my experience is limited to this one facility but there it is anyway.:tongue_smilie:

It was hard work, especially in the Ohio winters, but I loved every second of it.

This is a part of having horses/riding that I think is important. The kids need to know about caring for horses and the WORK involved. I don't like the "hop on and ride" type places.

Our 4H leader/riding instructor even has her lesson kids help with chores after their lessons. They help feed, put out hay, put away tack, scoop some poop, etc. My friend did that for my girls when we were there too. They might have to clean the stall of the horse they rode, fill water buckets, brush horses, help with hay/grain, etc.

I have our horses here at home now and I figure $125/month per horse in general. Some months it is cheaper--like a month where they are on pasture, eating only a tiny bit of hay and no special visits. Other months are more money--when they are on hay full time, the farrier comes out, and the vet or dentist is due. Over all it works out fairly close to this amount over the year.

Thank you for the input. I found an instructor today that I think we will be going with. She does private lessons for a very reasonable price as well as group lessons. Plus she has all the horses and tack so we will not have to worry about that until we know for sure this is what dd wants. Dd will have the option of choosing her riding style, although the instructor prefers Western. I talked with the instructor for quite a while and I really liked her. She is very to the point, strongly belives in teaching them the proper care of horses and was very enthusiastic.

Dd is now counting the days until her first lesson. :)

Sounds great. Just make sure that she wears a properly fitted helmet (with straps tightened) and boots with a heel when riding and even working around the horses. Some lesson places have you buy your own helmet, others let you borrow theirs. In our family, helmets are a NON negotiable item. No helmet, no ride.

DD10 would like riding lessons - she had a handful last summer. We're looking for a new place because the old one is much too far away. I came across three different outfits that work out of the same large farm center. The least expensive option says the following on their website:

Initially beginner students receive private lessons on a lounge line (see description below *) in a Western saddle without the use of stirrups or reins. This is one of the harder ways to learn to ride yet we feel it is the most effective way to establish a new riders center of balance and how their body should move with the rhythm of the horse. Once a student has developed their balance/seat additional tasks (use of reins and stirrups) are introduced that will allow the student to progress towards group lessons where they will continue to develop their riding skill set in the fun group environment.

DD's earlier lessons were English. What do y'all think of this western-in-the-beginning plan? I don't know what to think. At some point I need to email them to ask questions. Don't mean to hijack, but I'd love some thoughts. I know nothing!

I rode Western in the beginning and then switched to English for a while. Just riding English over Western is not going to cost more (unless your DD wants the clothing to go along with it), but if you intend for your DD to do jumping, dressage, etc., it can get pricey.

As far as I know, Western is typically taught before English as a Western saddle is safer.

English does provide better exercise than Western as the rider really needs to grip the horse with their thighs to stay on. Posting also provides better leg and core strengthening.

I rode Western in the beginning and then switched to English for a while. Just riding English over Western is not going to cost more (unless your DD wants the clothing to go along with it), but if you intend for your DD to do jumping, dressage, etc., it can get pricey.

As far as I know, Western is typically taught before English as a Western saddle is safer.

English does provide better exercise than Western as the rider really needs to grip the horse with their thighs to stay on. Posting also provides better leg and core strengthening.

Thank you!! OK, so then it does make sense to do Western first and then English? That's helpful. I wonder how long it is - or should be - before the switch is made. (FWIW, I'm not sure the western has anything to do with it being cheaper - it's just a different business - I'm trying to decide whether it'd be rude to ask why it's less - I think it's around 40/hr compared to the other places that are 60+/hr, though I need to clarify)

DD10 would like riding lessons - she had a handful last summer. We're looking for a new place because the old one is much too far away. I came across three different outfits that work out of the same large farm center. The least expensive option says the following on their website:

DD's earlier lessons were English. What do y'all think of this western-in-the-beginning plan? I don't know what to think. At some point I need to email them to ask questions. Don't mean to hijack, but I'd love some thoughts. I know nothing!

That is a smart trainer!!!! She is teaching a classical seat, which is important whether you ride Western/English. Think of it in regards to classical education, she's getting a good grammar level education ;)

That is a smart trainer!!!! She is teaching a classical seat, which is important whether you ride Western/English. Think of it in regards to classical education, she's getting a good grammar level education ;)

Thank you Simka!!!! This is super helpful. DD10 has a history of sensory issues, low muscle tone, etc. and that's a major reason I'd like for her to move forward with riding - your perspective fits perfectly into my plan :). Fortunately dd has been asking for it.

