Menu

What else do I need for Language Arts, if I use FLL and WWE??

5sweeties

I'll have a first and second grader next year, and in looking over these programs, I think they will enjoy them. I'm wondering what else I'll need to add for LA? Literature? Handwriting? Spelling? Not sure what is needed in addition to FLL and WWE.

It would seem that all of the copywork would replace Handwriting, but I have already purchased Zaner-Bloser for them anyway. I think I may have them do ZB frequently, but not daily?

We will be finishing up our phonics work over the summer and both are good readers...reading at 2nd and 1st grade levels currently.

Thanks!

FLL and WWE would be sufficient for the grammar/writing portion. Just make sure they read to you frequently and ind. if they can handle it. My first grader can handle a short book independently for about 10 minutes or so. I don't see the need for anything formal at that age (for reading). As for handwriting...if they know how to write then the copywork should be sufficient. You could have them do the ZB book a few times a week if you wanted. It wouldn't be overkill. Looks good, though!

Spelling - maybe. Some use copywork to reinforce spelling and don't do any "workbook" spelling. I have one child using Spectrum and two others going into MCP next year.

Literature - two different things. On one hand, your child needs to read level appropriate books for "fun" reading. On the other, your child can/should read books that relate to your history, science, art, music, etc.

We read the literature recommendations from Core Knowledge for "fun" and the WTM recommended books for the other. In both categories, I read some books aloud and they read some books silently. I require narrations from both (but not every book!)

I think Handwriting *instruction* is separate from copywork/dictation, but my soon-to-be 5th grader is still using a handwriting curriculum because his writing is bad.

We are planning on using FLL and WWE next year, but we are also planning All About Spelling, Vocabulary work from our read-alouds and early readers(like the poster above me suggested). Hope that helps you!