Menu

Will KB or TT take less time than Saxon Math???

Thanks ladies, that kind of gives me an idea. I would think that anything at this point would take a lesser amount of time than Saxon, at least, I hope. Maybe we'll give TT a try next year, if not maybe Kinetic books or maybe even back to Saxon. Decisions, decisions....

My daughter uses TT Geometry. It takes about 10 minutes to watch the lesson and 30 minutes to complete the problems. She does the Practice section first, then grades the problems herself using the CD-ROM. (This is especially helpful in Geometry because the proofs have so many steps -- a student can be "almost right" or accidentally skip steps. TT explains the steps in detail so the student really understands what he's doing.) After the Practice problems are corrected, she does the Problem Set independently. I grade that for her.

We've been very pleased with Teaching Textbooks. It breaks the material down into small steps. The narrator explains the material carefully, sometimes over and over. This might be overkill for some students, but my daughter was skittish about going into geometry. Teaching Textbooks is giving her a lot of hand-holding, which is building up her confidence.

I realize I'm writing about Geometry and not Algebra, but I did want to put in a recommendation for this great program. HOWEVER -- I don't know that I'd choose a math program based on how long it takes the student to get done with it every day. I want my student to understand what she's doing and feel comfortable and confident. Last year when she was taking Algebra I (with Foerster's, using the Math Without Borders CD-ROM), some of the problem sets were so long that there was NO WAY she could finish in a single day. So she would spend two or even three days on one lesson. It made the year longer, but she did every problem in the Foerster Algebra I book. I had to make sure she wasn't just skimming through Algebra I.

If I were using Teaching Textbooks for algebra, I'd probably use Algebra I and the first half of Algebra II and call it Algebra I. Then I'd finish Algebra II and at least the first half of Pre-Calculus and call it Algebra II.

Edited by Rebecca VA

We use KB here. It is not time consuming and I like it better than TT. Not to mention sooooo much less expensive. We have friends that use TT, and the kids are constantly complaining about it.

Saxon was never appealing to us, not in its presentation, or in its lack of color. We used Calvert math for K-8th instead.

So, fwiw, our dc have been successful with KB and there's "no complaining" when it's math time, in fact they are happy to do it! :D

PS.

Oh, and yes, it takes them less time than when they did Calvert math for elementary grades.

Edited by lavender

My daughter uses TT Geometry. It takes about 10 minutes to watch the lesson and 30 minutes to complete the problems. She does the Practice section first, then grades the problems herself using the CD-ROM. (This is especially helpful in Geometry because the proofs have so many steps -- a student can be "almost right" or accidentally skip steps. TT explains the steps in detail so the student really understands what he's doing.) After the Practice problems are corrected, she does the Problem Set independently. I grade that for her.

We've been very pleased with Teaching Textbooks. It breaks the material down into small steps. The narrator explains the material carefully, sometimes over and over. This might be overkill for some students, but my daughter was skittish about going into geometry. Teaching Textbooks is giving her a lot of hand-holding, which is building up her confidence.

I realize I'm writing about Geometry and not Algebra, but I did want to put in a recommendation for this great program. HOWEVER -- I don't know that I'd choose a math program based on how long it takes the student to get done with it every day. I want my student to understand what she's doing and feel comfortable and confident. Last year when she was taking Algebra I (with Foerster's, using the Math Without Borders CD-ROM), some of the problem sets were so long that there was NO WAY she could finish in a single day. So she would spend two or even three days on one lesson. It made the year longer, but she did every problem in the Foerster Algebra I book. I had to make sure she wasn't just skimming through Algebra I.

If I were using Teaching Textbooks for algebra, I'd probably use Algebra I and the first half of Algebra II and call it Algebra I. Then I'd finish Algebra II and at least the first half of Pre-Calculus and call it Algebra II.

Your experience is the opposite of mine. Dd got through all the odds of a Foerster's Algebra 1 lesson in about an hour. She would do one lesson a day but take two or three days to do the word problems lessons. TT Geometry, however, could take two hours.

Interesting...