I still have to email them, but I suppose she'll need western boots, though her English ones from last summer I'm sure are too small anyway. I wonder if there are western riding pants....different gloves.... off to google...

Anyone with boys who ride? It seems to be more of a girly sport, though I don't know why - it's plenty dirty. I made my boys (now 8 y.o.) take riding lessons with their sister last summer for the same purpose as dd, brain and muscle development. They don't want to do it anymore, I think because they didn't see other boys there, but I'm contemplating making them do it along with dd, just for the initial 6 lesson package or something. Riding x3 makes it expensive, but if the boys were only doing it temporarily that's not so bad...

Anyone with boys who ride? It seems to be more of a girly sport, though I don't know why - it's plenty dirty. I made my boys (now 8 y.o.) take riding lessons with their sister last summer for the same purpose as dd, brain and muscle development. They don't want to do it anymore, I think because they didn't see other boys there, but I'm contemplating making them do it along with dd, just for the initial 6 lesson package or something. Riding x3 makes it expensive, but if the boys were only doing it temporarily that's not so bad...

Me! Me! I have a boy who rides (English lessons, western on vacation). I'd love to see more boys riding. We have been to several different barns and always ride on vacation and we encounter very few boys. He is the only boy in his 4h horse club (in his 4h dog club there are several). Ds has been given quite a few experiences with other sports, but he says over and over again that he prefers riding.

His current instructor is so happy to have a boy riding at her farm. Both of her sons went pretty far on the show circut, so they were good riders. We switched to this stable last year. It's a long story, but basically we were getting a great deal at our old stable b/c we have a relative who knows the trainer very well and used to take her riding in her 4h days. We had to leave that barn b/c it was so focused on showing. They have only two lesson ponies and once the kids move beyond them in ability they are pretty much expected to buy their own horse and board it there at over $600 a month--or lease at around $400-500. Lessons and show costs are extra. Umm, no we can't afford either.

So yes it can be expensive, but there are still ways to learn to ride and enjoy horses without getting into big money. In fact, showing, which is where the $$$ come into play, sometimes can become quite a grind and cause kids to forget why they began riding in the first place. I know several girls who dropped riding altogether b/c all they knew was showing.

I learned how to ride b/c a relative owned 3 horses and needed someone to ride with him. We spent many hours trail riding for many years until he became too old to continue. Those rides were absolutely one of the highlights of my life. We spent entire days in the saddle, crossing streams, jumping logs, stopping to pick berries. Those days were quite simply bliss. It was a sad day when they became a thing of the past. I soo wish I could provide my kids with the same experience. But we have to settle for what we can do. Two of my great uncle's horses are still living and my kids have the advantage of being able to get in some practice on them, though they are of limited use now b/c of age (in their 30s). One is the pony in my avatar with my daughter.

I like the fact that our new barn has a 4H club too and we can participate in trail rides, field trips, and games on horseback. Even though her sons travelled the showing circut, the trainer there is more focused on fun and less on the high pressure of showing. She remembers the fun of her 4h days. She also wants the parents to have some appreciation for horses and riding and has started lessons for parents at a steep discount ($25 for an hour group lesson) so I have been able to ride again too.

I strongly suggest you investigate all of the options for riding in your area, including 4h. Talk to all of the instructors you can and see what they might be willing to do for you. Our current instructor gives me a discount b/c I have 2 riding. There are benefits to having all of your kids learn to ride. For me it makes life easier as far as scheduling kids activities, and it is a beautiful thing to see my son and daughter riding together and talking and laughing at the end of a lesson as they cool down their horses. It means one lesson time in one location vs two different activities or interests at different times and locations. And on family vacations we can all enjoy a trail ride b/c we all have a certain skill level.

I'm wondering if maybe your boys need to do some kind of games on horseback, or trail riding (suited to their ability level) so they can see how much fun riding can be. If their lessons consist of going round and round a ring, they can become very boring--especially when you are a beginner. I like an instructor that makes up little games to practice steering like obstacle courses with cones or barrels, moving rings from one post to another, etc.

You know at one time boys dominated the sport. My great uncle remembers his early years as a 4h horse club leader (in the 1950s? I think) and says that most of the members were boys. Many of the top riders are men, and they had to start somewhere. In the history of riding girls and women are a recent arrival in the sport. I'm not trying to be sexist here, and I'm certainly thankful that girls have the opportunities to ride, but I think it is sad to see that boys of today are not continuing the tradition of a love of horses and riding. Knowing how to ride was once considered the mark of a gentleman, and so much of history has depended on men who knew how to handle a horse. So, in a way I see having some riding experience as part of education. Even if your boys don't continue to ride, at least they will have some knowledge of it and maybe be able to do some trail rides with you and your daughter.

Here are two well known quotes that are favorites of ours, both by men who loved horses....

A canter is a cure for every evil. ~Benjamin Disraeli - This is so true, when you take off at a good canter everything else just sort of slips away!

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~Winston Churchill

This has gotten quite long, and I've gotten carried away, sorry. It's a subject I could go on and on about, and I would love to see more boys riding. Our family wishes you well as you begin your adventure with riding!

Shannon

PS - I attached photos of Ds riding at yesterday's lesson--proof that boys really do ride!:D He's working on his jumping position. Click on the thumbnails below for a closer look.

post-2427-13535084662011_thumb.jpg

post-2427-13535084662011_thumb.jpg

My boy used to ride for a year when he was 8yo. He would like to go back, but I don't think it will happen. He was indeed the only boy in his class, but we could see a few men around the place who were riders. When he left, another boy was also starting.

As for how he learned, he was riding English right from the start, no stirrups and no reins. I have never seen any other form of beginning riding. I learned the same way too, eons ago. (yeah, I'm so old I can practically tell you how the Earth was created :D )

Thank you!! OK, so then it does make sense to do Western first and then English? That's helpful. I wonder how long it is - or should be - before the switch is made. (FWIW, I'm not sure the western has anything to do with it being cheaper - it's just a different business - I'm trying to decide whether it'd be rude to ask why it's less - I think it's around 40/hr compared to the other places that are 60+/hr, though I need to clarify)

The lessons probably cost a bit more before teaching English requires more effort on the part of the instructor. My instructor charged the same for either.

As for how long to ride Western before switching...I honestly do not feel qualified to answer that question. It probably largely depends on the instructor. I made the switch once I felt comfortable in my riding abilities (I could comfortably have the horse walk, trot, cantor, and gallop and was strong enough to stay on even if the horse started bucking), so the rider's comfort level is important.

I would never, ever, ever let my daughter ride without stirrups or reins, on a lunge line when she was first starting out. What would happen if the horse spooked? Would she know what to do with herself? I don't think she would. A trainer that my daughter had once wanted to do that and we never went back (and I've been involved with horses for many years). I also don't think it's a good idea to start out learning Western and then maybe switching to English. They are very different styles and sometimes it's hard to switch from one to the other. Let your daughter research both and figure out what sytle she likes the best. My daughter rides English and wouldn't ever go Western! I know Western riders who would never go English. It is such a preference and one that should be figured out before you go spending alot of money.

I would never, ever, ever let my daughter ride without stirrups or reins, on a lunge line when she was first starting out. What would happen if the horse spooked? Would she know what to do with herself? I don't think she would. A trainer that my daughter had once wanted to do that and we never went back (and I've been involved with horses for many years). I also don't think it's a good idea to start out learning Western and then maybe switching to English. They are very different styles and sometimes it's hard to switch from one to the other. Let your daughter research both and figure out what sytle she likes the best. My daughter rides English and wouldn't ever go Western! I know Western riders who would never go English. It is such a preference and one that should be figured out before you go spending alot of money.

:iagree:With most of the post above, especially about the riding with no stirrups or reins. Those are exercises for more advanced riders to perfect their balance--and usually without one at a time, not both. I also agree that the idea of starting western is a strange one. I've never heard of it. IMO it would be easier to go from English to western than the other way around.

