Menu

History questions please....

stephanie

I have 4 dc, and we have been doing SL for history. Ds13 has been doing History 3&4 on his own, and I have been doing Sl history 1 with ds9, dd7, and dd6. My problem is that I spend a lot of time doing history with the younger dc that I feel like ds13's history doesn't get as much attention. He read, does his work, and then we talk about what he read, but that's about it. He loves history and chooses history books for his fun reading as well. He's been through the 4 rotations of history so where do I go now? I would like for him to do SL5 which is the study of the Eastern hemisphere, but then I will still feel like he's kind of on his own again. Is this what I should expect at his age? I would like for us to all be on the same level of history, but would that hinder him? The younger dc's will be doing the second part of ancients in SL for the next year. Should he tag along, writing reports and summaries, or continue to do his own thing? I'm just asking b/c he's my eldest, and I'm not sure of the norm here for history. I just really want to feel more involved with his study of history than I'm feeling, but not finding the time to do it with all the other subjects we have! Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I have 4 dc, and we have been doing SL for history. Ds13 has been doing History 3&4 on his own, and I have been doing Sl history 1 with ds9, dd7, and dd6. My problem is that I spend a lot of time doing history with the younger dc that I feel like ds13's history doesn't get as much attention. He read, does his work, and then we talk about what he read, but that's about it.

First I'd suggest having your oldest use a more age-appropriate Core. Core 3+4 is very, very light for a 13 year old student. I can't imagine it requires much of him, and by extension, there's not a lot with which you can be involved. Granted, he should be able to work quite independently at this stage, but you certainly want to interact with him so I understand what you're saying in that regard.

Why do you think Core 1 is requiring so much of your time? I don't find it to be particularly time consuming so I'm not sure if you're supplementing with other activities, or...? Don't get me wrong; I sympathize with you as far as feeling like your oldest is getting the short end of the stick. It's always a challenge to teach multiple children whose ages cover a wide range. It's easy to lose track of the older ones just because they're more self-directed. I think it's a matter of disciplining oneself to set aside time for that student, and making an effort to stay abreast of their studies. A good opportunity to self-educate!:)

He's been through the 4 rotations of history so where do I go now? I would like for him to do SL5 which is the study of the Eastern hemisphere, but then I will still feel like he's kind of on his own again. Is this what I should expect at his age? I would like for us to all be on the same level of history, but would that hinder him? The younger dc's will be doing the second part of ancients in SL for the next year. Should he tag along, writing reports and summaries, or continue to do his own thing?

I'd be more inclined to work at the level of my oldest child and let the youngers tag along, not the other way around. Is there a reason your younger three have to continue on with ancients next year? Core 5 is an excellent year to fold in the whole family. If you go that route, I wouldn't use another Core at all. Then your oldest can both work independently and have your of your attention, since Eastern Hemisphere will be your focal point for the year.

If I were you, though, I'd want my oldest to use a more challenging, appropriate level. Since he loves history, and is on the verge of high school, why not consider one of the upper level Cores? This might be a good year to use Core 200, for example. What are your thoughts on that?

Since he's been through the entire rotation, does he have any particular or specific areas of History which really facsinate him more than others? Could he do some ind. studies in those areas? He might really enjoy Diana Waring's History Alive! for next year. She has an awesome program that we tried to use this year, but it was really a bit over the heads of my youngers. It's perfect, though, for his age. He could do most of it very independently...reading the selections, listening to the CD's...which your youngers could listen to as well if he started w/ Ancients again. Her program is laid out so that she gives a general overview of a civilization or time period and then suggests activities or readings to go along with it, using all 4 styles of learning. Really fun. You could help in choosing the reading material if you wanted. Just a thought.

I would go with Core 5 for next year with him, unless he is going to be in highschool/9th grade. If that's the case then you need to make sure he is getting what he needs for credits.

Alot of us on the SL boards have used SL Core 5 with children as old as 13 or 14. You may have to add more books and require more writing assignments. My suggestion is to ask on SL's forums. I loved Core 5 and would not miss it.

First I'd suggest having your oldest use a more age-appropriate Core. Core 3+4 is very, very light for a 13 year old student. I can't imagine it requires much of him, and by extension, there's not a lot with which you can be involved. Granted, he should be able to work quite independently at this stage, but you certainly want to interact with him so I understand what you're saying in that regard.

Why do you think Core 1 is requiring so much of your time? I don't find it to be particularly time consuming so I'm not sure if you're supplementing with other activities, or...? Don't get me wrong; I sympathize with you as far as feeling like your oldest is getting the short end of the stick. It's always a challenge to teach multiple children whose ages cover a wide range. It's easy to lose track of the older ones just because they're more self-directed. I think it's a matter of disciplining oneself to set aside time for that student, and making an effort to stay abreast of their studies. A good opportunity to self-educate!:)

I'd be more inclined to work at the level of my oldest child and let the youngers tag along, not the other way around. Is there a reason your younger three have to continue on with ancients next year? Core 5 is an excellent year to fold in the whole family. If you go that route, I wouldn't use another Core at all. Then your oldest can both work independently and have your of your attention, since Eastern Hemisphere will be your focal point for the year.

If I were you, though, I'd want my oldest to use a more challenging, appropriate level. Since he loves history, and is on the verge of high school, why not consider one of the upper level Cores? This might be a good year to use Core 200, for example. What are your thoughts on that?

Well, we picked 3/4 because he hadn't had that time period in history yet. In my SL catalog it included his age range for that level. He's also ADHD/SPD so I try not to overwhelm him b/c he gets easily frustrated and discouraged. My younger ones take some time b/c we do projects, extra reading,etc. Thanks for the suggestion for doing 500 with all of them. I'm just wondering if the younger dc will be able to stay engaged? Our read-alouds are always above their grade levels so I'm thinking they would be good, right?

Since he's been through the entire rotation, does he have any particular or specific areas of History which really facsinate him more than others? Could he do some ind. studies in those areas? He might really enjoy Diana Waring's History Alive! for next year. She has an awesome program that we tried to use this year, but it was really a bit over the heads of my youngers. It's perfect, though, for his age. He could do most of it very independently...reading the selections, listening to the CD's...which your youngers could listen to as well if he started w/ Ancients again. Her program is laid out so that she gives a general overview of a civilization or time period and then suggests activities or readings to go along with it, using all 4 styles of learning. Really fun. You could help in choosing the reading material if you wanted. Just a thought.

I thought the same thing, Sue. He loves all parts of history, though. I'm going to check out Diana Waring's. BTW, what did you ever decide for LA for you dc?

I would do Core 5 with everyone..modified for the youngers, of course. There are links to picture books at the top of that core's Sonlight forum and if you search for choirfarm you will find tons of links/activities that I posted to go with the various countries. I never, ever followed a Sonlight IG. EHE would be good for your oldest to do. I would list out the resources by country. Then I would have your oldest do EHE and writing assignments that go with the core. I would do the readalouds. My 4yo at the time LOVED most of them and told her daddy all about them. Find the picture book sticky and use those titles with your younger ones. I would have them notebook the countries/regions. You could easily download things from Enchanted Learning about them and have them do that. That way everyone would be together!!!

Christine