When my dd was working in Kinetic Books Algebra I she worked for 30-45 minutes/day. I actually had her use a timer rather than doing a set amount of work. How long I had her work on it each day depended on what else we had going on that day.

She's using Kinetic Books Algebra II right now. She works for 45 minutes each day. She started a Teen Ethics class on Fridays two months ago (only two more classes now) and I've had her do just 20 minutes of math on the days that class meets. She's gone for 3 hours for that class (and the prep work for it takes her 3-4 hours/week), so I cut her math back for that day.

For Algebra I, I'd probably start with 30 minutes/day and then assess how much progress she's made through the program after one month. At that point you can adjust the amount of time upward if you need to.

I reassess every two months or so to make sure that the program can be finished before it times out.

Time is an issue for us with Saxon, because with Saxon dd takes FOREVER it seems. Up to 2 hours, and sometimes more for one whole lesson. She overthinks/ overanalyzes everything so that is probably why she takes as long as she does. She does well on her tests in Saxon scoring 90 and above, but the time that she takes doing Saxon sucks her time away from other subjects that she needs to be working on. Ironically, she gets through her tests in about an hour as opposed to the time it takes for a regular lesson for her. For those who use TT, do you think that coming from Saxon 8/7 w/ pre-algebra, she would be adequately prepared for TT Algebra ? Thanks!

When my dd was working in Kinetic Books Algebra I she worked for 30-45 minutes/day. I actually had her use a timer rather than doing a set amount of work. How long I had her work on it each day depended on what else we had going on that day.

She's using Kinetic Books Algebra II right now. She works for 45 minutes each day. She started a Teen Ethics class on Fridays two months ago (only two more classes now) and I've had her do just 20 minutes of math on the days that class meets. She's gone for 3 hours for that class (and the prep work for it takes her 3-4 hours/week), so I cut her math back for that day.

For Algebra I, I'd probably start with 30 minutes/day and then assess how much progress she's made through the program after one month. At that point you can adjust the amount of time upward if you need to.

I reassess every two months or so to make sure that the program can be finished before it times out.

Angie,

Do you have any idea how long it will take at the pace she is going at? It is taking my son forever and it doesn't seem like we are going to get through it? We did start late in the year after switching to it from another program, so I wouldn't expect him to finish by the end of our school year, but I don't know when he'll be done at the rate he is going.

Time is an issue for us with Saxon, because with Saxon dd takes FOREVER it seems. Up to 2 hours, and sometimes more for one whole lesson. She overthinks/ overanalyzes everything so that is probably why she takes as long as she does. She does well on her tests in Saxon scoring 90 and above, but the time that she takes doing Saxon sucks her time away from other subjects that she needs to be working on. Ironically, she gets through her tests in about an hour as opposed to the time it takes for a regular lesson for her. For those who use TT, do you think that coming from Saxon 8/7 w/ pre-algebra, she would be adequately prepared for TT Algebra ? Thanks!

We've never done it here, but I would have no doubt that Saxon 8/7 to TT Algebra would be an easy transition--a relief for both of you since it should take less time.

I am always the voice of doom ... lately anyway ... so, here is what I think again.

Math, the higher up you go, will always take longer! A shorter lesson can mean that you missed something or that you failed to master that skill/concept.

It is not unusual or should be unexpected to spend between one and two hours with math in highschool. :)

Homeschooling HS was not that long ago, a few years. Yet, we would spend no less than one hour with learning and practice for Algebra I. I too remember a page or two of notebook paper required to find the solution. I remember a geometry proof taking 20 minutes, just one. Combine extra work for mastery, and sometimes math would take as long as 2.5 hours. Be careful of what I refer to as "short-term memory mastery."

IMO, you need to teach them to "sit" with math. I've said it before - how I view the preparation for higher math and the length of time for learning and practice - so I will spare you. I know that most of the time all anyone hears (reads) is blah blah blah, LOL.

If it is the Saxon teaching style, an unfit match based on the incremental approach, or some other reason beyond the length of time for your student, then I say change. :)

No one wants to hear or to look forward to an hour or two of math. :) DUH