I'm going to add that there are lots of small farms offering lessons with very inexperienced teachers who at times have questionable judgment. We went to watch DD's friend ride at such a place and, against my better judgment, I allowed my DD (7 at the time)to ride too. She was put on an ex race horse who had very little retraining and would not allow anyone to steer him in any way. I could actually see the resentment in the look on his face every time my daughter tried to shorten her reins (and we are not talking about so short she was pulling on him, just short enough to have light contact). The 'instructor' was busy actually moving another riled up horse through the ring and into an adjoining pasture. I knew it was not a safe situation. Before I could ask for my daughter to get off the horse had had enough and bucked her off. She got quite a scare and it took her a long time to recover. Had I just watched the lesson with DD, we would have known it was not a safe environment and not an experienced instructor with good sense. To make matters worse, she blamed my DD saying that she just needed to learn to ride better and then she wouldn't fall off. DD's friend got on the horse and proceeded to let him wander around doing whatever he wanted, but it still looked like an accident waiting to happen--especially with the horse in the next pen cantering round and round calling to his horse friends. Lesson learned. Before taking a lesson at a new barn, visit and watch first.

Shannon

ETA: As a contrast, with our current trainer, DS (12) was put on an ex-race horse who has had several years of re-training, but still needs work. His trainer was by his side telling him what to do with the horse the entire time. The horse was a challenge for Ds to ride, and fast, but Ds learned a lot. Completely different, and much safer approach.

Edited by shanvan

We all bring different perspectives. My trainer was a Grand Prix champion and a Junior Olympian. She had me starting from the very beginning without stirrups and quite often without reins(granted this should be in a quiet arena on a shorter than average lunge line. She also, chose to start younger riders in a western saddle as it did encase them a bit better.

Also, there are many riders who compete in a variety of disciplines. Right now dd10 rides dressage, western pleasure, hunter over fences, and saddle seat.

A dressage seat, or classic seat, can be accomplished in any saddle. Once that framework is in place it is vey easy to adjust hip angles and leg contact, as well as spine, head and hand position, to the various disciplines.

Edited to add: the western saddle has a horn on it. If a horse spooks a very inexperienced rider is going to be safer without stirrups, but with a horn to hold on to. When falling off a horse, getting a foot caught is a trainer's worst nightmare (even with heels). An inexperienced rider will also jerk the reins up and cause the bit to yank hard in the horse mouth. By giving the reins ie. lunge line, to the trainer you have a more advanced person controlling that part of the horses equipment.

Edited by simka2

Yes, very expensive.

Exercise. . . well, it's more than nothing, but not as intense as most sports in which you are on your feet.

I rode English style, mostly eventing (dressage, jumping, x-country jumping). It was great fun and a very healthy activity. Back in the 80s it was mostly rich kids. Today, I'd imagine even more so. Horses are just very expensive. English style typically is more exclusivel rich folks, whereas I think there is more of a mix who ride Western.

I think you can learn to ride safely w/ or w/o sadde, stirrups, etc. A good helmet and a good HORSE are the most important safety matters. A good teacher is also vital. Stirrups and reins are not going to make a novice any safer IMHO. . . A novice will likely misuse them & might get into bigger trouble. (In fact, getting your foot stuck in a stirrup is a factor in some very serious accidents. . . getting tossed clean off is much safer than getting tangled up in your stirrups)

FWIW, no stirrups & no reins, on a lunge line with a good teacher and good horse sounds like an IDEAL learning set up IMHO. ;) Just goes to show the range of opinions. . . FWIW, no beginner could handle or solve a horse really spooking. . . The best possible outcome would be a quick fall to the ground. Big whoops. It's gonna happen. Falls are part of the sport. That's why you need a good helmet. ;)

I loved riding. I mostly loved my horse. If it were financially feasible, I'd love to give that pleasure to my kids. In fact, I'd love to enjoy it myself as well. However, we don't have time or money to do everything. . . and we have chosen music, vacations, and homeschooling. . . over horses and over other things.

Back in the 80's I think my mom budgeted $400/mo just in boarding and basic fees for my horse. Not including lessons, major equipment purchases, competitions, vet bills. . . I'd imagine she spent easily 6000+ each year. Maybe more like 8000. I can't imagine doing it now for less than 10k/yr (assuming horse ownership and paid full boarding at a stable).

ETA: I checked and it looks like comparable boarding fees alone are around 700/mo where I grew up. So, easily 12k+ a year in total expenses. Wowsers.

