Menu

reading book series

My son was an anti-reader at that age too - then we started reading Percy Jackson. He really turned around after that and has read quite a few adventure series about boy heroes. Right now he's reading the fourth Artemis Fowl book.

Other books he really enjoyed at that age were:

Where the Red Fern Grows

Call of the Wild

The Alchemist series

Alex and the Ironic Gentleman

Timothy and the Dragon's Gate

Jeremy Fink and the Meaning of Life

My DD11 always gets books from these series:

The Mysterious Benedict Society

100 Cupboards

The Shadow Children Series (by M. Haddix)

The Missing Series (by M. Haddix)

39 Clues

Percy Jackson

The Theodosia Series (by R. L. LaFevers)

Wrinkle in Time

The Time Thief (The Gideon Trilogy)

The Name of this Book is Secret (The Secret Series) Try this one! It's very witty and kicked off her love of reading!

My son is not at grade level. He is at 4th grade level and unfortunately his comprehension when reading is not too good. I still would love to get him started on a series that maybe would catch his interest and have him love reading.

Then take the reading down another level and let him read for a while at a simpler level. Try Mr. Popper's Penguins, Amelia Bedlia, Pippi Longstocking, Roald Dahl, etc.

My son is not at grade level. He is at 4th grade level and unfortunately his comprehension when reading is not too good. I still would love to get him started on a series that maybe would catch his interest and have him love reading.

Some on my list are at that level.

We're in that in between stage with my 8yr. and I find it hard to find a series to keep him interested.

He's reading

Encylopedia Brown

Hardy Boys Mysteries

Andrew Lost Series (which I think is too low, but he loves them!)

Frindle (not a series, though but look at other books by Andrew Clements)

The Box Car Children

The Shadow Children might fall into that level.

Thanks Mrs Mungo. I will try some of those books. He does like Amelia Badilia.

Thanks

Lillian

No problem! I have found that letting them read at their level for a while helps them think they DON'T hate reading, then you can push their level forward just a bit with something a little harder that they will love. Hope it helps! :)

I just want to encourage you not to discount reading aloud to him. My sister is an avid reader now who was below grade level for many years and *hated* reading until after highschool. My mom continued to read aloud to her until she was out of highschool. They read Lord of the Rings, Wind in the Willows, Pride and Prejudice, pretty much anything she was interested in. Now she is a well-read adult who loves literature.

DS is currently reading the Roscoe Riley Rules series (7 books). They are written at a 3.0 - 3.5 grade level, but the interest level is up to fifth grade. They are great books and written for the boys. I have heard DS laugh out loud while reading parts of them so that is always a good sign.:001_smile:

My DS is 9 and loves Percy Jackson, the 39 Clues, Kane Chronicles, Beverly Cleary books- he really liked Tales of A 4th Grade Nothing, Dr Doolittle (maybe look for a revised one that is more culturally sensitive), and Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. If he's really struggling to just enjoy things, you could also try comic books like Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes, and Garfield, or even the cute Bad Kitty series. My DS likes all of those even if they are easy. He used to read and love the Goosebumps series too.

My son is not what I'd call an avid reader but these are things he'll read on his own by choice without me asking him to or reminding him to finish.

Wow this is great. I have made a list of these great book series and will try them with my son. I continue and will continue to read aloud to him to encourage the love of reading. I also read to my daughter (5years old) all the time and she does show interest in reading. Thanks

If he doesn't enjoy reading because it is still hard for him, you might want to look at graphic novels. We just got one of the Boxcar Children, we have Pilgrims Progress, there are tons of them. You also mighjt look into unabridged audio books, for example let him listen to the first Percy jackso or 39 Clues book (both awesome serieses) and see if that interests him in reading the next ones.

Sart with easy and low-brow.

Captain Underpants then

Diary of a Wimpy Kid series then

the 39 Clues then

Percy Jackson series then

he'll be on his way...

Once you get to the 39 clues I would read aloud to him, the stop reading at a particularly exciting part. Leave the book lying around. Keep busy. Don't look at him. When he reads do not comment. Give him snacks.

Edited by yellowperch