Menu

I'd like ideas for the 6-10 boy age range.

My son is 8, and he loves the Hank the Cowdog series of books. Now, these are purely entertainment, but he laughs out loud every time he reads one.

This summer my son is participating in a Summer Club that involves building circuits. He is interested in electronics. It is free to participate, but you have to buy a circuit kit and a multimeter. The website is www.quickstudylabs.com if you think your boy might be interested. The man who runs it also has several classes available online that could take several years to complete.

We are also looking into joining the Young Scientists Club. You get a kit each month that deals with a particular topic. There is an experiment included, as far as I know.

My son is forever telling me he is bored, although he is an avid reader and he has sports interests he pursues. I am looking forward to seeing the rest of the responses you get--it might help me out too.

Jennifer

I am so glad you asked this! I was going to do a new post about a very successful birthday gift that I just got for my 8yo son, but since you asked... Have you ever heard of Snap Circuits? This is from Amazon (where I bought mine):

Elenco's new Snap Circuits makes learning electronics easy and fun! Just follow the colorful pictures in our manual and build exciting projects such as FM radios, digital voice recorders, AM radios, burglar alarms, doorbells and much more! You can even play electronic games with your friends. All parts are mounted on plastic modules and snap together with ease. Enjoy hours of educational fun while learning about electronics. No tools required. Uses 4 "AA" batteries. Not included.

Product Features

• AWARDS: The National Parenting Center-Seal of Approval, Dr. Toy 100 Best Children's Products, Dr Toy Best Educational Products
  • Contains over 60 Snap-Together parts. Build over 300 exciting projects.
  • Clear and concise Illustrated Manual Included and Available Online.
  • Build a Radio, Doorbell, burglar alarm and more.

http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-SC-300-Snap-Circuits/dp/B0000683A4/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1210107425&sr=8-1

My son is a bit on the "nerdy" side, I guess. We call him our little "engineer", because that is how he thinks. So if you have a boy with this personality type, he would probably love Snap Circuits. My ds plays with his ALL the time.

Toys: Legos, Playmobil, wooden blocks, matchbox cars, little plastic animals, Schleich figures, and assorted weaponry that they can terrorize each other with.

Books: Hardy Boys, Hank the Cowdog, Freddy the Pig, and Redwall.

Games: Stratego (we have original, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings versions).

They love to play basketball, baseball, run around the backyard having battles, swimming...almost anything active.

Cindy

My ds will be 8 in 2 days!

He loves Legos, bionicles and k'nex.

His favorite books are trivia type and joke books (e'gad!). He loves Harry Potter and Clue Finder computer games.

He loves science and we do a lot of experiments around here usually taken from Janice VanCleave's books.

He partipates in soccer and tae kwon do. He does much better in TKD (IMO, maybe not his!).

I'm interested in the Young Scientist's Club. If purplemama could share more about this I'd be much obliged.

Great thread. Thanks!

Favorite toys? Lego kits, Imaginext toys, K'Nex

Independent science kits? Snap Circuits from Elenco are great!

Educational "toys"? I would say the above fall into this category

Independent studies? Which Way USA from Highlights

Must own books? Hatchet, My Side of the Mountain series, Redwall series, Roald Dahl books, Harry Potter series

Games? Apples to Apples Jr., Whoonu from Cranium, UNO, Skipbo are the favorites here

What does or did your 6-10 year old like to do? Read, ride bikes, build Legos, play pretend play with a variety of items like the Imaginext and the Legos, pretend play outdoors, swim, hike, play games, play soccer, climb trees

I have a 6 yr ds and a 10 yr ds.

10year old ds:

Toys/Games: Risk, Chess, computer games, legos (and lego computer games!), plastic blow gun/target, plastic cross-bow/target, robots, pine derby car (he and dh made theirs together)

Hobbies I've introduced to the kids (they enjoy them but they really need me to do them with them): soap carving (with popsicle stick "knives", leatherworking, knitting, simple household repairs

Lots of outdoor stuff: hiking, biking, swimming, camping, soccer, kickball . . . .

Books: anything by Jules Verne, Star Trek books, books by Paulson, etc.