Menu

Would you consider a haircut of 3" drastic?

Twice in the last month my dh has complimented my hair. This has never happened before. As a matter of fact, I believe that I have posted before that when I asked him when in the past he had liked my hair, he said well never really. So the problem? My hair is in serious need of a trim. Split ends like crazy. When I told dh, he said, "don't do anything drastic". So I am wondering how much to get trimmed. I would like to get all the split ends and not have to have it trimmed again for a while. I am thinking about 3". That wouldn't be drastic would it? Getting a haircut makes me a vervous wreck as it is. :001_smile:

Twice in the last month my dh has complimented my hair. This has never happened before. As a matter of fact, I believe that I have posted before that when I asked him when in the past he had liked my hair, he said well never really. So the problem? My hair is in serious need of a trim. Split ends like crazy. When I told dh, he said, "don't do anything drastic". So I am wondering how much to get trimmed. I would like to get all the split ends and not have to have it trimmed again for a while. I am thinking about 3". That wouldn't be drastic would it? Getting a haircut makes me a vervous wreck as it is. :001_smile:

I got a good six inches off today. It's just hair. It will grow back. :001_smile: If 3 inches is enough, take three inches. But you may be able to go shorter if you tell your stylist you want to lose all the dead ends without losing the *illusion* of length.

It looks the same as in my picture only shorter. I was planning on keeping the hair style but going about three inches shorter. My dh generally prefers shorter hair so I think that he would be fine with the length. My orignial plan was to get it cut about 5" shorter and get a curly perm but I am doubting myself. I have a horrible time getting my hair done. I haven't been happy with any of my haircuts or perms in a long time (at least five years) so I am nervous. And now that I have found something he likes I don't want to mess it up.

I don't handle change well so cutting my hair more than a trim freaks me out epsecially since you can't preview it. What if I don't like it? What if hubby doesn't like it? I guess I am not overly concerned about anyone else but, what if we don't like it?

I bet your head feels a ton lighter though and it is probably so much easier to care for. And I assume that you will be posting a picture soon?

I don't handle change well so cutting my hair more than a trim freaks me out epsecially since you can't preview it. What if I don't like it? What if hubby doesn't like it? I guess I am not overly concerned about anyone else but, what if we don't like it?

I bet your head feels a ton lighter though and it is probably so much easier to care for. And I assume that you will be posting a picture soon?

This was addressed to Alphabet Pam.

your hair is below shoulder length and the 3 inches will keep it shoulder length or longer.

To me, hair that is shoulder length and above really shows every inch that is cut.

If you are wanting to keep the "look" that you have now, I would talk to your stylist and tell them you want the minimum cut off that will keep it healthy.

It's not drastic to me, but I get crazy with my hair. :D In fact, all this haircut talk in the last week (and a bit of IRL ennui) has led me to make a Saturday appointment to chop. mine. off! :hurray:

I can't wait! :w00t:

How short are you going to go? And what style? I can totally see you with short hair. You have such a pretty face and such a fine bone structure that you would look good with short hair. :) So you will post a picture as well, right?

Guest Shanna

3 inches is drastic to me. But that is just me. My husband like long hair. We just had to cut off about 5 inches this weekend because it just didnt look nice anymore. It is at my shoulder blades now. I would ask your husband if 3 inches is drastic before I did it.

And now that I have found something he likes I don't want to mess it up.

A curly perm would definitely mess it up! I'd probably go more conservative and cut off 2 inches. Can't imagine that not getting all the split ends.

I think it depends. When I met dh I had short (think Annie Lennox) hair. He obviously liked it enough to ask me out. Over the past 22 years, I've had very long hair and very short hair and everything in between. I don't consult dh on haircuts, because it's really not a "thing" with him.

What you're describing might hit your dh as a shock - maybe ask him first?

I had my hair cut and colored Monday. I cut off........... 8". I feel so light and it turned out really cute. My dh even liked it. It comes up to my neck and it is even a different color. So, if you feel like it, cute it. :grouphug:

Mary H

How short are you going to go? And what style? I can totally see you with short hair. You have such a pretty face and such a fine bone structure that you would look good with short hair. :) So you will post a picture as well, right?

:blush: Yes, I'll get to update my avatar! :D I really need a confidence boost at the moment and I almost always get that from changing my hair drastically.

I'm going ultra short...Jean Seberg-ish but with a bit more length at the crown and sides:

BoutPatricia1.jpg

I'm so excited! Now if I were only feeling brave enough to color it wildly... ;)

Oh, it's ever so much better. I was getting weighed down (mostly emotionally) dealing with all that hair. It just touches my shoulders now and is so much better.

The way I figure, if I don't like it, I'll just live with it for eight weeks and try again. If it's a drastic cut, I just cry, make the best of it, and wait it out.

As for hubby --well, I do want to please him, but he's so laid back that he just goes with the flow. I know what he *doesn't* like, so I try not to do that, you know? But otherwise, like me, he just gets used to it.

I guess I *am* kinda carefree about hair, now that you mention it. It's just not on my radar of things to think much about. I go for fairly simple cuts.

Not so much with the picture. Well, maybe.

:blush: Yes, I'll get to update my avatar! :D I really need a confidence boost at the moment and I almost always get that from changing my hair drastically.

I'm going ultra short...Jean Seberg-ish but with a bit more length at the crown and sides:

I'm so excited! Now if I were only feeling brave enough to color it wildly... ;)

This is really cute. I like it but I don't think that I could pull it off.

Just don't so anything drastic. So I asked this morning what specifically does this mean. He said get the minimum amount cut but that perming would probably be ok as I usually curl it with a 1/4" curling iron. I will style it before I go in and ask her if she can make it look like this without me having to spend half an hour curling it everyday. I will let you guys know how it goes. Appt. is next Tuesday. I will also try to get kids to help me post a pic. Thanks for all advice.

• 2 weeks later...
So you will post a picture as well, right?

Here it is (posted in this thread so as not to hijack Nancypants)... :D

debbihalf.jpg

I do love it, but it's been a while since it was short so I'm still getting used to it...and the, er, natural highlights IYKWIM... :001_huh: :001_smile:

debbihalf.jpg

I do love it, but it's been a while since it was short so I'm still getting used to it...and the, er, natural highlights IYKWIM... :001_huh: :001_smile:

OMG, you're so PRETTY! I would love to pull off a cut like that.

How do you get your eyebrows that perfect? Geezopete.

OMG, you're so PRETTY! I would love to pull off a cut like that.

How do you get your eyebrows that perfect? Geezopete.

:blush: Thankfully, I don't have to fuss too much with the brows, leaving me lots of energy to deal with other issues...like excessive shine, stumpy lashes, and chocolate cravings. ;):D

debbihalf.jpg

Super Cute!!

You mean... you were BORN with those?

Good golly.

I, on the other hand, look like this before I pluck and shave:

zawdi.jpg

:lol::lol: Well, I do have to tidy them a touch, but the overall shape's pretty good. I do so wish I could say the same for other, er...shapes. ;)

I, on the other hand, look like this before I pluck and shave:

Paaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is not nice to do that without warning when a person has a mouthful of Morning Life's Blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue_smilie: