Menu

If your oldest will be in 1st next year...

musicianmom

and you have younger children, how do you schedule?

I noticed in the 1st grade planning thread that many of you are planning a year similar to what I would like to do with dd. I just cannot figure out how to schedule it with my other two! My 3-year-old will not nap, and she can't be trusted alone for quiet time.

This is what I want to do next year:

Math -- Singapore 2B

LA -- WWE1, FLL 2, HWT, AAS 4*

Science -- BFSU, Handbook of Nature Study

Lit/Hist/Geog -- Ambleside 1

Finish Song School Latin that we started this year

Artistic Pursuits

(*We're not doing the full AAS program, she spells the words and we go over the rule only if she has trouble with something.)

On top of all that, dd is voluntarily spending 1-2 hours a day practicing piano and of course wants my help frequently.

So where will the 3.5-year-old and the 2-year-old fit into all this?

I wondered that too at the time... When my oldest was in first grade, the kids were 6, 4, 3, and 2. I think the main thing to keep in mind is that the essential basics (reading, writing, math) really only take 45-60 minutes per day. The rest is gravy. Get to it when you can, and if you can't don't worry about it. :)

This year with the kids being 7, 5, 4, and 3 I wondered even more how I would get it all done with 3 kids wanting learning time. Somehow we have managed it. Now I'm starting to wonder about NEXT year... :)

It never ends...

my oldest is in 1st, I have a 3.5y/o and a 8 month old.

Generally when I do school work with DD, 3.5y/o can be trusted to do some activities, I often let him do some computer games or other 'close by but independent' work/play. He likes to play at doing some 'school' too, so I can sit him with a workbook for a little while. If it's floor play like duplo then little one will play (annoy) him! Little one still naps a fair bit, but we've had lessons with him squirming on my lap.

For me it's either a) play elsewhere or b) I'll set a special activity to occupy them for 20mins at a time - after which DD can usually finish independently...

My oldest is first grade now, and I have a 4 year old and 22 month old.

Morning:

Get up and eat breakfast, read Bible during this time

After breakfast, start math. I flit back and forth since we use a more independent program (I just have to briefly explain a new concept). Littles play independently.

Next we try to do grammar. FLL takes very little time.

Then we do reading. DS reads one page out loud, then I leave him to read on his own while I tend littles.

Big break here! (during which I might do math with 4 year old if he asks for it)

Lunch

After lunch, I have DS1 read library books of his choice while I put toddler to bed. I make this take about 20 minutes. I was doing quiet time for the 4 year old, and sometimes still do if he's in a bad mood, but lately he's wanted to stay up to do a reading lesson.

Now that toddler is in bed, I do the rest of school with DS1 until we finish. The 4 year old plays independently. If he starts to be in the way and is whiny, he goes to his room. Quiet time for him just means staying in his room. He can play and is usually anything but quiet. :)

During that morning time, if the toddler is especially fussy and won't go play, I'll put him in his crib for 10-15 minutes so we can finish. He needs that pretty rarely now. He's learning. :)

Hope that helps! I'd say that if your kids can't do quiet time, that'd be a good thing to work on over the summer - training them all to do quiet time.

I am wondering the same thing. My first grader will be my oldest student next year because my first two will be away at college. That leaves only my 3.5 yo active, ornery boy - who JUST gave up his nap despite every single effort possible to the contrary. :ack2:

I am considering some desperate measures, such as moving into the next room for school work and letting him watch a half hour of TV a day (he currently loves Disney's Jake and the Neverland Pirates).

And I am also considering getting him a Leapster and letting him play on that for another half hour a day.

In theory, that should buy me an hour of uninterrupted time. In theory. Yeah, I'm pretty nervous about next year as well.

I know some people are anti-school room but...

My oldest was in 1rst this year, followed by Kindy, 3yo & a baby. The single MOST helpful thing we did that made school easier was having our school room. There is a gate across the door so that there is no wandering away. In addition to our school stuff, I have two small shelving units that have all of our quiet, non-electronic toys. While we do school, the younger 2 (& sometimes the Kindy) play with their toys. They wander around, build with their blocks, look at books, 5yo does Playmobil, baby rolls all over the place being cute. They do their thing, while we do our school & it isn't to noisy b/c I made sure there were only quiet toys in the room.

My oldest is a 1st grader and I also have a 4yo, 2yo, and a newborn. The baby just arrived so I've had 3 dc for the majority of this year. I decided to send my 4yo to our church's preschool 3 days/week this year. While it was great for him, school was harder when he's gone. He entertains the 2yo on the other days in our playroom which is close to the schoolroom. When he's gone, the 2yo constantly disrupts us. If he isn't disrupting us, I'd better go investigate immediately! The best distractions I've found for him are pattern blocks and workbooks that he can scribble in.

When my 4yo is with us he also likes to participate in school. We often wait until the little one's nap to get down to our tougher subjects (like math and LA). He's been leaning phonograms right along with his brother, doing handwriting work in the salt box and working his way through EM and Miquon Orange. It's all voluntary for him. 4yos don't have any mandatory school wok in our house.

On the bad days, I'll let the little guys watch Leapfrog or Schoolhouse Rock. I haven't needed to do that much this year but I might need it more next year when I have 2 students plus a baby and 3yo. Not sure what that's going to look like yet.

My oldest is in 1st grade this year and I also have a Ker, a 4 year old and a 2 year old.

My strategy has been to do the core subjects in the morning when everyone is fresh. We eat breakfast then spend about an hour and a half at the kitchen table doing work (usually the Ker is done and down playing after 45 minutes). I find that as long as I keep changing the activities I can keep the little ones happily occupied for that long. We rotate between coloring/writing, stickers, eating a snack, duplos, the train set, etc. Alternating an at the table activity with an activity on the floor also helps them so they don't sit in one spot for too long. Then we move upstairs to the playroom for a change of location- Here the big kids read to me and I do read alouds for another 45 min-hour while the little ones play with toys.

A big key is teaching your older children to work even in a noisy environment and also to teach them to stay on task if your attention is needed with the little ones.

We save any projects for after lunch when the 2 year old naps. Anyone old enough not to nap usually wants to join us on the project or experiment.

My 3 y/o will be starting preschool in the fall, so the 6 y/o and I will have a couple of hours each day of time together without needing to worry about her.

(Yes, I send my kids to preschool. It's been wonderful for my oldest and even though we're now going to be HSing, I still want the younger child to also have that opportunity.)

I have 3 little people in addition to my soon-to-be first grader.

My 3yo does not really nap anymore. There are some things I can trust him with or sometimes I send him out back and we watch him through the windows-or we sit on the patio while he golfs or plays in the fort.

We also have a school room that has foam tile floors, our art table, bean bag chairs, his tool bench with tools, and lots of games, coloring and art supplies, and sensory tubs. I can usually shut ourselves up in that room and keep him busy where I can still see him. DH put up a basketball goal in there so he shoots hoops while we do some things.

My almost 2yo is a different story. I cannot trust her and she is into everything and is such a mess! She's also in the lovely temper tantrum phase and spends most of her time on the floor screaming about something. We do as much as we can during meal times and snack times when her mouth is full of food and she cannot scream. She does nap and we do as much as we can during naptime.

My newborn is fussy and hard to school with too. I wish she would nap........It will be interesting to see how she does this fall when we start 1st grade. She'll probably be all over the place then so it will be crazy.

I have a portable file box for our work and I have a hanging file for each subject. There is also a manilla folder in each file for loose papers. I keep one week's worth of books and papers in the box. I refill every Sunday night. Then I can cart the box around with us wherever we are-on the patio, at the table, in the schoolroom. It keeps everything in one spot and keeps the little people out.

When all else fails, I tell DH that when he gets home he's in charge of the little people so we can get some things done. :tongue_smilie:

It's never quiet at our house! :willy_nilly:

I have a 1st grader this year plus a kindergartner, a three-year-old, and a baby. I always lay the baby down for a nap around 9 am and he has been sleeping 1 1/2 - 2 hrs, so that is my magic time. The two oldest work on math and then language arts, while the three-year-old plays. Sometimes I get out play-dough or pattern blocks for her. Sometimes she just plays nearby with her dolls or other toys. Teaching her to play quietly while we're working, so that she doesn't disturb the big kids or wake the baby, has been my biggest challenge this year.

The kindergartner is usually done with his work in about 45 min and then he happily skips off to play with the 3-year-old. They play together while the 1st grader finishes French, science, and then Sonlight read-alouds and history. The baby usually wakes up at some point in the midst of Sonlight readings. I nurse him while I finish reading. The first grader is taking about 2 hours to finish everything and then she practices piano for 30-45 min. I pull all the little kids into one of the bedrooms for storytime while she is practicing. That was hard at first, because she wanted me right next to her at the piano. I do sit with her when she practices on Saturday, but I've encouraged her to practice independently during the week and that has actually been good for her.

I think it's always a work in progress when you're scheduling with little ones. I know that the baby is probably going to give up his morning naps by the summer, so I'll be adjusting again this fall. I'm hoping he and the three-year-old will be somewhat willing to play together while we're working. Helping my kids to play independently has been worth all the work (and sometimes it has felt like very hard work).

One thing I do is school at night after my small girl goes to bed. We work on math, reading/LA or history at night (or a combination of those subjects). Last night, for example, she completed a bunch of exercises in the SM workbook, and did a page in her spelling book. Then I read aloud two chapters in our chapter book RA.

I do combine them in the morning for Bible stories and coloring and snack/story time (picture book RA). They also work on crafts together. My K student is 4.75 and my small girl will be 2.5 in May.

My small girl still naps (though I am fighting her for it) and we do science while she is napping.

Edited by MissKNG
typo

Guest RecumbentHeart

By the time we start first grade I will have a 4yo, a 3yo, and a 1yo. The younger two will nap (theoretically) and if my 4yo isn't napping at that point she will be participating to some degree (she's a relatively quiet, cooperative child). Even now I usually rely on nap time.

Thankfully I haven't yet had to deal with 3yos refusing to nap (so far) although my 3rd is definitely one who can't be left alone unless confined to a controlled/safe environment and even then ...

If he is refusing to nap next year, we have a large gated deck that serves as a huge play pen where he can run wild and play and I can supervise him through the sliding glass door from inside while working with the others. That, however, is weather dependent. I don't have any other ideas yet.

When we start first grade in July, my oldest will be 6. My other ds will be 4.5, and dd will be around 1 1/2. Younger ds is pretty good to entertain himself, and he will sit for a short reading lesson or look at books on his own. I am certainly not above turning on a movie for him. ;) He will probably want to listen in on a lot of our stuff next year.

I just hope dd still naps then, bc sometimes it's a struggle now. She will self-entertain for a very short amount of time, but we have to make sure the area is baby-proofed,

Did I also mention the lovely fact that we are about to put our home on the market? So who knows what will happen?

I'm thinking my own version of workboxes might be a good idea, in order for me to be on track.

It's going to be interesting, that's for sure. As long as the three R's are mostly getting done, I'm not going to stress too much. :)

My oldest is a 1st grader and I also have a 4yo, 2yo, and a newborn. The baby just arrived so I've had 3 dc for the majority of this year. I decided to send my 4yo to our church's preschool 3 days/week this year. While it was great for him, school was harder when he's gone. He entertains the 2yo on the other days in our playroom which is close to the schoolroom. When he's gone, the 2yo constantly disrupts us. If he isn't disrupting us, I'd better go investigate immediately! The best distractions I've found for him are pattern blocks and workbooks that he can scribble in.

this was more helpful than you know! We made a decision to keep ds home next year instead of our church pre-k and I have been stressing about the decision. I had not thought about the help he could be with distracting younger dd! thanks! :)

I wondered that too at the time... When my oldest was in first grade, the kids were 6, 4, 3, and 2. I think the main thing to keep in mind is that the essential basics (reading, writing, math) really only take 45-60 minutes per day. The rest is gravy. Get to it when you can, and if you can't don't worry about it. :)

This year with the kids being 7, 5, 4, and 3 I wondered even more how I would get it all done with 3 kids wanting learning time. Somehow we have managed it. Now I'm starting to wonder about NEXT year... :)

It never ends...

This is so true. :lol:

I would tell you my schedule but when you have littles it is CONSTANTLY changing. Every time I think we are in a groove, something changes. What seems to work for me is just constantly reevaluating priorities and current schedules. What HAS TO get done? Does your oldest get up early? Stay up late? Is there a time when Daddy can help? We have awesome days and days where school gets skipped. Most fall somewhere in between. Hopefully you find what works.

:iagree:and congrats on the new baby.