So, we stick with dogs and cats and goats. . . and keep our $$ for other things like music and non-catastrophically expensive sports. :)

Edited by StephanieZ

Horses can be very expensive but you can also enjoy them on a much more limited budget. Our 4H leader gives lessons for $20/hour and sometimes offers discounts if the child does chores, cleans stalls, etc. That is very comparable to music, art, sports, etc.

Other than a riding helmet which I feel needs to be a newer model that fits very well, most things can be bought used. I can pick up used riding boots for $5-10, pants for $5-10, complete show outfits for $20-40. These things might not be the top of the line, most fashionable things out there but very serviceable and my daughter placed at local shows wearing her used show clothes. Just check out Craig's list and call your local 4H program for ideas on where to get stuff used.

We do shows where our riding instructor will let us use her horses for $5/class and we pay $3/class to show so for $8/class my kids get the fun of showing. We do have our own horses now so it is just $3/class to show---and spectators are free so cheaper than sports where you have to pay to come and watch your kid.

Now, you CAN get into much higher level stuff than we do and spend $500 for a show shirt, $2500 for a show saddle, etc. but I think the same holds true in any activity---traveling soccer teams are much more expensive than your local rec league team, etc.

As to starting out English or Western, both have their merrits and it depends on what your goals are. Safety should be first----lessons taught with an experienced instructor using a "school master" horse (one that is usually older and only goes as fast as the rider can handle, is very experienced with beginning riders, etc).

As to boys riding, what about a place that teaches trail riding (yes, there is skill involved in "just" riding down the trails), endurance riding, speed events, roping or team penning (working cows), etc. LOTS of riding styles that might appeal more to boys. You can't start there, but they can be a lot of fun as well.

Thank you very much, ladies, for sharing your perspectives and opinions on beginning riding!!! I really appreciate it - all very helpful. We haven't made any decisions yet.

As for the boys, we'll see ;). I don't think they're interested right now, but maybe they'll change their minds once they watch their sister. And yes, this place does trail rides, so maybe there will be boys. :)

I think it's awesome to see how many horse people are here.

My kids are on their third weekly lesson and DD has fallen in love. DS is worried he isn't doing things "right" enough but when he relaxes, he'll be ok.

I was very into thoroughbreds as a girl (lived across the street from a farm where I spent every waking moment for YEARS) and it has been incredible watching my kids fall in love too.

DS has one other boy in his class so we're lucky.

The barn is thinking about stopping lessons during the summer because of all the shows. I hope they don't but a local horse rescue place around here is going to offer summer lessons. So either way, we'll figure it out.

And in a year or two, we'll start looking for our own horses.

The barn is thinking about stopping lessons during the summer because of all the shows. I hope they don't but a local horse rescue place around here is going to offer summer lessons. So either way, we'll figure it out.

And in a year or two, we'll start looking for our own horses.

Just a word of warning. Be careful taking lessons at a rescue. Some of the rescued horses have some pretty severe behavioral issues and/or lack the training and experience needed to be safe lesson horses for kids/beginners. Some of them might be older horses that just need extra care that would be great for kids but often rescues don't know a great deal about the horses that come in. If you go this way, make sure to ask lots of questions about the horses, their experience, how well they know them, etc.

Another place to check is with the local 4H groups. Very often the leaders there give lessons to kids even if you aren't part of 4H and many of them have great beginner friendly horses and the prices tend to be good as well.

I think you are wise to get a few years experience and then buy horses. They are a LOT of work. I spend about 1-1 1/2 hours a day outside just CARING for the horses--feed, water, scooping poop, etc. and that doesn't include riding.

Ok, that is good then. I know of a few places in our area that offer lessons on some questionable horses. They get various ones in and out quickly but let kids take lessons on them. Certainly not all places are like this but if you don't know anything about horses (and it sounds like you do) you wouldn't know what to look for.

I had even given one horse to a "trainer" to be her own personal horse and not long after he was being used as a therapeutic riding horse but the reason I gave him to her (thinking she was reputable) was due to bucking issues and occ. bolting. Later they SOLD him to a young girl with special needs. I was NOT happy at all as that was never supposed to happen as he was great on the ground but might have had some pain issues or something that caused the bucking/bolting.