Menu

S/O "How often do you see a doctor?"

This thread has amazed me:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256459

I am amazed that some posters have gone for YEARS without going in for an annual physical. :001_huh: Five years? Ten? TWENTY? :svengo:

Aren't you concerned that you might be missing something that a simple check-up and yearly blood work would find? I understand not being on insurance (BTDT), but otherwise, I just don't get this... :confused:

I've never gone for a "physical" - I just go to the doctor if I'm sick. (or, like right now, pregnant)

I haven't had one since high school (sports physicals every year).

When I called our doc and requested one it was a confusing mess, they had no idea what I wanted :lol:

I'm not worried about missing stuff. I go when I'm sick, that (imo) is what a doctor is for, to treat illness.

Actually, no I am not concerned. I do not believe in medicating everything anyway so what is there to do. The conversations go like this:

Doc: You have high cholesterol:

Me: Yep.

Doc: You need meds.

Me: Nope.

I'll pass. I do go to my GYN slightly more often but I haven't been there in about 2 years I think. Maybe longer.

Yes, but I mean not to go AT ALL for ten years? It's great if someone is that healthy, so far as he or she knows, but what about what you might miss?

Here's an example: Years ago, I was feeling just a bit under the weather, but nothing that I would have seen a doctor about. But I was going to Africa for a while, so I needed to see a doctor to get a prescription for malaria drugs.

While I was there, the doctor decided to just give me a check-up, and he found a growth on my thyroid that I had never noticed. But when he pointed it out, it really WAS noticeable. Turns out it was cancer. :001_huh:

My question is, If you don't get a check-up and blood work every so often, what might you miss? Cervical cancer? Thyroid disorders? Pre-diabetes? An STD you never knew you had? :confused:

I recently went to the DR for antibiotics. (the kids had an illness that required us all to be treated). She said that I needed to be seen for a physical since it'd been a few years. So I went. And what did I get for my $25? She checked me over exactly the same as when I went for the antibiotics. Asked the same questions. The only thing that was different was that she took blood. :confused: Could've done that at the other appointment and saved me $25!

I have not been to any type of doctor, minus the ER when I had to get stiches after opening a can of cat food and practically sliced my finger off, since I had GYN surgery in April of 2005.

You would have to drug me to get me to go and even then it would be a fight. You should have seen DH trying to get me out the door just to go the ER. He is a BIG man and I am not big at all, he had quite a bit of trouble-and I had already took a narcotic pain pill!

I haven't been in years. Honestly, there has been about twice I should have gone, once for poison ivy, once for the flu. Otherwise I don't worry. I pay attention to the subtle changes in my body. Many of the issues I've had are related to stress and adding more debt (we have no insurance) will only increase my stress level. We are fortunately mostly healthy.

I've never gone for a "physical" - I just go to the doctor if I'm sick. (or, like right now, pregnant)

Same here. Plus a PAP smear, which used to be annual, but here in Australia they seem to recommend every second year.

I see my OBGYN annually. I see my general practitioner about that often as well.

I too don't want to be one of those people that hear, "If we had caught it in time . . ." I take cervical and breast cancer very seriously. I also think that having an established doctor helps in the long run. I've met people who expect a doctor to really know what's up with them and treat them like they've know them all along as soon as crisis hits.

I feel the same way about vets. If I've been bringing my pet to you for checkups, you had better treat them like regulars. And, vice versa. Don't expect the vet to know your pets intimately if they've never met them before.

Medical history is important.

I admit I don't take my kids annually because they don't do blood work and such at that age unless I request it anyway. I recently took Nathan in because I had concerns and wanted blood work done. I also had them tested for celiac.

The last time I had a regular physical as opposed to my annual GYN one with my midwife was when my DS was a baby. I'm healthy, have no family history of anything (my grandparents lived to their 80's and 90's including one grandma who lived to 99), and am in my early 30's. We have insurance so cost isn't the issue- it's more having to arrange childcare.

:iagree:

Even in my (extremely biased) Community Health text, the author said it wasn't worth going for a physical at my age more often than every 5 years, I think it said? Even Paps, if you have three clean ones in a row you don't have to come in yearly.

I have no ins now but it was about the same when I did--sick or pregnant only.

Edited by LittleIzumi

Yes, I worry a little.

But we've been without medical insurance on and off for the last 15 years or so. And there are always much more important things to do with our money that take either or both of the adults to a doctor, just in case.

The kids go for a check-up every couple of years. My husband and I go only when there is a specific reason, and there usually isn't.